mtbr member

New question here. ENDURO / TRAIL Compromises

I am a college student living in new england, and I have been riding my whole life. I want to start racing enduro next summer. I ride mostly trail with a decent amount of techy climbs. I do a few bike park days a year as I live close to highland. With this being said I have a 2014 Lapierre zesty 327 that I have build up over the past few years. I also have a Niner ros9 27.5+ for more trail / xc stuff. The Lapierre has suited me my riding style well and climbs alright, but it's had a few years of hard riding and I want something lighter. Im weighing options for my next bike and I definately want 27.5 because of the amount of technical climbing. I also want 150mm of travel. I am more inclined to boutique companies like transition or yeti, but not opposed to companies like specialized as they present a solid value. Im around 5000 for a budget. Open to all suggestions!!

ENDURO / TRAIL Compromises-bike.jpg

mtbr member
    I would suggest checking out Intense, with their new direct-to-consumer pricing, and Canyon, perhaps their new '18 Spectral.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I'll say that the Transition Patrol climbed far better than I expected.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

Gimme free stuff
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF
    Smash

mtbr member
    Have you ridden a scout by chance?

I fix choppers
    The new Evil Insurgent will be out shortly and slots in right around $5K +/- with a GX Eagle kit. It's shred-ability will blow your mind. Nothing rides like it.

"Everything popular is wrong." -Oscar Wilde

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Since you plan on racing does this mean you want a plastic bike for lower weight? Will you be racing mostly local, East Coast? If so keep the wheel base in check, the twisty rock trails don't favor a really long low bike.

Carbon patrol and Knolly warden If you want plastic. If aluminum look at the Canfield Balance as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by valleec View Post
    Have you ridden a scout by chance?
    Yes. It's a nice bike, climbs and corners great. It feels snappier than the Patrol as you would expect.

However, the pedal strikes and hard suspension were a bit too much for me. I ended up going with a Guerilla Gravity Shred Dogg and don't regret it in the least. It's as playful as the Scout but smoother suspension and less pedal strikes. Oh, and it can go up to 145 mm travel which is nice when things get really burly.

mtbr member
    Will be racing locally on the East Coast, and want carbon for the weight. Agree with shooting for a shorter wheelbase. I preferably want something with 150mm of travel for the amount of climbing I do

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    How do you mean hard suspension? Like not set up properly? that seems ambiguous

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Will be racing locally on the East Coast, and want carbon for the weight. Agree with shooting for a shorter wheelbase. I preferably want something with 150mm of travel for the amount of climbing I do
    The Knolly Warden or Turner RFX keep the wheelbase shorter both botique and what I would look at. The Turner will pedal better. Hard to beat a Knolly on technical climbs and grip.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by rad3144 View Post
    How do you mean hard suspension? Like not set up properly? that seems ambiguous
    Sorry about that. I meant a more firm suspension than what I wanted.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    Sorry about that. I meant a more firm suspension than what I wanted.
    Iím assuming it wasnít tuned to you, I rode a 17 scout and never had that thought...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

aka bOb
    Good deals to be had on the 2017 SC V2.0 Bronson CC right now, no first hand experience but rave reviews and plastic too boot.

%$#$*!
    Turner RFX or Pivot Mach 5.5

mbtr member
    I've had a burly hardtail and a FS bike for a long time...

I build up my hardtails to be up-to-the-task on any XC ride. That means a top end fork, 8" front rotor, no weight weenie tires. I end up with a bike that's not quite as fast down hill as a sorted trail bike, but super fun regardless.

If i do anything less than 'full enduro' with long front-center, 1000g+ tires, descent suspension... then the hardtail steps on its toes in a lot of situations. My current FS is a transition patrol with a pedal friendly DH build. I'm done doing heavy builds on smaller bikes and such- get the components right and the chassis is undergunned, get the chassis right and the components are flimsy.

I'm not really sold on carbon for automatic weight savings. It hits a different balance of cost/weight/durability, but even there it can be murky until you know which frame you're looking at.

Either way i'm sure you'll be happy, i haaaaaaaated the old zesty.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    take your pic, special sj evo or enduro, remedy slash, trance reign, trans banshee or rune, yt, intense spider or 275, turner spot or rfx, yeti sb5.5 or sb6, evil wreckoning, canyon, gt sensor sanction or force, commencal meta, cannondale scalpel or jekyll, nukeproof , bronson 5010 nomad, db mission or sortie, ibis mojo or pivot if you go dw they all have had championship riders on them. plus all the new brands i dont know about. as long a you drink the coolaid your gonna love it. jk theyre all competing. i hope you find your dream bike. i did summit a on 68 head angle 140mm 26 bike cuz its what i had, get the bike that suits you daily trails so you use it and you can pretty much ride it anywhere cuz its yours. sure theres a ideal bike for every condition but i say get what you know will kill your local trails, and looks cool because all of them can race similarly . get your stoke on. i use to ride harder when the other guys bike is nicer, just sucks when he schools you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by akiracornell View Post
    take your pic, special sj evo or enduro, remedy slash, trance reign, trans banshee or rune, yt, intense spider or 275, turner spot or rfx, yeti sb5.5 or sb6, evil wreckoning, canyon, gt sensor sanction or force, commencal meta, cannondale scalpel or jekyll, nukeproof , bronson 5010 nomad, db mission or sortie, ibis mojo or pivot if you go dw they all have had championship riders on them. plus all the new brands i dont know about. as long a you drink the coolaid your gonna love it. jk theyre all competing. i hope you find your dream bike. i did summit a on 68 head angle 140mm 26 bike cuz its what i had, get the bike that suits you daily trails so you use it and you can pretty much ride it anywhere cuz its yours. sure theres a ideal bike for every condition but i say get what you know will kill your local trails, and looks cool because all of them can race similarly . get your stoke on. i use to ride harder when the other guys bike is nicer, just sucks when he schools you.
    How well do the SB5.5 and SB6 climb. I dont want something that feels too big to handle on choppy steep climbs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    How well do the SB5.5 and SB6 climb. I dont want something that feels too big to handle on choppy steep climbs.
    Never ridden one. I rode with a pretty rad dude yesterday that was in love with his sb-6. There was another kid with an SB 5 that race is his Enduro. All these major high-end manufacturers put out a good product. Bible of bikes reviews on YouTube seem to be a general consensus so it's a good place to watch and listen. Over the course of a couple months you're going to get whatever dialed in as far as air pressure and exact amount of clicks of rebound and compression and air pressure and Tire Choice that works for your style on any of these bikes good luck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I guess the question would be if you're looking for pedaling platform maybe a five or five and a half inch bike is the way to go versus a full six. It just depends on how rad of a bike you need. If you're under Gund on your trails with a 5 inch bike then obviously you need a 6

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    When you say choppy steep climbs are you out of the saddle kind of guy that wants a firmer pedaling platform that's going to undulate the bike with your body or do you sit in the saddle stable and would rather have a Supple suspension do all the work there two different styles of bike or suspension setup so to speak
    Most of the mini link bike VPP dw or dw knock off maestro do really well with out of the saddle pounding. But it also depends on the shock and the shock tune to so it's kind of like there's not one variable that defines it all. For me a geometry that works for you is probably one of the most important things because you can always upgrade the shock as long as you get the right tune or Fork I don't have a lot of money so I always pick a platform that I can work with that suits me