Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    b a n n e d

Easton Carbon: Havoc vs. Haven

Is there any difference other than length (which obviously has some effect on weight) and graphics?

I don't exactly know which length I want my bars, and if I go with the Havoc I can start out long and trim down, but the Haven's are limited to 711.

Price is the same . . . .

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Pretty much the same. Havocs are a part of Easton's "DH" line (thus are longer), where the Haven falls into their "AM" line.

mtbr member
    Havocs are reassuringly meaty.
    Havens are a bit lighter.

I happen to have a set of both (lucky me ), in terms of shape they're the same save Havocs being a little wider. Quality is typical Easton Carbon, as in excellent. Unless you're really tall (6ft 2+) I can't see the Havocs being terribly comfortable, the Haven makes a very nice general purpose bar.

junkie
    Anyone have any direct experience between these and the Enve bars?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post

I happen to have a set of both (lucky me ), in terms of shape they're the same save Havocs being a little wider. Quality is typical Easton Carbon, as in excellent. Unless you're really tall (6ft 2+) I can't see the Havocs being terribly comfortable, the Haven makes a very nice general purpose bar.
    bar width isn't determined by height. i'm just under 6' and run the havoc at full width and it feels great. i know riders 2" shorter than me on 30" bars without comfort issues. it's all personal preference.

junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by 'size View Post
    bar width isn't determined by height. i'm just under 6' and run the havoc at full width and it feels great. i know riders 2" shorter than me on 30" bars without comfort issues. it's all personal preference.
    Isn't it a comfort thing depending on arm length/shoulder width combined with riding type?

Does it take some time to get used to wider bars. I just went from 680mm to 760mm and I'm not sure I like it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slorente View Post
    Isn't it a comfort thing depending on arm length/shoulder width combined with riding type?

Does it take some time to get used to wider bars. I just went from 680mm to 760mm and I'm not sure I like it.
    it can be, sure. stem length combined with bar width, bar sweep and rise all play into as well, but to say someone over or under a certain height will or won't be comfortable on any certain width of bar is just incorrect.

like any change to your riding position it can take time to adjust and decide if that change is beneficial or not. you added over 3" to your bar setup which is a lot of change. i'm assuming you didn't go with a shorter stem as well? remember, as you add width to your bar you're putting more weight over the front end and slowing your steering down. this is why many people end up running a shorter stem as their bars get wider and wider.

b a n n e d

See, I'm thinking that the Haven's might be a good fit for me, but when I lined them up to my current bars, I'm not sure if I want to be limited to 711mm. I currently have 680mm bars and only adding 15mm per side may not be enough to achieve the fit I'm looking for. The logic is that the Havoc's offer some degree of freedom in choosing the "perfect" size.

I know enough that I want carbon bars, and I like the sweep/rise of the Easton bars so its basically between these two . . .

mtbr member
    Height is a major factor. Get the bars too wide and all you are doing is putting your weight all the way forward. To an extent a shorter stem or even frame can compensate, but little guy on big bars can only lead to stem humping.

b a n n e d
    Height is a major factor. Get the bars too wide and all you are doing is putting your weight all the way forward. To an extent a shorter stem or even frame can compensate, but little guy on big bars can only lead to stem humping.
    I would have to agree, and one of the reasons I'm going wider is actually to pull my weight forward a bit . . . how far though I'm not yet sure. Hence, i think the trimmable havoc is the way to go . . . and if I end up at 711 mm . . . well, then oh well!

Question though . . . and I think I know the answer but . . . . does trimming the bar decrease the integrity at all if done properly?

junkie
    OO7: integrity is not lost if carbon bars are cut properly. Some bars like the Enve are intended to be cut to width if desired. I would go wider and cut to what is right for you.

Anyone know if the weight difference is from anything more than additional material from width.

junkie
    it can be, sure. stem length combined with bar width, bar sweep and rise all play into as well, but to say someone over or under a certain height will or won't be comfortable on any certain width of bar is just incorrect.

like any change to your riding position it can take time to adjust and decide if that change is beneficial or not. you added over 3" to your bar setup which is a lot of change. i'm assuming you didn't go with a shorter stem as well? remember, as you add width to your bar you're putting more weight over the front end and slowing your steering down. this is why many people end up running a shorter stem as their bars get wider and wider.
    I did go with a shorter stem as well (110mm to 80mm). That said, I finally got used to it and love the wider bars now!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I was asking the same question.
    I assume the Havoc's have a thicker wall if you look at the math.
    The Havoc weighs 39% more than the Haven (235 vs 170) but is only 5.5% wider (750 vs 711). Considering that the center of the bar is fatter, and likely has the heaviest wall, I would think that it would skew even more.
    Based on this, I would suspect that if you took a Havoc and cut it down to 711mm, it would only lose 10 to 15 grams.
    Has anyone measured a cut down Havoc?

mtbr member
    OO7,
    Tried Answer Protaper 720c yet?

