Team Chilidog!

Dual ring chainguide - which one?

So I've tried a couple dual-ring chainguides, and so far, it's been frustrating. This is on a Ventana X-5 with BB mounting (I do not have ISCG tabs):

Blackspire Dualie and dewlite: both made the chain very slow
    Gamut: works great when it doesn't bend

I like the Gamut one, but the metal on it seems not stout enough because it doesn't take much to get it knocked around. So I'm debating on either getting the Gamut working again and having it reinstalled, or getting the E13 DRS or the Race Face Altas dual ring chainguide. (I'm running RF Atlas with 36/24).

Thoughts on it?
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

Blunt Blazer
    Oct 2010
    my first one that i bought was an e 13 DRS guide.. i like it very much..its awesome. just make sure you get the right backplate for your ISCG tabs (05/OLD) running it with a shaimano Deore crankset

Team Chilidog!
    I don't have ISCG tabs, so I have to have a BB mounted one.

Quote Originally Posted by K2Lambo666
    my first one that i bought was an e 13 DRS guide.. i like it very much..its awesome. just make sure you get the right backplate for your ISCG tabs (05/OLD) running it with a shaimano Deore crankset

Blunt Blazer
    Oct 2010
    oh..i think you can still get the DRS one..just gotta get a BB adapter.. i would call them

Former Ninja
    Jul 2005
    oh..i think you can still get the DRS one..just gotta get a BB adapter.. i would call them
    With dual ring guides, if you don't have ISCG-05 tabs then you're best off with a BB mount setup. The edge of the BB shell is always in alignment with your cranks and chainring, just be sure to degrease the BB mounting surfaces and torque up your BB cup to spec.

The DRS is robust enough to take some good hits, and is quite drag free when setup correctly. You'll want to adjust the chainline on your Atlas's to 50mm as well:
    http://raceface.com/comp/inst/Atlas.AM.web.pdf

Hope this helps!

mtbr member
    Would any one know if the E 13 DRS work on my 08 kona Dawg..i want to run a dual set up also..thx Stan
    Respect the Aina....Aloha

Its got what plants crave
    I like the Blackspire Stinger.

Not only does it have a badass name, like some sort of military grade surface to air missile, but it also keeps my chain from falling off, and is compatible with dual ring setups. Oh, it's cheap too. It is win all the way around.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

Team Chilidog!
    Does it also have what plants crave? I love your avatar.

Yeah, I'm trying that first. I'll probably replace the roller with an MRP one to quiet it down. If it doesn't work, I'll go to the E*13. I would prefer the E*13, but right now, it looks like the stinger is what I'll try for now.

I have my hesitations with my last luck with Blackspire chainguides, but at least this one is cheap.

I heard E*13 was moving to something new now that the Hive acquired them. philw86: Can you confirm the new dual ring chainguide that's I've heard is coming out, or is the DRS what E*13 is going to stick with?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    I like the Blackspire Stinger.

Not only does it have a badass name, like some sort of military grade surface to air missile, but it also keeps my chain from falling off, and is compatible with dual ring setups. Oh, it's cheap too. It is win all the way around.
    Last edited by Stripes; 01-31-2011 at 02:51 PM.

Its got what plants crave
    There is like nothing whatsoever to go wrong with the Blackspire, it's just a metal plate, a bolt, and a roller. I heard complaints about the roller being hard or noisy but mine isn't so I'm not sure what that's about?
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

Team Chilidog!
    The roller being a bit noisy I can deal with. What I can't deal with is drag. I had a lot of drag on the Dewlite. Hopefully the Stinger is better made.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    There is like nothing whatsoever to go wrong with the Blackspire, it's just a metal plate, a bolt, and a roller. I heard complaints about the roller being hard or noisy but mine isn't so I'm not sure what that's about?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes
    Does it also have what plants crave? I love your avatar.

Yeah, I'm trying that first. I'll probably replace the roller with an MRP one to quiet it down. If it doesn't work, I'll go to the E*13. I would prefer the E*13, but right now, it looks like the stinger is what I'll try for now.

