mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Elevator Shaft Adjustable seatpost

While cleaning out my garage for my move back up to Big Bear, I came across a printed post that I posted in the "General discussion" section of this site, dated June 21, 2002.
    I found out about how to get MTBR archives and found the original post, unforntunately minus the pictures of a adjustable seatpost protoype, which never went into production.

Since that time, I have sold Hurricane Components, started a family and moved away from Big Bear, but always thought of doing it better (adustable seatpost) I am currently back at Hurricane, finishing up the new design, again called the "Elevator Shaft" which is not only better than the original or any current design, but will be totally servicible by the user, more relieable will be lighter and cost a lot less than any current design. I had hoped to have a proto by Sea Otter, but now pushed the date to mid-summer. You will see it here first
    Last edited by Hurricane Jeff; 05-11-2011 at 09:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    For some reason, I had the archived post on my flash drive, when I attached it a picture of a banana showed up, but no post...dont know where it went and now I cannot seem to copy and paste the post for some reason...I'll figure it out soon.

≈ > ♥
    Looking forward to see what you've come up with...

Willing to part with any details regarding travel/sizes/remote availability?

Picture Unrelated
    Subscribing, I like my forkup so I'll bite on seeing an adjustable post. Not that they're that closely related, but still.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thanks for the kind words regarding the Fork Up and your interest in the Elevator Shaft post.
    I hope that Im not hyping the Elevator Shaft too much, but after pretty much after we created the segment and seeing what is out there. Im certain we wil have a winner with the Elevator Shaft and certainly worth the wait.

The Elevator Shaft will be in 27.2, 30.9 and 31.6 sizes in 3", 4" and 5" models, which can be either have the travel increased or decreased if you where to what more of less, as long as it stays btw 3"-5", although they could possibly be modified to have more than 5" and less than 3".
    All models will use and handlebar mounted remote.

I am working feverishly to get the Elevator Shaft out, but will not release it till it is up to my standards and will achieve what I set out for it to do.

BTW, I still cannot copy and paste the original post from 2002....I was excited that I found the original printed post and remembered that I wrote it

I do what I want
    anxiously waiting details!! Although I'd love to see another 6" option, to compete with the KS Supernatural 150mm dropper post. Also hoping for fixed cable like gravity dropper, instead of the moving cable type like the RS Reverb. Good luck, totally excited!
    Last edited by Guy.Ford; 05-13-2011 at 11:21 AM.
    Guy.Ford

I'm not really an @sshole, I just act like one online.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Yes a fixed actuator on the bottom instead of the top like the reverb would be a much better design

Oh no you di'int
    May 2009
    Fixed cable 8" travel post as light as a traditional seatpost. TYIA

monster member

Set back or no?

I've been surprised that mfrs of dropper posts haven't figured out a way to offer their posts with or without setback. So, I'll be curious what you choose. (I need setback. )

Actually, I wonder if a removable saddle mount system could be developed so that people can change their post from 0 setback to having setback. For example, instead of bonding the saddle mount body to the top of the post, just have a binder and bolt up there. Then, if I ordered the post with setback and later changed frames and didn't need setback anymore, I'd be able to order the 0-setback saddle mount body from the mfr and install it.

In fact, that idea would be really cool for swapping the post between several bikes since I wouldn't have to fiddle with saddle adjustment each time. I'd just pull the saddle + saddle mount body off as one unit and put the other on. (Assuming I had a second saddle for the other bike.)
    Have fun!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I glad you brought up a point that is just one feature that Im taking into consideration while I was designing the new Elevator Shaft post. Without going into too much detail, your concerns will be addressed.

Jeff

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The costing a lot less thing has me interested.
    The cost is what has been keeping me from getting one.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    One thing that would set you apart from the rest is a good seat clamp design.

≈ > ♥
    any news?

mtbr member
    Sounds interesting. Sounds like the KISS pricipal is in play which is good for bike parts! I have been surprised at the subpar reliability and high prices of (most) current adjustable seatposts and thought that there would surely be a better way to make one. Hopefully you come up with a winner!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    We are all waiting for the Hurricane Shaft SP......

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hmmmm, interested to see the finished product.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Update on Elevator Shaft seatpost. I know its been a long time since posting, we are still working on it, the new Hurricane Components doesn't work as fast as the old one( when I owned it.)
    Its going to have a fixed cable, travel will be between 80mm-150mm depending on model, different setbacks, 0,25mm and ?... you'll see.
    Don't have a cost or due date yet(see above) but hope to show something at the 2014 Sea Otter. We will also have a really cool truck bed rack like nothing you've ever seen, as well as some new mounts and some locks for the ForkUp product.
    I've been working extremely hard on all this new product, things just don't get done as fast as I would like. Hurricane is owned by a big manufacturer that produces products for the aerospace, automotive, medical/ dental, etc, as well as the bike industry.

Keep posted, the products will be posted on this forum as soon as they come out.

A brief history about the Elevator Shaft adjustable seatpost. History doesn't give credit to myself for making the first "modern day" adjustable height seat post, I know about the Hite Rite, that was my inspiration or the Power Post, which really didn't work the way of the modern dropper seat post does.
    Back in 2000, I contacted Joe Breeze(awesome guy) about purchasing some Hite Rite's which were not being sold at the time. Joe was all for it, I told him what I was doing, I had to make a new seat clamp QR that would work like a standard QR, but stay in place when opened, he was going to sell me as many as I needed for a agreed price. Joe talked to his partner who held the patent with him, he thought that I needed to buy the whole lot of Hite Rites which, if I remembered, was about 25,000 units. Being that this was a new (or semi re-introduction) there was no way I could agree to that offer. I went back to the drawing board, in 2001, I converted a RockShox suspension seatpost into the first modern dropper seatpost.
    After a racer friend and I used this post, I knew we were on to something.
    In 2002, I produced a fully in house model of the "Elevator Shaft" seat post, which I brought, and had a racer use, to the Sea Otter Classic of that year, although I did not display the post at my expo booth, some people did see it, including Zapata Espinoza and a guy from Montana, as well as a few others. A couple of months after the Sea Otter, the guy from Montana called a few times inquiring about the post, told him I was still testing and working on it. Later on that year, I sold Hurricane, started a family, moved on from the bike industry and lived a normal life, although, I could not get far from the industry.
    In 2004, I believe, a company(I'll leave nameless ) came out with a post almost identical to the the Elevator Shaft. I was shocked, but having sold my company, just walked away from it and tried to forget, but now when I hear, "best product" or "cant imagine not riding without one" (quotes I've read from magazines) and the credit goes to someone else, I felt it was time that I cleared the air. I can't blame the company who took the credit or the countless other companies that now produce their own, just would like to let everyone know where the modern day adjustabe height, dropper seat post originated from...................

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Very cool! Looking forward to seeing what you've come up with. Good luck with the big manufacturer!

unrooted
    Updates???
    195 lbs-6'4" Banshee Prime XL
    Ride Mammoth, Tahoe & Vegas

PLEASE GIVE ME NEGATIVE REP!