Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Dirt Rag Extraordinaire

Easton Haven carbon bar *help*

Hi, I've recently bought some Haven carbon bars and aluminium stem. I've put them on my bike, but I don't have a torque wrench, so I've tightened the face plate by hand. I haven't applied much pressure, just enough to make sure the bars are secure. Subsequently, I've noticed something that looks like it could be a crack underneath the resin, but I'm really not sure.

Can someone who knows about these things have a look and give me some feedback? Thanks

"You go up the hill, you go down the hill."

Dropshot Champ!
    just looks like unidirectional carbon layup to me

Dirt Rag Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    just looks like unidirectional carbon layup to me
    OK, so the carbon is laid vertically and horizontally? I'm a bit concerned because it's near the stem, and there seems to be a lot of problems in regard to carbon bars and over tightening face plate bolts. These are my first carbon bars.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    you are good as was said before it is the carbon lay up. mine look the same as do my havoc carbons,

I have had easton carbon bars on my last 4 bikes and none have failed or had any problems. Make sure you get some carbon paste which will allow you to use less torque to stop the bar from slipping. FSA makes some good stuff.

I also just tighten the bar enough to stop it from spinning when pushing down on the suspension as hard as I can. With the paste that seems to be good for the trails also.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    A lot of Easton bars have that somewhere. Of the 3 I have had, all had it. None have broken even after multilple falls.

You don't need a torque wrench, just make sure to tighten 1/4 turn at a time in the X pattern. I think Easton has a vid of it on their website.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

Dirt Rag Extraordinaire
    Do you guys all use carbon paste? Do you really need it? I find I can get them quite firm withou having to tighten too much, however they will spin if I put downward force on them, like push down hard on the forks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by m0ngy View Post
    however they will spin if I put downward force on them, like push down hard on the forks.
    That is much too loose! Just imagine if that happened when you landed from a jump... Follow the direction from Easton on how to tighten the bar. If you want them torqued take your bike to the LBS and have them torque it for you. If you bought the bar from them I am sure they will do it for free.

mtbr member
    That is normal I have them like the others on all my carbon bars with no failures and I am big guy that has been running Easton carbon bars since 2005. They are not anywhere near as delicate as you are treating them.

I run no paste on anyone of mine and just torque them to spec or by feel these days with no issues.

Dirt Rag Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by myarmisonfire View Post
    That is much too loose! Just imagine if that happened when you landed from a jump... Follow the direction from Easton on how to tighten the bar. If you want them torqued take your bike to the LBS and have them torque it for you. If you bought the bar from them I am sure they will do it for free.
    LOL, I have't ridden with them like that, I'm still building the bike, an old VP-Free. Thanks for your advice.

mtbr member
    So, just got my Havens in today. I do have the exact same marking in the middle of the bar as the OP. Almost identical. However, just for sh&ts I shinned a flashlight through to the bar see what it looked like inside. The line I have circled in these photos extend the whole length of the bar.
    Is that part of the unidirectional carbon fiber manufacturing process or is this already compromised in some way? Have you guys observed this as well?Am I being paranoid? Maybe, but CF isn't cheap!
    You guys are experts, check out these pics and lemme know what you think!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Easton Haven carbon bar *help*-easton1.jpg  

Easton Haven carbon bar *help*-easton2.jpg  

GAME ON!
    looks about right
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Looks normal. All my ud carbon easton bars have similar patterns in them.

Dirt Rag Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by khskenny View Post
    Looks normal. All my ud carbon easton bars have similar patterns in them.
    I've had my bars on my bike for a couple of months now, and they're fine. I was just trippin, never had carbon bars before.

mtbr member
    Even with that line going through the inside? That line goes across the whole bar on the outside and inside.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    My havocs have the same thing. As others mentioned, it's just uni-directional layup... nothing super exact

The suggestion of tightening faceplate in an X pattern is bad advice - I've cracked one like this - you're essentially forcing the faceplate to twist unnaturally. It's unlike a car wheel where it's cylindrically symmetrical. The newer easton stems are very specific about tightening the top bolts first and then the bottom. I also think you should use a torque wrench - they're very inexpensive these days and I don't know how you'd feel confident in 'guessing' the torque.

mtbr member
    Well, good to know that is normal. I just figured on the inside of the bar it should be seamless for some reason.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by m0ngy View Post
    Do you guys all use carbon paste? Do you really need it?
    Probably yes and definitely yes. It makes a big difference in the amount of clamping force needed on carbon bars, also, one tube is enough to see you through for years and years, so it's worth getting anyway.

mtbr member
    So what does that little line have to do with UD carbon layup? Shouldn't it be seamless on the inside?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    The line is probably a crease from the bladder used during manufacturing.

mtbr member
    Still don't know why it would be visible on the outside. I had similar markings on my old Specialized Camber carbon.

mtbr member
    ...but I am gonna stop worrying about it. Seems like all of yours have the same thing going on with it. Thanks for the input!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    The crease on the inside is resin that gets caught in the bladder crease. The line on the outside is just the end of the carbon sheet. It has to stop somewhere . You don't see a raised crease on the outside because it is pressed against a smooth mold and or smoothed afterwards.

mtbr member
    I just got new havens too and they also have these marks. Spoils the look of them just a little but seems it is normal.

LCW
    mtbr member
    Perfectly normal. That area of the bar (referring to the OP's pic) gets most likely hidden by the stem cap. Stop worrying - it's the best bar out there!
    2011 Yeti 575 - 2015 Fox Float 36 RC2 160 / Fox Float X - 30.6 lbs

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Easton Haven carbon bar *help*

To put it bluntly, you can afford a $140 bar but can't spring $40 for a torque wrench to make sure not only your bars are properly torqued, but other components also are?
    Riding slowly since 1977.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast