mtbr member

easton havoc wheels

I've found a set of 2010 easton havoc wheels for sale, are these wheels any goed? They're for my 2011 rockhopper

mtbr member
    I thought Havocs had a 150mm rear hub. You might want to confirm what the Rockhopper specs are.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I own a set of Havoc wheels that are 135mm QR and 20mm for the front; don't know what year. I use them as my "sunday" wheels as I fear to break spokes when running them in a bike park and fear destroying the bearings when it is muddy. I have them since last Automn and have not ridden them much as there was a lot of mud in the Alps when I was there at the end of June. I read that parts availability is somewhat difficult, but with my current use I don't expect trouble.

mtbr member

ok thanks,also foundome ztr alpine wheels with xtr 970 hubs, maybe these are better

Ok thanks, I've also found a set
    of ztr alpine rims with xtr970 hubs, any ideas which is better?
    Quote Originally Posted by XXLspot View Post
    I own a set of Havoc wheels that are 135mm QR and 20mm for the front; don't know what year. I use them as my "sunday" wheels as I fear to break spokes when running them in a bike park and fear destroying the bearings when it is muddy. I have them since last Automn and have not ridden them much as there was a lot of mud in the Alps when I was there at the end of June. I read that parts availability is somewhat difficult, but with my current use I don't expect trouble.

mtbr member
    I thought the hub length was always the same

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flipdewalvis View Post
    I thought the hub length was always the same
    I meant axle length...

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    That looks more like an XC set of wheels. I also expect them to be much lighter and if you are doing real AM stuff, I don't expect they will hold up. They are nice wheels for their purpose though. But you should foremost check on the wheelstandard your fork and frame require. I am pretty sure the wheelsets you consider are different in this respect.

mtbr member
    It is so difficult to decide, I believe that the ztr's are quite a bit older than the easton havocs.I just want a good upgrade over my standard dt swiss 445 with specialized hubs
    Quote Originally Posted by XXLspot View Post
    That looks more like an XC set of wheels. I also expect them to be much lighter and if you are doing real AM stuff, I don't expect they will hold up. They are nice wheels for their purpose though. But you should foremost check on the wheelstandard your fork and frame require. I am pretty sure the wheelsets you consider are different in this respect.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I have the Havoc AM wheelset for a few years now. They're super durable. Used them in heavy mud many many times and no problems with hub whatsoever.

High Gravity Haze
    With the Havoc wheels in question being 2010 year models, check to see which rear hub they have and do some research on them. I've got 2010 Havens with the rear hub that had to be warranty repaired 3 times and finally completely replaced last month.

mtbr member
    Ok, good advice. I'll look into it

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have a set of Havoc AM on my enduro and a set of Havoc DH on my glory. Have to be the strongest wheels I've had and quite light. You can't go wrong them

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Re: easton havoc wheels

I have a set of havoc am 2010. Solid wheels. Ran into a tree head on (brake failure) wheel.was true and no broken spokes at all. I've had them since early 2011 and have not had to true them or replace a spoke and they are still straight and no bad wobble. Decent weight too. Love these wheels. I regressed the hub with dye paintball grease (green/DM series) and solid no noise, spin smooth. The stock grease or grease job sucked so make sure you check that out.

Sent from my HTC EVO LTE

mtbr member
    I had the Havoc AM wheels and didn't like them. I felt they dented easy and went out of true faster than other wheels. Replaced with Flows and so much happier. Plus the Havocs have proprietary parts that you can only get from Easton.

mtbr member
    ive been riding mine hard for a few years without an issue. they did make a rear bearing kit (free from Easton) which fixed the long standing hub problems.

mtbr member
    I had great luck with them for 4 years. The only issue I had was breaking nipples which is mostly a pain in the butt if you're tubeless. Seems like brass nipples would have been a better choice. I don't think I would ever do alloy nips again.