mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Dual SPD/Platforms...

I love my Shimano SPD's. We all know the pros in riding them. However, my local trails have killer technical trails to navigate through. Sometimes clipping in isn't the best idea in many parts. What suggestions do you have in regards to dual sided (SPD/Platform) pedals? Anyone have feedback on the Shimano PD- T780 or similar models? How are the grips on the platform side when using SPD's to get through those technical hot spots?

mtbr member
    try 5 10s and a platform pedal if you haven't. the shoes will transform the pedal.

mtbr member
    dual sided pedals are evil because you cannot get clipped back in fast, reliably.

you need to commit to one option or another. either get some eggbeaters-- which have the fastest entry of anything I've seen, and exit fast enough-- or get pinned platforms and 510 shoes.

FWIW when I ride downhill with eggbeaters I can easily uncliip my inside foot in a fast, loose corner and clip it back in within one revolution of the cranks. I'm not special, it just takes practice.

if you aren't clipping in / out fast enough, try practicing trackstands and ultra-slow maneuvering in a large yard or park. wear all your gear and expect to fall. but it's better to fall there than on a rocky trail.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by calie View Post
    I love my Shimano SPD's. We all know the pros in riding them. However, my local trails have killer technical trails to navigate through. Sometimes clipping in isn't the best idea in many parts. What suggestions do you have in regards to dual sided (SPD/Platform) pedals? Anyone have feedback on the Shimano PD- T780 or similar models? How are the grips on the platform side when using SPD's to get through those technical hot spots?
    It's not about being a "pro". Many of us have chosen to ride clips for many years, down all kinds of terrain, whether it's the ski resort and steep chutes and ladders to drops, or just rolling along on a mellow flat trail. Commitment and skills are the key. You have to work on them and not give up.

The thing about saying "you have to unclip in certain parts" is that you are virtually guaranteeing you will crash in said section, clipless, flats, or whatever. This isn't meant to be derogatory, but you are essentially saying you do not have the skills to ride through that section. Now you want to unclip and have even less control. Even with some of recent developments with "one-sided clipless pedals" you still end up with a big metal cleat on the bottom of your shoe and it is far from the control you get with a real flat-pedal setup.

If you want to ride good flat pedals, you need big sticky flat pedals with soft sticky flat pedal shoes. Those will get you back up in terms of "control" and lots of people choose to use them of course, but by no means does the terrain dictate that you have to.

My advice would be practice unclipping more, try multi-release shimano cleats, try loosening the tension if it's an issue.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    If you really want both clips and flats, you should probably not be looking at spd clips. The spd platforms currently offered are very very poor platforms. Even the spd mechanism is fairly outdated. I'd suggest looking into a set of mallet or mallet dh pedals. They work great as clips, are infinitely faster to clip into than spds, and the platform works reasonably well. The eggbeater bars sort of squash down and move out of the way when you stand on them like a flat. You can still feel them, but they don't cause trouble. I used them for 3 years and they are great. Definitely not one of those 'i can't ride technical stuff with clips' things. I just like to have the freedom to use both when I feel like it. High speed crashes are much better when you aren't clipped in, imho.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by charging_rhinos View Post
    mallet or mallet dh pedals are infinitely faster to clip into than spds.
    Well, that's a new one. Exactly how are they "faster"? I had problems with the eggbeater mechanism in the mallet pedals hitting the cleat and causing my shoe and foot to "roll" forward off the pedal because the mechanism wasn't aligned with the cleat perfectly when trying to clip in. No doubt, my foot did shoot forward off the pedal fast. The equivalent shimano pedals are 545s and 657s, which have a 30 degree cant to the mechanism, which allows you to just stomp down and click in, rather than have to "push forward" like with the mallets. Mallets were no better than 545s or any other clipless pedal when unclipped. If you like mallets, get mallets, they are the equivalent CB product to the 545s and 647s. If you are getting them to "unclip" for "technical" sections, it's still a bad idea.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    i had the same thought process a few years ago, so i tried these:

Wellgo WAM-D10 Pedals | Wellgo | Brand | www.PricePoint.com

it's got pins and platform on one side, and an SPD style cleat on the other. my main goal was to increase my confidence level in certain technical sections (i.e. keep my feet unclipped if i had to "tap" on short notice). prior to this i'd been using pure SPDs for about 15 years.

i noticed a few issues using these:
    -i had to use a skate style spd shoe (so that it would grip the non-SPD side as well), but found that when clipped in, i got bad knee pain and soreness for the first time in my life. they didn't float as well as a normal Sidi style cycling shoe and SPD pedal, and for me, that caused a lot of knee pain
    -clipping into them took a lot longer than clipping into normal SPDs

i ended up just going to full flat pedals after a few months of using these combo pedals, and for me that ended up being the best choice (i'm better able to weight and unweight the bike, and have finally learned how to properly bunny hop).
    94 Specialized Rockhopper

mtbr member

Re: Dual SPD/Platforms...

7 rides on flats and 510s. No real reason to go back to spd for me. I have kept my shoes and spds in the car for a month ready for when I need to switch back.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
    2012 camber carbon for sale.

2014 Norco range 7.1.

mtbr member
    If after reading the above posts you still would like to do both think you should consider a big grippy platform clippless like crank bros mallets. You can clip in on both sides, can run them with or without the pins, and they're not a pain to clip into like the wellgo wam d-10's which the clipless side is always on the bottom so you'll have to flip it.
    My .02
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    thanks for all the good info guys!