Thread: Ergon Saddles

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Ergon Saddles

My current saddle (Chromag Moon DT) seems to be killing by butt lately and causing numbness, etc. Looking for a new one that's more comfy. Ergon saddles look like they could be a good solution - do any of you guys have experience with them? Currently looking at the SMA3 and the SME3. Or other brands/models that you would recommend?

mtbr member
    I have 3. I have two SME3s, both on HTs, and an SMA3 on my FS. When I first bought the SMA3, I put it on my HT. I hated it. I never had chaffing in my 10+ years of MTBing. On long rides sitting down regularly, it would chaff like no other saddle. It was not very forgiving when set up incorrectly, and I almost sold it to a friend. After re-reading the description on the Ergon website, I swapped out the SMA3 with a SME3. I put the SMA3 on my FS to replace the factory seat falling apart. That seemed to help more. When I got the SME3 set up correctly on my HT, it worked great. The SMA3 was better as soon as I put it on the FS bike, but I probably didn't remain in the saddle as much on my FS bike due to where I ride it. I never had any numbness, which is the primary reason I went with Ergon. I'd say getting them dialed in is key. I've also noticed these seats are more peculiar to your chamois. You can really tell where the padding difference is between different shorts. Also, you'll notice the SME3 and SMA3 are sized differently.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thanks Tim. So are you saying that you prefer the SME3 over the SMA3? Can you describe the differences between the two models?

mtbr member
    I have an SME3 Pro and like some of the marketing states... it's firm. I'll echo the setup comments, it needs some tuning to get comfy. The shape alleviates a lot of the chafing I have with other seats, and it's shape lends to dropped seat pedaling on the tail. Another bonus for me is the sweet spot seems set further forward in the rails then many others. YMMV

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I recently switched mine out for a SMC4 and absolutely love it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by VJPNW View Post
    I recently switched mine out for a SMC4 and absolutely love it.
    Just looked that one up and I think that might be the one for me... looks like there a few models - base, comp, and sport - which did you go with?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    don't forget to measure your sit bones to get the right size.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I believe it is the c and yes definitely measure the seat bone

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bull_dozer View Post
    Thanks Tim. So are you saying that you prefer the SME3 over the SMA3? Can you describe the differences between the two models?
    I take that back. I have two SMC3s, not SME3s (I just returned from the room the bikes are in). The SMA3 is slightly smaller in the same size as the SMC3. There may be other differences as well, not visible, such as padding firmness. The SMA3 is for all mountain riding, the SMC3 is for cross country riding, where you spend more time in the saddle. This definitely is true, being I had the issues with the SMA3 being used on a HT where I spent more time pedalling while seated. When I re-read the Ergon website, I went and swapped the seats and it's been good ever since.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I have sme3 but it didnt held up to my winter riding here in nz... its just a creaky bugger!!!

mtbr member
    Honestly WTB makes the best for the money. look at the Volt and the Pure. My second choice is SMP dynamic but I only use them for CX

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ggamster View Post
    Honestly WTB makes the best for the money. look at the Volt and the Pure. My second choice is SMP dynamic but I only use them for CX
    Funny you mention that. I agree WTB makes quality seats....that does not mean it will work for a rider as saddles are extremely personal. I was riding a WTB for about 6 months and on long rides, numbness, which is not cool. I switched to an Ergon and really like it! Their mid to top end saddles are very well made as well. Lot's of miles on mine and no numbness on long rides. =)
    The member formerly known as Redtires....

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Bent the rails on my wtb volt. Replaced it with a Ergon SME3. My ass hated the ergon. Chafing and saddle sores like Iíve never experienced before. Went back to the wtb and all is well again!

mtbr member
    Yup love WTB Pure saddles. No padded bike shorts. I can ride 5-7hrs/day for a week with no issues. Ideally get the saddle from some place you can return it. No telling what will make your butt happy. You just gotta try a bunch of saddles and see what feels good.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    FWIW I just picked up an SMA3 in medium. Wish I had done this long ago as it solves the little gripes I've had with my SME3 in small (I was on cusp of going either size). Same great shape but the additional padding is welcome. I'd imagine anyone considering one of the models should consider the A model unless they know they like FIRM.

mtbr member
    Ergon has a lot of marketing and I'm sure some of it is hooey. But one thing they are very good about is saying which saddle is for which purpose. This is the one for touring, it comes in standard and gel... this is the one for XC, it comes in standard, gel and fancy... this is the one for AM... etc. Grateful for that. Saddle ad copy is usually a lot like tire ad copy, the marketers get hold of it and tell you each saddle is the best for everything, which is useless.

mtbr member
    Ergon is highly underrated IMO... I can ride longer now and am so comfortable... do measure the bones though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A father is only as happy as his saddest child...