mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Dual Slalom set up

My first post...not sure it this is the place for this question, but...

I recently purchased a brand new bike and was previously riding a Giant NRS 2 for 5 years. I don't want to get rid of this bike, but I know I won't ride it anymore. So, I was thinking that I wanted to try my hand at a few dual slalom races next season just for fun.

My question is regarding the proper set up. Before buying my new bike I had a series of fortunate events that allowed me to replace the 3" travel crappy Skarab that came with the bike with a brand new100 mm travel Manitou Minute...for free. So, I think that fork is ok for what I'm looking to do with the bike. I also know that the SID shock is pretty much hosed and needs to be replaced.

The stem will be replaced to a much shorter one, chain guide and maybe handle bars. My question is...can or better yet, should this bike be used for Dual Slalom? or am I just dreaming and trying to relive my BMX days of the 80's?

Thanks in advance for any input.

2 minutes turkish
    one thing you notice at a dual slalom event is the wide variety of setups. hard tails. dual. 100mm. 180mm. and everything in between.

jump in and see how she does, then start tweaking on it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Cool. That's great advice. I can make a few small changes now that don't cost anything (remove chainrings, etc.) and then decide if I need other changes.

I can't believe I didn't think of that.

Thanks.