Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

enduro evo: what will new wheels save me?

So I just picked up a new 2013 Enduro Evo. I'm thinking of spending ~$700 on a set of nicer wheels. How much weight will it actually save me though? Does anyone have a real figure?

And if your first question is "what are you riding", it's pedaling the local rough trails 3 days a week, Downhill on the really hard stuff a few weekends in the summer at Winter Park

The current weight after adding my vault pedals is 36.5lbs

RideDirt
    So you want wheels that will handle your abuse and save weight ? Then get the ENVE DH wheels otherwise , i dont know how much weight you can save but yet be able to handle rough trails and DH sessions .

If i was you , i would build some cheap burly set of wheels for the DH sessions or buy some Outlaws and then build up a nice light weight wheelset for your local AM riding .

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Well I know you can get a price set of some i9's that are made for hard terrain. I'm assuming any high end wheels are going to save some kind of weight vs the stock ones. I'm just curious on how much. I've never weighed an aftermarket set vs the stock set

RideDirt
    Well search what stuff u have and then look up the specs and do the math. Simple

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I haven't been able to find the weight of the stock '13 Enduro Evo wheels, otherwise I would have.

If anyone is wondering, stock weight of that bike is 35.5lbs. I was never able to find that figure until my bike actually came in and I weighed it myself. The expert version weighs a little less than a pound more

RideDirt
    Call specialized or you local LBS that sells them . Or you could post in the specialized bike category here in the forums. Or just look at your hubs and rims and then look them up .

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I just found the stock wheels but it's hard to find weight. It looks like its the same Alexrims wheels from the 2012 Status

2012 Status Wheels (alex rims - spec hubs) - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    You might be fighting a losing battle trying to find stats on Speshy branded parts. If it is that important to you to know, just take your bike to a shop and ask them to weigh the wheels. Give them a few bucks or a six pack, and you will know.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    And I hate to say it, but unless your wheels are way heavier than the average wheel, you might end up going way over your budget to get any large decrease in weight. To drop 2/of a 3lb from my old setup cost me a bit over 1000. If the stock wheels are lead sleds though, you might be able to stay in budget.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I can get some i9s cheap, so i shoulda said ~$1300

I was thinking if a nice set of i9's will save maybe 2 lbs over the wheels that come on the enduro, it migth be worth it. So I was trying to find out if $1300 wheels would save that much weight, or less.

I'll just say fuggit and go to the shop to talk about it

GAME ON!
    i'd look for some used haven carbons. i picked up a set for around $1200 last year and i still only saved less than 1.5 lbs
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

mtbr member
    A pound is 454g... so to shave 2 pounds you'd need to shave 908 grams off your wheels... thats sort of unreasonable/unrealistic. Like going from 2300g silly heavy wheels to 1400g silly light wheels. They're just SO far apart that the intended use of wheels changes drastically when you try to remove 2 pound from them.

GAME ON!
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    A pound is 454g... so to shave 2 pounds you'd need to shave 908 grams off your wheels... thats sort of unreasonable/unrealistic. Like going from 2300g silly heavy wheels to 1400g silly light wheels. They're just SO far apart that the intended use of wheels changes drastically when you try to remove 2 pound from them.
    your math checks out.
    RIP Adam Yauch

mtbr member
    $$$$ wheels + tubeless + lighter rotors might get you around 1.5 lbs in savings. Again only if you have stupid heavy wheels.

Your best bet is an xc set and a DH/shuttle set.
    6'5" 230lbs
    My Build: Vitalmtb - Bike Check

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    i know this wont be a direct comparison, but for my '12 enduro comp i built a new set of wheels Chris King hubs front and rear, Dt aerolite spokes, allow nipples, and WTB i23 hoops. i ended up saving about 100g total for the set, but a lot of the weight moved from the outer part of the wheel to the hub, that outer rotating weight makes the most difference. The i23 has been a great hoop and has held up to quite a bit of abuse.

with the stock wheels on your enduro evo i bet you could easily save 250g+
    the i23 with hope pro 2 evo hubs saves a bit over the King hubs and has been a pretty popular set up amongst several friends.
    Juice

usually cranky
    for not crazy money you could get a set of add pro's and go tubeless. that would save maybe a half to one pound and still take dh use no problem.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Your bike comes stock with Butcher SX tires which weigh 950g a piece. If you try out the Butcher control which are 730g grams a piece you can save 220g a tire 440g total and thats almost a pound right there for about 100$.

mtbr member
    Butcher control tires will save you about half a pound. Going tubeless will save you about 1/4 pound. I'm guessing you have the stock enduro evo, in which case the Vengeance fork (while plush) is going to be a lot heavier than a Lyric. Sell the fork and make up the difference for the lyric, you'll probably save about 1/2 pound. Spend some decent coin on a XX cassette over the boat anchor cassette you have on there now, you'll save probably about 1/4-1/2 pound. The stock bar, stem, post, and saddle on there are heavy... Invest in lighter cockpit parts and you'll easily save over a pound.

