mtbr member
    May 2007

Dual Crown Forks on Trail Bike?

What do you guys think? Is it a good idea or bad idea. I was thinking about putting a 170mm Marzocchi Junior T on my bike. I'm sure they will be good on the downhills, but I'm concerned about climbing.

I just wanna go fast...
    yech. if your bike is too raked out, it's hard to steer when you climb.

mtbr member
    Totally depends on the bike. Putting that fork on a frame designed for, say, 130mm of travel would be awful. If the frame can take it, it would be fine. What bike is it going on?

3 "fiddy" for short
    Another thing to consider is that if it is a trail bike you may need an aggressive turning radius for tight single track. For this I would suggest one of the many long travel single crowns that are available.

As HAB said, it depends on the frame. But, I would stick to a single crown for trail riding, That is just my opinion though.

ride hard take risks
    Agree LT SC
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

TNC
    noMAD man
    Since you mentioned an older Jr.T, I'm guessing this all revolves around $money$. For even super aggressive trail that takes in some decent FR, todays long travel single crown forks can take it. And be aware that the dampers in the Jr.T suck. They're simple orifice ported units that have serious spiking in the the compression mode.

And then this doesn't even get into the weight, geometry issues, and turning radius problems with that fork for trail riding. Anything's possible...I even occasionally trail rode one of my Bullits in a 41lb. setup with a Monster T on front. I have 4 MTBs to ride, and I would have absolutely hated to have to ride that bike as my "only" ride.

mtbr member
    Turning radius is a myth. I have a DC fork on my big bike. When the fork contacts the frame you have to be almost stopped to make the turn.

TNC
    noMAD man
    Generally I'd disagee with that. However, not all DC forks are equal in how much they might restrict maximum turning angle. That Monster T I had on my Bullit has such a wide stance at the stanchions that you could turn just about an honest 90 degrees...and indeed, that's about all one can realistically use. The bike frame width and design can also come into play to restrict or allow more turing angle...along with whatever one is using for fork/frame stops obviously.

Mike, what you're saying has a great deal of truth, but when you stall out sometimes in a slow technical section, that few degrees a single crown fork would give you could make all the difference in stopping or regaining balance and pedaling away. Plus I don't think it's just where a given DC fork might stop you. You know how you can get to a slow, stall spot on a trail, and the only thing saving you from having to quit is the ability to "saw" on the bars while your fork is cocked way over to the side? A DC fork will more often than not prohibit you from doing this.

In reality this kind of riding is probably not what DC fork manufacturers had in mind...and for good reason. And for me personally, this probably isn't the biggest issue of why a DC fork isn't the best choice for most trail riding. Of course you have to put a fork like DUC32 in a different category to some degree, though it too has some turning radius issue in extreme conditions. We sell Maverick at out shop...I've ridden that fork. Mike, while I'd agree this DC turning radius issue isn't a big can of worms or anything, it can affect some manuevers in certain situations...or at least complicate it to some degree.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    TNC I sent you a private message. I have some questions in regards to putting a Maverick fork on my new Morewood Ndiza ST. How do you feel the Maverick forks would work out for my 4" travel frame?

Just another FOC'er
    I've got a Boxxer Ride DC fork on my Turner 6-Pack and I totally love the setup. Maybe I'm weird, but I never have problems with tight turns, knees hitting the top crown, or the fact it probably weighs 2 lbs more than an SC fork of the same travel.

Plus my bars never spin around and rip my hydraulic brake lines out of the levers.