Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ~ B A D A S S ~

Are dual suspension bikes faster?

I mean not only for all mountain use but for cross country and pretty much everything except downhill and freeride?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

Blue Pig
    Personal opinion, really. The person makes the bike go faster, not the bike.
    I give positive rep all around but then I get negative rep from all the clowns.

It's all about the FSR!
    You can put the best rider on the biggest pos Wal-Mart bike, and he will still be faster than an inexperienced rider on the fastest, lightest bike.

Infidel
    Yes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Cool. People showed up to answer completely different questions than what you asked.

How about this scenario: the same rider on two different bikes - one with full suspension, one without? Is one generally faster than the other?

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by Front_Runner
    Cool. People showed up to answer completely different questions than what you asked.

How about this scenario: the same rider on two different bikes - one with full suspension, one without? Is one generally faster than the other?
    This is what I mean.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Believe either Outside or Backpacker magazine did a test like that a couple years ago. The hardtail could do faster single laps but the Full sus could do more consistant laps for a longer time.
    Ridin' fo' dayzz

Wheels - 11' Giant Anthem X1
    -08 Eastern Slash
    -08 Jamis Dragon

dude
    IMO suspension is faster in all instances other than super smooth, super buff XC type trails. Suspension gives you traction going uphill in rocky/rooty/gnar as well as pedaling efficiency in rough terrain as well. Having spent a lot of time on a hardtail as well as suspension, the main thing is that you can pedal THROUGH rough terrain instead of dealing with keeping the rear tire on the ground.

But on smooth trails, the added pedaling efficiency and lighter weight of a hardtail will probably make it faster.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    According to this thread The 26 hardtail will never die in World cup racing, it looks like a majority of elite racers on a x-c course choose hard tails. So, for their skill level and type of riding, the answer I imagine would be hard tail.

I feel like I'm faster on the hard tail, but my times indicate that I'm fairly similar on both a hard tail and FS. On really technical stuff, I imagine that I would be faster on a FS, just because you can power and pedal through bumps easier on a FS.

mtbr member
    I went from a 7'' FS bike to a 5'' hardtail this year. I usually throw on a GPS app on my phone before I head out, and on my usual loop, the times have been very consistent. Straight hardpack, the hardtail is faster, and the FS is faster on the downhill rock gardens, and when trying to pedal through roots and rocks that are common on the East coast. The loop is about an hour, and all of the rides have been within 5 minutes of each other.

That said, if I was talking about a 4 hour or longer ride, I think the FS would win out, as it's easier to make "mistakes" due to fatigue on a full suspension bike and keep riding than it is on a hardtail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone
    I mean not only for all mountain use but for cross country and pretty much everything except downhill and freeride?
    All other things being equal, a rider will go further and faster on a suspension frame than a hardtail or rigid.

But whether or not faster is better depends on your opinion andwhat you want from riding your bike.

usually cranky
    as kanye puts it, "like old people pissin it all depends"

mtbr member
    are you asking about going uphill or down?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I rode a Transition TransAM hardtail for a couple seasons then I switched it up to a Santa Cruz Butcher this year. Which is faster? Depends on the trail.

On smooth, fast singletrack my TransAM was faster, more nimble and accelerate faster.

On anything technical (even climbs) the Butcher is faster and easier to pedal. There are times riding my Butcher where I really miss the hardtail. But for 75% of the trails I ride, a full suspension is faster.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2011 Yeti 303R DH
    2012 Banshee Spitfire V1.5

mtbr member
    The one with the brown frame is always faster.

T.W.O
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot
    The one with the brown frame is always faster.
    Really? Because I have red grips, which is like fire.. and fire trucks are fast so... BUT I ALSO HAVE A BROWN SADDLE SO MAYBE THAT IS WHY?
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

T.W.O.
    For an avg rider FS would be faster than HT in general riding. Decent "Brown" frame design would climb efficiently and descend with more control.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Front_Runner

The one he is riding at the moment. I have yet to figure out how to ride two bikes at the same time.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Fluid
    You can put the best rider on the biggest pos Wal-Mart bike, and he will still be faster than an inexperienced rider on the fastest, lightest bike.
    You should check out my walmart build lol

Check out my walmart frame build
    Keep Your Hopes Up High And Your Head Down Low

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Saw someone riding two unicycles @ the same time, the one in front one was faster.

I wouldn't advise it though, the guy looked like a real fruitcake

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885
    For an avg rider FS would be faster than HT in general riding. Decent "Brown" frame design would climb efficiently and descend with more control.

What is a brown frame?

Specialized sucks ass.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone
    What is a brown frame?
    Whaaatt you don't know brown frame? shhheeezz, PM this guy he'll explain it to you better

~ B A D A S S ~
    Maybe just white spokes? Red stem? Pink hoses?

Specialized sucks ass.

T.W.O.
    Ok serious now, a FS would be faster on the climb and descend given that the bike is about the same weight because the suspension would compress and absorb the bumps and keep the rider more linear especially on the climb.

A rigid rear would generally transfer bumps into a vertical movement killing momentum and speed, the edge that HT has is the solid feel of power transfer from pedal to the forward momentum, it's not always the case but a lot of your climbing ability comes from psychological side as well so it's good way to motivate you up the climb. On FS you feel less bumps but at the same time you'd give that solid pedal feel as well.

There's no question in my mind that a rider of the same ability would descend faster than HT.

gnuH
    Which is more fun is the easier question to answer.
    A green bird with a red body. We could look it up in a book. Or we could look up

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast