mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Entry level trail full suspension opinions

So much to sift through in searches I知 having a challenge getting what I知 looking for. I致e been riding a 2010 specialized hard rock 29er since well 2010.... I知 looking to add another bike that is a full suspension to get a bit more speed and confidence over roots, rocks, and drops. I知 looking for an entry level trail fs bike that uses modern trail geometry, some of the latest standards, but has lower end components that can be upgraded piece by piece as my wallet, and wife , allows. As I mentioned earlier I ride a 29er but I知 not stuck on wheel size so I知 up for 27.5 entry level bikes as well like the Marin Hawk Hill.

Looking for your thoughts/recommendations for this category. I want to have fun right away but be able to take it to another level through upgrades over time.

mtbr member
    Aluminum YT Jeffsy or Nukeproof Mega. Both have great spec for the price, and both can be had in 27.5 or 29er.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks Sid. Anyone else have some thoughts?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Commencal has the same business model as the above two, distributor to consumer. Good bang for the buck.
    I have a YT Jeffsy which is great for me, whatever that's worth.

mtbr member
    can always scour the used here and in pinkbike.

If you live overseas, chainreaction.com has tons of choices and sales.

in the states: evo.com has tons of Intense brand on sale, a couple in the 2k's . they have 5k tracers on sale for mid 2k's

They also have several Devinci's, Giants's, for 2K and under.......some great values.

All those are going to be great values, just find one that is your size. Personally I error on the side of the larger one if your close to one size or other. That is all your personal choice though. Good luck.

mtbr member
    I'm enjoying my Diamondback.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    my gf pretty much went from the same bike to a devinici troy and she loves it and can rip it down anything! now when new it is not the cheapest bike out there but it is a fantastic bike if you can find it used.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I just picked up the 2017 Trek Fuel EX 5 last week for $1699 at the LBS. It absolutely shreds and its climbing prowess has really surprised me. My previous bike was a '12 Giant Talon 1 29er. I'll keep it as a backup but I don't see it getting much action.

Trek Fuel EX 5 Review - Plumped-Up XC Pushover or Real Trail Monster? | ENDURO Mountainbike Magazine

mtbr member
    wow....fuel ex for 1699.....great choice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    The Hawk Hill really does have a lot going for it with modern geometry including wide bars and short stem, decent tires, and upgradeability. Air suspension bits too.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by ulozas18 View Post
    So much to sift through in searches I知 having a challenge getting what I知 looking for. I致e been riding a 2010 specialized hard rock 29er since well 2010.... I知 looking to add another bike that is a full suspension to get a bit more speed and confidence over roots, rocks, and drops. I知 looking for an entry level trail fs bike that uses modern trail geometry, some of the latest standards, but has lower end components that can be upgraded piece by piece as my wallet, and wife , allows. As I mentioned earlier I ride a 29er but I知 not stuck on wheel size so I知 up for 27.5 entry level bikes as well like the Marin Hawk Hill.

Looking for your thoughts/recommendations for this category. I want to have fun right away but be able to take it to another level through upgrades over time.
    i was very much enjoying my hawk hill until i dislocated my shoulder last month.

i'm looking forward to being cleared to ride a bike again by the doctor so i can enjoy it some more.

mtbr member
    id get a Trek Fuel EX

Gimme free stuff
    Entry level is subjective. Throw a price at us to work with.

That said, if you don't know what you actually want, used is your best bet. Save a lot of coin and get a solid build. Even if you buy something that is a few model years old it will likely still be quite relevant.

If you are tall (over 6') and interested in a 2014 kona process 134, PM me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF
    Smash

Short-Change-Hero
    Dont forget that Canyon is now selling in the US and is a similar business model to YT and Commencal. Would LOVE to get some time on a Spectral or Thrive.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I think this is the perfect time to go and demo a crap ton of bikes! Have fun with it and try to ride as many as you can to have a good basis for comparison. They're all going to feel so much better initially coming from a HT. But after you ride one or two a few times especially back to back, you can pick up on their nuances and rear suspension behavior. This is really important, as not every full suspension bike rides the same way. Once you get an idea of how they ride and how they suit your riding, get a budget together and start searching for a bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Two commencals here (AM for me, TR for my wife). Quite happy Would have strongly considered a Capra if they were in stock.
    His: 2017 Commencal Meta AM V4.2 Ride. With Zee brakes
    Hers: 2018 Commencal Meta TR V4.2. Zee, too!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Sounds like you want lower budget bike but how low? A FS bike not on sale for under $3k can be done but it does risk getting something that may be hard to upgrade, or that you may not want to upgrade. Still, this is another option on sale and under $3k, this time of year look for closeouts on new old stock, especially online retailers: https://www.coloradocyclist.com/devi...-complete-bike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk