Thread: ETSX vs. 575

mtbr member
    May 2006

ETSX vs. 575

I've posted questions about both of these in the manufacturers forums, but thought i'd try here too. Im looking for a new XC/AM bike, i really consider myself more of a crosscountry guy and climbing performance is high on my list of priorities, but its time to upgrade from my schwinn rocket 88. I'd like to keep things as light as possible (under 28 pounds) without breaking the bank, and dont do any drops or real downhilling. lots of relatively smooth single track around salt lake, plus a fair amount of time in moab. ideally i'd buy a very slightly used frame and then build it up as I want it. so lets hear it...Rocky mountain ETSX vs Yeti 575...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The new model ETSX has more travel than the old version at 5". The Yeti has um, 5.75" of travel. The Yeti is more of an enduro style bike and should be stronger. At least compared to the older etsx where frame breakage was fairly common. Frame weights for both bikes are fairly close, so building a sub 30lb bike would not be hard for either model.

The 575 would be a better Moab bike imo. More travel for the rough stuff. The 575 takes a 6" fork no problem as well. For price and durability, I would buy a 575.

CAN YOU DIG IT??!!??!!!??
    Czech Rocky Mtn. warranty against Yeti. Not sure what Yetis policy is but RM's ain't near as good as it used to be yrs ago. My LBS only carries a few of them now & they used to be their top seller. RM's warranty is next to nothing. Between the two - get th' Yeti.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

mtbr member
    I dont know your budget, but some other bikes you may want to consider is the Intense Spider (about 1800 for frame and shock) and the Titus Motolite. (about 1400, same as Yeti)

Another very viable option for some would be demo bikes. I was talking ot my LBS owner, he said Yeti was about to start selling the demo bikes. He said last year they sold a complete ASR demo for less than frame cost. Warranty on frame is still valid, and it is guaranteed to be in working order, but the parts are as is. not a big deal if you save 750 bucks to begin with...

Good luck

Matt

mtbr member
    May 2006

demo yeti

so how do you get a demo bike straight from yeti?

LBS Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by man w/ one hand
    Czech Rocky Mtn. warranty against Yeti. Not sure what Yetis policy is but RM's ain't near as good as it used to be yrs ago. My LBS only carries a few of them now & they used to be their top seller. RM's warranty is next to nothing. Between the two - get th' Yeti.
    Rocky offers a 5 year warrenty on the frame and they replaced my rear triangle after a problem caused by a mechanic not a design flaw. They might not have a life time warrenty but they have treated me more than fair so I would say they have great customer service.

mtbr member
    I think you have to go through a dealer for a demo bike, but you may contact Yeti and see.

Good luck

Matt

Ride on
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Hair Boy
    Rocky offers a 5 year warrenty on the frame and they replaced my rear triangle after a problem caused by a mechanic not a design flaw. They might not have a life time warrenty but they have treated me more than fair so I would say they have great customer service.
    Yeti also offers a 5 year warranty on the 575 frame, so I guess that's a wash.

mtbr member
    i've got an '04 etsx that i am using for all-around riding. I think it's a great climbing bike, and even though my model only has 4.5" of rear travel, it's pretty cush enough for everything but the roughest dh sections. at about 29lbs, i think it's a good mix of durability without weighing too much with the way I built it. I don't doubt it can be built lighter.

It does seem some have had frame failures with the ETSX, but i suppose it depends on how you ride. I'm not doing anything crazy, just enjoying the trails sensibly without pushing the bike into situations that it may not be designed for (not that I could!).

I'm sure the Yeti is a great bike too, but from my experience so is the ETSX. Particularly with climbing, i really enjoy it on the ETSX. It works perfect for me.

BBW
    mtbr member

thoughts

I wouldn't do any kind of jumps or drops on a ETS. This is a bike that I think it's not well understood on it's category. RM says it is something like a endurance or marathon XC bike. It's not strong enough for any rough stuff. I have seen some breaking.
    If you want a cushy bike with 4,5 to 5 inches but that it's not an ALL MOUNTAIN that can climb well, that's OK
    But, if you think you can do something a little more aggressive, go with the Yeti in this case

Although I would recomend the Titus Motolite (I own one). Same price as the Yeti and you will feel it like a XC machine (very efficient) but extremely capable on the rough

Hope it helps

a dad
    Jan 2004
    i ride a 575 and one of my riding partners rides a rocky mtn....the bikes are so totally different it kind of hard to compare...i like a more upright riding position and when i hop on the RM it feels pretty stretched out...its not much lighter than my yeti (and mine is built up heavier)....i don't think a couple pounds either way hinders climbing...i went from a spec stumpjumer to the yeti and gained a couple pounds and thought the yeti climbed better....i can spend hours climbing here in colorado, its not a problem....
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I rode an ETSX for the last couple of years before selling it and my DH bike and getting a new specialized enduro expert.

I really enjoyed the etsx for cross country - it was a great bike for 3 hour plus rides and climbed well. However i wouldn't recommend it if you were going to be getting a bit more aggresive - i found mine to be pretty loose with lateral flex and just didn't trust it enough to stand up to drops (its not made for them anyway) I have heard many stories both pro and con about Rocky warranty so its probably just like any other company and how well your bike shop represents you when dealing with the manufacturer.

Overall i thought it an excellent bike - i just wanted to move to one bike more my style and let someone else enjoy my DH bike that spent most of its life parked in the garage. You certainly do a pay a premium for a handmade bike but that comes with the territory.

The new enduro's are exactly what i was looking for 32ish lb 6 & 6 that you can ride the trails or the bigger stuff.

CAN YOU DIG IT??!!??!!!??
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Hair Boy
    They quoted my LBS 6 months on frames. LBS has virtualy dropped them due to that.

Taken from their site:

What Will Void Your Warranty
    A.Competition racing and any commercial activity i.e. Rental fleets, courier use, Police or security use.
    B.Installing or modified components other than those originally installed, or recommended by Rocky Mountain Bicycles.
    C.Purchasing a Rocky Mountain Bicycle from an unauthorized dealer.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"