I have my hesitations with my last luck with Blackspire chainguides, but at least this one is cheap.

I heard E*13 was moving to something new now that the Hive acquired them. philw86: Can you confirm the new dual ring chainguide that's I've heard is coming out, or is the DRS what E*13 is going to stick with?
    I just put on the E13 Heim 2 and it's been solid for me so far. Not much ride time on it yet though. I think there's room for both setups. The Heim is a lightweight backplate/stepped roller option like the Stinger, but the DRS is a more secure retaining device that's a bit heavier. I'd hope they wouldn't phase out either, but you never know.

It's weird the way the merger shook out with The Hive and e.13. The company overall is going to be called The Hive, but all the offroad components are going to be under the e.13 brand, which falls under The Hive umbrella. Brand name recognition is hard to come by and I don't think they wanted to lose that with e.13. If anything, I think it will lead to a broader range of products from e.13 and new innovative components. That's my hope anyway.

The Heim 2 with the TurboCharger bash makes for a sick setup. I don't notice any drag either but it's possible you might be more sensitive to that sort of thing.
    Last edited by BaeckerX1; 01-31-2011 at 05:26 PM.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

Off the back...
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes
    The roller being a bit noisy I can deal with. What I can't deal with is drag. I had a lot of drag on the Dewlite. Hopefully the Stinger is better made.
    I rode the Stinger all last year, with a polycarbonate bash ring. That thing kicked ass. Put the same setup on my wife's Ventana, and trust me when I say I would have heard about it if there was any excessive drag.

mtbr member
    Dual ring chainguide - which one?-dsc01276-1408-x-1056-704-x-528-.jpg
    Stripes, I'm running a BB mount dual ring Gamut guide on my Elchucho with out any problems.

Blunt Blazer
    Oct 2010
    heres a pic of the new e13 with the hive. its preety awesome

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Rotate your bash a quarter turn.

http://www.e13components.com/setup_i...ns/drs_web.pdf
    Look at the bottom of page 2.

Blunt Blazer
    Oct 2010
    thanks..the older instructions didnt have that on there.

Team Chilidog!
    Yeah, it is. I'm got my Gamut reinstalled, and positioned a little differently thanks to Jeff in Bend (thanks Jeff, I think mine had been originally installed too low).

If it bends again, I'll replace it with the new E13. It looks great, and I'd love to hear later reports on how it performs.

Former Ninja
    Jul 2005
    thanks..the older instructions didnt have that on there.
    Thanks K2 and Bonk! The new badges are pretty cool, but (unfortunately) you do need to hide one behind your crankarm. They're on the thin sides of the bash, so putting them the wrong way can drasticly shorten the life of the Turbocharger (assuming you keep your cranks level through the rocks, right?).

In regards to the merger and how e*thirteen now sits with the Hive, you guys pretty much have it right. e*thirteen is the mountain components group, so we're not strictly focused on chain guides anymore. Improved efficiency and processes should help keep customer service at the top of the game...not to mention the new webstore that should make getting small parts/replacement parts that much easier.

usually cranky
    it seems like a moot point now but i have heard that bs stingers dont always play so nice with rf cranks and certain frames. but it is e-gossip and i have no first hand knowledge of this so take it as you will.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by philw86
    Thanks K2 and Bonk! The new badges are pretty cool, but (unfortunately) you do need to hide one behind your crankarm. They're on the thin sides of the bash, so putting them the wrong way can drasticly shorten the life of the Turbocharger (assuming you keep your cranks level through the rocks, right?).

In regards to the merger and how e*thirteen now sits with the Hive, you guys pretty much have it right. e*thirteen is the mountain components group, so we're not strictly focused on chain guides anymore. Improved efficiency and processes should help keep customer service at the top of the game...not to mention the new webstore that should make getting small parts/replacement parts that much easier.
    Yay, can't wait until I can order new rollers direct!
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    For those of you running a Stinger, do you get any chain rub on the metal plate/roller support arm in the larger cogs? Is it something to be worried about in terms of chain life, if you do?