mtbr member

enduro bike - Norco Range, Chilcotin, Carver ICB, Nicolai Ion16, Alutech Fanes, Rune2

Can you compare Range LE to different bikes/suspensions ?

i'm thinking about Range (2012) (used frame in good price/condition)
    also i'm thinking about
    -Knolly Chilcotin
    -Carver ICB
    -Nicolai Ion16
    -Alutech Fanes 3.0 Enduro
    -Banshee Rune v2

Now i'm riding on Pivot Mach 5.7 carbon - great bike, but i have L size and i feel that's a little too large (i'm 181cm - 5'11'' and half)
    It's size is good for trail riding, but i liked bikeparks, small jumps and enduro local contests in last season.

so now, i'm looking something a little smaller (Range in M size should be fine?)
    and with a little more travel (~160mm)
    can you compare Range to these bikes/suspensions ?
    or maybe some comments on geometry?

norco range 2012
    enduro bike - Norco Range, Chilcotin, Carver ICB, Nicolai Ion16, Alutech Fanes, Rune2-p4pb6871394.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Why not a pivot Firebird?

mtbr member
    I don't know, maybe i want to test another suspension?
    i only rode Firebird L - it was big and high, like driving a bus so definitely M size, but maybe next year? (carbon firebird? )

GAME ON!
    i'd be inclined to put you on a large frame. i'd also pick the nicolai because goddamn, why the hell not? sick bike.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by razorjack View Post
    I don't know, maybe i want to test another suspension?
    i only rode Firebird L - it was big and high, like driving a bus so definitely M size, but maybe next year? (carbon firebird? )
    Well if you can't wait you should go for a Santa Cruz Nomad or their new 650b bike, the Bronson, it has almost 6 inches of travel and looks like it will shape up to be a great bike.

mtbr member
    i want to try non 'virtual' suspension (ok, the exception is rune v2, because of it's geometry)

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by razorjack View Post
    i want to try non 'virtual' suspension (ok, the exception is rune v2, because of it's geometry)
    Well you can always go over kill and get a Canfield the One. If you want to stick with your list then go with the Chilcotin.

mtbr member
    maybe something more? why? what's good in Chilco ? why not others ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Smile

Well the One is a 7" plus travel bike. I'm getting it for my next bike since I already have a 140 trail bike. As for the chilcotin, I have just heard more good things about that bike then the others. They are all going to be nice bikes. In the end it's really up to you so try and test ride as may as you can.

Another suggestion is the ibis mojo had. It is a dw link bike but it is still a nice bike. The problem with these threads is that you get guys like me that will suggest bikes and before you know it there a 10 plus good bikes to choose from. I hope you friend the right bike for you

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I'm a Chili owner - great bike on a wide variety of trails from xc through park (live in ATL, is great on local "xc" trails, have also used it extensively at Snowshoe in WVA)
    Pros - Active suspension, but bob isn't an issue due to 4x4 design, solid construction / craftsmanship, very "planted" feel, awesome cornering, great geometry for DH/Park/AM while still being pedal-able.
    Cons - Price, heavy (mine's XT, weighs around 32lbs), might be a wait for product, hard to arrange a demo.
    For the Chili, would recommend a large -approximately a 19" frame - they run a bit small...

RideDirt
    I got a chili as well , it does everything you need it to and its downhill proven.... you can run a 180mm fork or a 160mm fork .. you can also adjust the geo on the bike as well , its a very versatile bike and it feels great. It climbs like a mofo and rips down .. its the best of both worlds.