perpetual pucker factor

durable seat suggestions

Don't panic!! I'm not asking the 'what seat should I get' question. I know how to go to my LBS and test them out. Just asking about durable seats. My kinda comfy Fizik Nisene's rails bent, the plastic frame cracked, and it ripped the entire trailing edge of the seat apart in my most recent over the bars fall. It undoubtedly should have gotten banged up from the fall, but shouldn't have self-destructed this way. Any suggestions on a more durable seat? If your suggestion persuades me to buy it, and it's durable and comfy, I'll send you a cookie or something.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Well... Charge saddles seem to last quite well, although I've only second hand evidence for that.

My WTB V-rocket lasted extremely well, I had it for three years and a whole bunch of crashes, then sold it on a year-ish ago and it's new owner still has it. The logos have all worn off and there's a slight rip on side of the tail, but it's basically intact.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Yeah, WTB saddles take a good beating. They're not the lightest ones out there, but I've also passed along ripped saddles that are still going strong.

Let the good times roll.
    I've had good luck with the WTB Silverado. It's the most comfortbale saddle I've used so far, and it takes quite a solid impact to get the rails to bend. I just picked up a Syncros FL to try out. I'll see how that goes. It seems extremely comfortable at first impression, but I haven't ridden it for a full ride yet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I wish I could qoute your whole paragraph! That's good stuff.

I've had a WTB seat on my 6" for nine seasons. It's got some small rips but it's intact.

My DK saddle on my DJer is the best seat I've ever seen. I bail off that poor bike all the time and the seat shows no wear. I don't know if DK makes XC or AM seats but they should.

I have a couple of friends that swear Chromag everything is greatest gift to MTBing. I have a Chromag trailmaster on my DH but haven't crashed my Norco and/or owned the seat long enough to tell you it's durable.
    I'm going to rob banks til I retire or get caught. Either way I'm set for life

perpetual pucker factor
    Quote Originally Posted by homeless junkie
    I wish I could qoute your whole paragraph! That's good stuff.

I've had a WTB seat on my 6" for nine seasons. It's got some small rips but it's intact.

My DK saddle on my DJer is the best seat I've ever seen. I bail off that poor bike all the time and the seat shows no wear. I don't know if DK makes XC or AM seats but they should.

I have a couple of friends that swear Chromag everything is greatest gift to MTBing. I have a Chromag trailmaster on my DH but haven't crashed my Norco and/or owned the seat long enough to tell you it's durable.

how comfortable for you is the Chromag? I know it's all subjective, but most of the reviews I've read seem pretty polarized; nothing really in the middle.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

usually cranky
    following the general trend my wtb shadow has stood up very well with only one small tear in the back.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Gotta go with the WTB Rocket V as well. Have one on three of my bikes. Can't beat it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by charging_rhinos
    how comfortable for you is the Chromag? I know it's all subjective, but most of the reviews I've read seem pretty polarized; nothing really in the middle.
    I think the seat is like their handlebars. They both look too big and wide but feel right when you're using them. I have a set of uncut fubars on my DH too.

mbtr member
    I have a fizik zeak that's lasted 3 hard seasons now with no real wear (!), besides being smelly. I have the heavy version at 380g, cuz i don't give a crap, but there's a light one too. I don't find the main seating position particularly comfortable, it's a little too narrow, but i can skootch back on the saddle for fire road climbs or up on the nose for stupid climbs and be not really any more uncomfortable. It's super comfy to shoulder and really easy to get behind. So, on the bike it's on, that gets ridden on technical terrain but not a ton of mileage at a sitting, it's been perfect

Hell is eternally climbing manzanita trail on your singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by homeless junkie
    My Chromag Lynx has been... unimpressive as far as durability.

It was a year old in October (replaced the WTB) and it's practically worn though already, the logos lasted a matter of days.
    In it's defense the rails are fine and it's comfy, the DT version is probably more durable.

More importantly, Outland do the same saddle for less than half the price: http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/catego...addle-10-39732
    Not as pretty, but 30 still buys more beer than I can drink.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    [QUOTE=Fix the Spade]My Chromag Lynx has been... unimpressive as far as durability.

It was a year old in October (replaced the WTB) and it's practically worn though already, the logos lasted a matter of days.
    In it's defense the rails are fine and it's comfy, the DT version is probably more durable.

More importantly, Outland do the same saddle for less than half the price: http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/catego...addle-10-39732
    Not as pretty, but 30 still buys more beer than I can drink.[/QUOTE

I'm surprised to hear about your seat. I've seen alot of riders with Chromag stuff in the liftlines and fire roads last season. I didn't notice any major wear on anybody's saddle or bars. That's why I bought mine.

Have you spoke to Chromag about your seat? They have small factory in Function Junction in Whistler. A few years ago my wife was shopping for a table so I walked next store to nose around. I thought they would get pissed but they're really down to earth.

I know how you feel about the price. Chromag's trendy so you know what that means $$$$.