Scottish Bike Ninja

Eastern Slash Build

Thoughts I'd share my experience thus far after riding my Eastern for a month or so now. It's being run as a 1x9 and has been working great! Sorry no pics of the bike alone so the action shots will have to work.

(yes there's a front derailleur here... but it's history)

Full spec list:
    Frame: Large Eastern Slash Air 5"
    Fork: Sherman Flick
    Rear shock: Fox Float R
    Rims: Ditch Witch
    Hubs: XT
    Crankset: RaceFace XC w/ Kona Bash Guard
    Pedals: Kona Platforms
    Headset: FSA Pig
    Stem: Azonic Shorty
    Bars: Azonic Risers
    Brakes: Hayes DX-9
    Saddle: Bontrager Race Lux
    Seatpost: Easton EA30
    Derailleurs: XT Rear (no front)
    Tyres: Nokian NBX 2.3 (sweetness)
    Weight: 35lbs

On the fit: The geometry is really that of a DJ/FR bike. I am 5'11" with a 32" inseam and the large TT length is perfect. With a crazy long seatpost I don't get full leg extension. It's worth it to me but may not be to others. The angles also put your seat a ways behind the BB so you will feel like you are pushing forward into the pedals.

Full leg extension on large frame.

On the ride: This is so ridiculously subjective that it's hard to write anything useful. Climbing? it does as well as can be expected and never seems to lose traction (even when standing). The weight isn't too much of an issue but the lack of extension in the legs really makes it tough. The length on the top tube and the slack angles really keep the front end down well on climbs. Downhill? Sweeeeet.... you just have to love the single pivot. The bike is really stable with no noticeable flex. Once you are behind the seat the bike holds a line great. The rear doesn't dive as badly as the fork does so it works out well. It really seems to shine on tighter technical riding and jumps... this thing loves to be in the air.

I've slogged the Eastern up Poison Spider and rocked it down the Portal. Up Amasa Back and down Jackson. Shuttle downhills. Durango climbs. This has become my do-it-all frame (but as far as I am concerned the descent makes up for the grind)

Not bad for a $400 frame.

Hope this helps... if anyone wants to know about anything else let me know.

mtbr member
    very cool bike cool pics as well

Dirt Deviant
    I was This close - - to getting one of those frames........But I don't think I would get a good fit at almost 6'3" plus. Looks sweet though!!!!!!!
    Have you had any issues with brake jack at all? I was curious of that when looking at getting one.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004
    I was looking for a leftover, size small, 7" coil but it looks like Jenson's now out. Bummer.
    Seen some complete bikes in size small online but I have NO use for all of the other parts.
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

Just another FOC'er
    It's interesting how closely the rear triangle resembles the one on the Ellsworth Joker.

mtbr member
    i saw this frame when it was back on jenson, but i heard alot of people claiming the rear tire could hit the back of the frame? has this happened to you?
    Quote Originally Posted by _dw
    To be blunt;

6) The Earth would begin to collapse into a black hole and it would make people sad.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by .Danno.
    It's interesting how closely the rear triangle resembles the one on the Ellsworth Joker.
    It is the same rear end.
    1ST RATE Earnest Borgnine-Ethel Merman erotic nudes!óDANGó Ethel was WAY hairier

Scottish Bike Ninja
    Never. This frame can be run with a longer shock for 7" of travel. That setup bottoms out the tire against the seat. Mine doesn't even come close.

mtbr member
    rollswithpogies,

Any chance you could let me know bb height and wheelbase numbers of your Eastern Slash setup? Greatly appreciated...
    "What do I know of You who spoke me into motion? Where have I even stood but along the shore of Your ocean?"

Airborne Flight Crew
    Keen review B, and nice pics

IMO, the only thing missing is a chain guide. If these pop up again next year, I'll prolly get one.

Peace.

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    That last pic is stunning, it should be on the cover of the next BIKE magazine.