mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Easton haven or pro answer 720 Bars

Time to get some wider bars for my trek remedy 9. Was looking at either the easton haven am which is 711 wide or the answer 720 pro taper which is 720 wide. They are both aluminum and weight pretty much the same. Has anyone had good or bad experiences with either of these bars.

mtbr member
    Get the 720s, if not wider. I run the 720 Protapers on my Fuel EX7 and could use a bit more I think.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Bought a short 45mm Stem and a 720 Protaper! I will tell you how it feels compared to a 600

mtbr member
    I run the aluminum Haven on one bike and the carbon ProTaper AM bars on another. They are both very nice feeling bars. I don't notice the width so much with the Havens, but I do with the ProTapers. Not in a bad way though, they are both comfortable straight away, the ProTapers just feel wider. I'd happily run either bar again on the next bike, but knowing that should be coming soon I'm going for the ProTapers.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I just bought a havoc stem. 0 degree by 50mm and havoc dh bars for my all mountain bike. The 750mm wide feels great. Wheel world had a great deal on Easton stuff.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Carbon heaven for sure. 750mm is awesome.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc
    2014 Surly Pugsley

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    give the wider bars a few days to get used to. I've gone from 711 to 740 and now to 760 on my yeti 575. I almost kept it at 780 but it was odd on the climbs. I do run 780 on my dh bike.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    After my neighbor told me about an accident he was in a few years ago where his carbon bars simply collapsed into a "V" while he was riding, I'll never consider buying carbon handlebars. The tiny weight savings isn't worth the risk to me.

Race Face Atlas is another good option... I picked some up from PricePoint.com for around $35 shipped.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    After my neighbor told me about an accident he was in a few years ago where his carbon bars simply collapsed into a "V" while he was riding, I'll never consider buying carbon handlebars.
    What carbon bars exactly was he using though?

Not all carbon is created equal (like everything really).

My experience with Easton carbon bars has been that they not only outlast any alloy bar I've ever had, but when I inevitably do hit something more stubborn than they are Easton are very forthcoming with new ones.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    +1 for 720 Answer ProTaper, I'm using since 2010

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Jus installed the 720 AM protapers ! OMG the bars definitively give you more confidence. I will have to tell you how it rides after this weekend.

mtbr member
    After my neighbor told me about an accident he was in a few years ago where his carbon bars simply collapsed into a "V" while he was riding, I'll never consider buying carbon handlebars. The tiny weight savings isn't worth the risk to me.

Race Face Atlas is another good option... I picked some up from PricePoint.com for around $35 shipped.
    This fear that people have with carbon is stupid. Like an aluminum bar has never folded up.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

Undercaffienated
    Not all carbon is created equal. I have been running a Truvativ Noir Team carbon bar (680mm, 20 degrees of rise) for more than two years now on mid-travel bikes that have seen everything from Alpine lift-access trails, to rough and rocky desert trails and even survived a head-on collision with a tree in a UK forest trail the force of which sheared my fork stanchions in half. On the otehr hand, I know a dude who almost lost an eye to a Chinese no-name carbon flat bar which suddenly failed while he was racing short-track XC on a very tame trail.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Coopie View Post
    I just bought a havoc stem. 0 degree by 50mm and havoc dh bars for my all mountain bike. The 750mm wide feels great. Wheel world had a great deal on Easton stuff.
    +1 I run same bar with 50mm Thomson stem and liked better than my 711 easton

EDR
    Go with the 720 ( I run the PT 720 cut down a bit) and you can always cut it if needed. Can't make them longer though.

Bar width has a lot more to do with your body type than a certain amount of length for "AM" riding. No best, just what fits. I'm short so I need a shorter bar than a guy with broader shoulders, even going d/h. Give it a fair shake if after 5 or 10 rides you find you are always trying to move your hands inward a bit then cut them. It's not rocket science, experiment with by a longer bar from the get-go and change from there if needed. At 5'7-5'8'' myself and running a bar around 700-710mm (can't remember what I cut it to) is probably equivalent to a 6' guy running 720 or 740mm bars.

They have cut marks on them for a reason
    Last edited by eatdrinkride; 11-29-2012 at 09:14 PM.

usually cranky
    i run pt 720s. decent enough bar, kinda heavy for what they though. kore has a new bar coming out that is 740mm and pretty light.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by hmorsi View Post
    Not all carbon is created equal. I have been running a Truvativ Noir Team carbon bar (680mm, 20 degrees of rise) for more than two years now on mid-travel bikes that have seen everything from Alpine lift-access trails, to rough and rocky desert trails and even survived a head-on collision with a tree in a UK forest trail the force of which sheared my fork stanchions in half. On the otehr hand, I know a dude who almost lost an eye to a Chinese no-name carbon flat bar which suddenly failed while he was racing short-track XC on a very tame trail.
    I understand that.... I was just commenting that it's my personal preference and the weight difference is not worth the potential risk to me. There's certainly no performance increase with carbon over aluminum.

It was not a cheap no-name bar, either- it was one made by a major manufacturer.

undercover brother
    Quote Originally Posted by beebee5 View Post
    Jus installed the 720 AM protapers ! OMG the bars definitively give you more confidence. I will have to tell you how it rides after this weekend.
    How did the bar give you confidence if you haven't ridden yet? Or do wider bars visually give you confidence?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks for all the info, I have ordered the 720's.

Beer Me!
    Nice, I also have Protaper's, LOVE THEM.
    My Bike: FORM Cycles Titanium Prevail 29er

"Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

usually cranky
    I understand that.... I was just commenting that it's my personal preference and the weight difference is not worth the potential risk to me. There's certainly no performance increase with carbon over aluminum.

It was not a cheap no-name bar, either- it was one made by a major manufacturer.
    yes there is, do some reading.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tangaroo View Post
    How did the bar give you confidence if you haven't ridden yet? Or do wider bars visually give you confidence?
    A stroll around the block i notice the difference already by how I was positioned . But I did go to the trails today and I have to say I got more control blasting down the hill while I was hesitant with my old setup

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Love'm both but I swear my Easton Havoc carbon feel stronger than those two and soak up more than my Answer carbon pro taper. The '13 easton products look sick btw. The Answer has the better bling.
    Peace from Hell...

'13 Chromag Stylus
    '11 Specialized 29r EVO ht
    '11 DB Mission 2 w/Fox 36

bab74 on GORC