mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Dual Slalom Advice

Okay guys this is my first thread on here so I'm going to give you a little background amd then ask for some advice.

I'm 31 years old, live in Monterey Ca (home of the Sea Otter) and am getting myself ready to do a couple of events at the Sea Otter this year, specifically the dual slalom and DH. I've never raced a bicycle before and am just getting into it. I am an intermediate X Country dirt bike rider, I've ridden bikes on and off from the time I was a kid, I have above averages ills compared to your average rider but From a fitness standpoint I need more training which I'm working on now. I'm your average healthy 6'0" 172lb guy.

I just purchased a used but good condition 05 stump jumper 120 expert, The buddy I'm riding with rides a similar bike and we are going to get into shape together and do so,e racing. Now that you know about me here army questions.

1. What do you think I need to know that knave no idea about?

2. Ive looked at the website and I'm getting ready to register but how do the classes work? I plan on racing cat 3, I've read the threads about sand bagging and part of me thinks I could do pretty good in Cat 2 judging from my speed vs. my buddies and people I meet on the trail but I've never raced a bike so I'm truly a beginner at this.

3. Pedals, I've just gone clip less on this new bike and I really them though I feel most people probably don't use then in DH or DS?

4. Is the stump jumper I've got up to the task of the DH and DS or am I pushing the limits of the frame and air shock?

5. Safety equipment, I've got my dirt bike stuff I can wear, full face helmet, chest protector, elbow guards, knee guards although I think those would be a bad idea, so what do people really wear. I've watched the YouTube videos so I think I have this pretty figured out but give me insight.

If you've read is far thanks alot, and if you're coming to the sea otter let me know.

Member of The Yeti Tribe
    This probably needs to get moved to the Otter Forum.. But From what I have herd of the Otter, you could probably build up a Stumpy to race dual and dh there.. not saying it would be the best but the DH at the Otter can and has been won on a 4 inch travel bike before and so It is not undoable on a stumpy... As for racing DS.. I would advise you to build up a hardtail to race.. you will have more fun and race better than on your stumpy..

Clips vs Flats is total preferance.. lots of DH guys including myself race cliped in on DS and DH, but there are lots of others that race on flats.. what ever you feel comfortable on..

Someone else will have to help you on classes.. I personally would race cat 1 but I have been racing cat 1 for the last 4 years.. First race is always hard to judge..

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    Stop this Derailleur Madness!!.... De-Rail-er

See what the God of bikes has to say about it..

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Maybe I misunderstand the classes but I thought that Cat 3 was the lowest aka beginner.

mtbr member
    Don't wear MX gear it's way to heavy!! You can usually find reasonably priced helmets and gear on the web.