These are the easiest (ie-cheapest) things I'd do before the wheels. A good set of burly and light wheels is going to cost you a lot of cash and not save you that much weight in return. Consider the rough equation that it costs about $1000 to cut a pound from your bike.
    The arsonist has oddly shaped feet!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Or also get an air shock for the rear. Your Fox RC weighs probably 900g with the spring. A monarch rc3 weighs about 325g. Thats roughly 575g savings, 1.26 pounds. Even a DHX air from fox weighs 448g, that would save you a pound too. Also like his dudeness said a solo air lyrik weighs about 2100g and your fork weighs 2400g, thats another 300g or 3/4 of a pound. My first upgrade would be tires though because for the money its the most weight lost.

Edit: Don't forget if you sell your current shock and fork it's not as large of an investment as it seems.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Great info guys. I haven't been in the downhill scene for long. My SX trail 2 was great, but heavy. This enduro evo will need to allow me to pedal local trails, but still hit winter park for full on DH. Thus, I'll keep that coil shock.

I'm thinking about buying a second set of wheels off a '12 enduro evo expert and putting some Ground Control tires on that lighter set. THen I can just swap wheels when I ride DH to the heavier wheels w/ beefier tires.

Ground control: 26" x 2.1; psi 35-65; approx. weight 605g
    Butcher SX (current tire): 26" x 2.3; 950g

I figure tire weight is a great place to start since I'm getting 2 different types of riding in, and it's all rotational mass

Now, I'm assuming a 2.3 tire vs a 2.1 tire is talking about tire thickness? I had the Butcher SX 2.3 on my SX last year, and it was awesome for everything including the DH race course. So if 2.1 means it'll be slightly thinner, it should be fine for the pedal trails near my house with drops that aren't more than 1 or 2 feet, and very few rock sections. Right?

I'd be back on those butcher sx 2.3 tires when I swap wheels for full on DH riding

GAME ON!
    i wouldn't use a 2.1 for anything but strict xc... which i wouldn't be using an enduro evo for
    RIP Adam Yauch

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Air shocks have come a long way. I have a nomadc that iv'e been riding at northstar for 2 seasons now going on 3 with a DHX air and it handles it fine (and an air fork). Unless you really prefer the feel of coil I would try to test ride a friends rig with an air shock on it if you can.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine View Post
    i wouldn't use a 2.1 for anything but strict xc... which i wouldn't be using an enduro evo for
    So by "strict xc", you really mean no bumpy rocky stuff even for a minute? So maybe I'd go with the butcher control 2.3, which is 650g (still a great savings over the sx tire)

Quote Originally Posted by Dispatch View Post
    Air shocks have come a long way. I have a nomadc that iv'e been riding at northstar for 2 seasons now going on 3 with a DHX air and it handles it fine (and an air fork). Unless you really prefer the feel of coil I would try to test ride a friends rig with an air shock on it if you can.
    I was under the impression that air shocks aren't good for DH. We'll be hitting 10ft drops and big jumps repeatedly throughout the day. I need to make sure it can handle anything, including landing flat when I **** up, which is constantly

mtbr member
    If you are hitting 10 foot drops to flat, you have bigger problems to worry about. The Enduro was not designed to take that abuse repeatedly. It isn't a full on gravity bike.

But new air shocks like the vivid air and double barrel air can take that kind of hit all day, provided you have it set up properly. The DBair is an amazing shock for a do everything bike. Expensive, but amazing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    interesting info, thanks

It's rare that I ever land flat off big drops, more common is landing flat on a knuckle, or use too much speed the first time off a jump and overshoot. both sometimes = disaster for my body, but I would like to make sure it's not also a disaster for my shock

I rode that SX just fine, it took me on everything that my buddies rode with their demo. It doesn't float over rocks as easy, but it gets the job done. I'm not Sam Hill-ing everything either, so a full on holy sh* demo isn't necessary. I'm just getting down at an intermediate pace. I usually don't do the DH race course, I tend to prefer the long jump lines with occasional rocky nastiness

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast