mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Enduro racing bike for small female rider

I am looking to upgrade to a bike that would be an ideal fit for enduro racing. I have a specialized epic women's comp size small for xc riding and knolly delerium t size xsmall for downhilling. I would like to upgrade my xc bike to something that is a better fit for enduro racing but will also allow me to continue riding our xc trails. My delerium is just to heavy for me to pedal on xc trails. I prefer a lighter bike as I am 5.3 and 110lbs and have a difficult time moving the heavier bikes around. Any input on what bike might be a good fit would be appreciated! I have looked into the Knolly Endorphin size small-any comments on that one?

Thank you very much

mtbr member

Re: Enduro racing bike for small female rider

Santa Cruz solo or Juliana

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    A number of female enduro racers are on the Blur TRc. I have no idea how the sizing is for you though but I know what its like being at the opposite end of the spectrum.
    6'5" 230lbs
    My Build: Vitalmtb - Bike Check

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    so many nice bikes out there, my suggestion is ibis mojo SL or Pivot 5.7c. Both DW link system, nice looking and light.

mtbr member
    If you want to try my wife's medium 5 Spot (may be a bit long for you but it would give you a good idea), I'll be happy to bring it with me to SMBA or Spier. Something of that sort would be a great platform for riding and racing around here.

-Luca

%$#$*!
    At 5'3" you should be fine on a small new Endorphin with a 35mm or 50mm stem. The new Endo is amazing and super versatile in my opinion. They can be built up anywhere from 24-29lbs depending on what you need. But I imagine at your weight, you could set it up at around 26-27lbs and it would make a killer enduro bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thank you very much, I have had a friend recommend the Blur as well, there is a super nice way out of my price range Blur for sale, I am so tempted to clear out my savings account for it :-)

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Luca,
    Thank you for offering. I would definitely take you up on trying it out, maybe on a day that you coming to ride SMBA! I will have Corey get in touch with you. Tell your wife thank you also for letting me test out a bike that is much different than my little xc bike!

Sandra

mtbr member

Enduro racing bike for small female rider

Quote Originally Posted by knollychick View Post
    Luca,
    Thank you for offering. I would definitely take you up on trying it out, maybe on a day that you coming to ride SMBA! I will have Corey get in touch with you. Tell your wife thank you also for letting me test out a bike that is much different than my little xc bike!

Sandra
    Sure thing! It's good to try a few different suspension platforms and see what works for you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    What about the Blur LTc...compared to the TRc, what are the main differences?

LTc has a higher bottom bracket and more travel?

Huffy Rider
    I built up a Giant Reign that pedals very well and descends like crazy. Mine has a Pushed Rev on the front, but could take a Lyrik if you need a burlier front end, and a Monarch Plus in the rear. With burly tires and a dropper it weighs 27lbs on the nose. With lighter tires it was 26. I can pedal this bike all day, it is very efficient in the configuration I have it in. Good luck to you.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'4 and ride a Pivot 5.7 Carbon and love it. Size is extra small, and it fits really well with a 70mm stem and 140m bars. Can be built to 25lbs pretty easily.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LaXCarp View Post
    What about the Blur LTc...compared to the TRc, what are the main differences?

LTc has a higher bottom bracket and more travel?
    The LTc has a more traditional trail bike geometry, while the TRc is more in the low-long-slack camp. I have ridden the LT quite a bit and have never tried the TRc but I spent two seasons on a Banshee Sptifire, which had a similar design intent. The Spitfire was a great bike that could handle a lot more than it's 125mm of rear travel would lead you to assume but it was not a forgiving chassis. Less travel means less room for error.

Jen was an a Blur LT for two years and then moved to a TNT 5 Spot and never looked back. She was more comfortable on the Turner and it worked better for her. She rode it all over Plattekill, Highland, KT (including the trails from the top of Burke), Moab, and the Alps. This season she upgraded to a DW-link 5 Spot after spending a few weeks on a Mojo HD in Sedona (which she really liked).

In my opinion, a modern 140mm bike would be the perfect all-around chassis. The Mojo SL-R with an Angleset would be really nice but pretty spendy, HDs will start flooding the used market when the HD-R becomes available and could be a great option with more travel. I have not taken Jen's DW-link 5 Spot out for a spin yet, so I can't comment on that but the geometry is spot on for aggressive trail riding.

Unless things change dramatically, no enduro race around here will need more than 120-140mm of rear travel. Bike geometry will be much more critical to speed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    What about a fork to complement this style of riding and bike? Something light and 140 or 150mm of travel?

A DUC 32 would be a nice light option, but the proprietary stem limits you to 75mm in length, which seems a little long for this application.

usually cranky
    budget? a good choice imo would be a giant trance. put some offset hardware on it if the ha is too steep for you.