Okay guys this is my first thread on here so I'm going to give you a little background amd then ask for some advice.
I'm 31 years old, live in Monterey Ca (home of the Sea Otter) and am getting myself ready to do a couple of events at the Sea Otter this year, specifically the dual slalom and DH. I've never raced a bicycle before and am just getting into it. I am an intermediate X Country dirt bike rider, I've ridden bikes on and off from the time I was a kid, I have above averages ills compared to your average rider but From a fitness standpoint I need more training which I'm working on now. I'm your average healthy 6'0" 172lb guy.
I just purchased a used but good condition 05 stump jumper 120 expert, The buddy I'm riding with rides a similar bike and we are going to get into shape together and do so,e racing. Now that you know about me here army questions.
1. What do you think I need to know that knave no idea about?
2. Ive looked at the website and I'm getting ready to register but how do the classes work? I plan on racing cat 3, I've read the threads about sand bagging and part of me thinks I could do pretty good in Cat 2 judging from my speed vs. my buddies and people I meet on the trail but I've never raced a bike so I'm truly a beginner at this.
3. Pedals, I've just gone clip less on this new bike and I really them though I feel most people probably don't use then in DH or DS?
4. Is the stump jumper I've got up to the task of the DH and DS or am I pushing the limits of the frame and air shock?
5. Safety equipment, I've got my dirt bike stuff I can wear, full face helmet, chest protector, elbow guards, knee guards although I think those would be a bad idea, so what do people really wear. I've watched the YouTube videos so I think I have this pretty figured out but give me insight.
If you've read is far thanks alot, and if you're coming to the sea otter let me know.
Results 1 to 4 of 4
Thread: Dual Slalom Advice