To cut: high spd Dremel cut-off wheel + dust mask works well. Tape the bar, mark, and cut. High spd tends to not splinter the carbon.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    May 2009
    What's the Warranty like on Easton's bars?
    If it's anything like the "3 Year No Questions Asked" warranty on the carbon Haven wheels I think I just found my next set of handlebars.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    OO7,
    Tried Answer Protaper 720c yet?

To cut: high spd Dremel cut-off wheel + dust mask works well. Tape the bar, mark, and cut. High spd tends to not splinter the carbon.
    Nope, have not tried the Answer bars yet. Pretty happy with my Havoc's and have even left them at 750. I might trim them up just a touch, but like where they are. One thing is certain though, there is no weight savings with the Havoc for an AM rig. It is comparable to most AL bars (not AL DH bars though).

Quote Originally Posted by jojoh2033 View Post
    What's the Warranty like on Easton's bars?
    If it's anything like the "3 Year No Questions Asked" warranty on the carbon Haven wheels I think I just found my next set of handlebars.
    Actually, I think their bars have a lifetime warranty.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    Nope, have not tried the Answer bars yet. Pretty happy with my Havoc's and have even left them at 750. I might trim them up just a touch, but like where they are. One thing is certain though, there is no weight savings with the Havoc for an AM rig. It is comparable to most AL bars (not AL DH bars though).

Actually, I think their bars have a lifetime warranty.

Anyone have a link to easton's carbon bars warranty? Ive read several posts about the lifetime warranty, but only see warranty on wheels on their website. And I believe that links to caim instead of their terms and conditions. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtngt View Post
    Anyone have a link to easton's carbon bars warranty? Ive read several posts about the lifetime warranty, but only see warranty on wheels on their website. And I believe that links to caim instead of their terms and conditions. Thanks.
    Straight from the box of my Havocs, which I got for free when my old, old CNT DH bars had an argument with a tree and them some rocks. Five years for Alloy, lifetime for Carbon and they do mean lifetime.

Photobucket

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Straight from the box of my Havocs, which I got for free when my old, old CNT DH bars had an argument with a tree and them some rocks. Five years for Alloy, lifetime for Carbon and they do mean lifetime.

Photobucket
    Thanks Spade! Hopefully they haven't changed their warranty / policy recently. You'd think that they'd mention that lifetime warranty in their website. I'd think that'll be a deal-maker for most.

usually cranky
    id think the havoc, being a dh bar, would have a slightly meatier layup. at just 250g and probably stronger they would be my first choice.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I have the Haven carbon bars on my Blur LTc and frankly they feel great. They are a step up from the 680mm Monkey bars on my old bike and those for 25.4mm. So better leverage and stiffness.
    2011 Santa Cruz Blur LTc
    2005 KHS DJ200
    2005 Rocky Mountain ETSX-70 (stolen)

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    id think the havoc, being a dh bar, would have a slightly meatier layup. at just 250g and probably stronger they would be my first choice.
    I do prefer the havocs for those reason, plus I like the looks of the stem over the havens. It's going on a trail/am bike (GT Force) though so it might be a little overkill. And the current setup is a 620/90. Not sure if the 750/50 or 65 will be too much of a change. The nice thing about the 750 is maybe it can be cut narrower, if that doesn't void the warranty. Else, maybe a havoc stem and haven carbon is what I'll go with.

b a n n e d
    I went with Havoc's and am happy with them. I think the Haven't would have been too narrow.

(note this thread is well over a year old now )
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Good to know that the havoc worked out for you. Yeah, I resurrected this thread from the dead. I was searching for the Easton carbon bars warranty and this was the closest where it was discussed. Was also (still am) deciding between the havoc and haven so I figured it was better than creating another thread.

mtbr member
    My brother in law has the Haven's on his Slayer 70, and I was impressed at how strong they were after he took a spill. Front wheel caught a root and he went down, the Haven stem he had twisted from the fall, but the bars looked and worked like new still. Impressive seeing carbon win over aluminum.

I don't know what the handlebar warrenty situation is like, but Easton refused to fully warranty the stem even though it was a really minor fall. Offered a slight discount on a replacement Haven, or he could upgrade to the Havoc (which he did). Was a huge hassle getting the Havoc stem though, the Easton rep had no clue what they were talking about in terms of sizing and the like.

Maybe just a fluke experience, just passing it on though.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast