mtbr member

Dt Swiss rear shock: XR carbon or XM 180?

I wanna buy another Dt Swiss shock, I love so much the total lockout.

I always lock the shock always when I go uphill, at the moment I use a M210 basic model, but I wanna replace it with the XR Carbon.

In your opinion, is the XR Carbon too tricky/delicate to use for "all mountain" use? I ride mainly on stony ground. I don't do big jumps.

Carbon XR model has not the "platform" which is supposed to be present in M210 model (which, to be fair, it seems almost non-existent).

Maybe the Dt XM180 model,is more durable, less delicate? I suppose that the XM180 is an XR Carbon ... without the carbon, isn't it?

What would you suggest to me?
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Haran View Post
    I wanna buy another Dt Swiss shock, I love so much the total lockout.

I always lock the shock always when I go uphill, at the moment I use a M210 basic model, but I wanna replace it with the XR Carbon.

In your opinion, is the XR Carbon too tricky/delicate to use for "all mountain" use? I ride mainly on stony ground. I don't do big jumps.

Carbon XR model has not the "platform" which is supposed to be present in M210 model (which, to be fair, it seems almost non-existent).

Maybe the Dt XM180 model,is more durable, less delicate? I suppose that the XM180 is an XR Carbon ... without the carbon, isn't it?

What would you suggest to me?
    Thanks!
    Ok, at the end I bought an XM180. Less money required!
    The german Dt Swiss service suggest the XM180, because it's a XR Carbon "without carbon".
    They say that this shock is a little bit more rigid on all mountain use than the XR Carbon.
    For all mountain use, they say the standard air chamber of the XM180 is better.
    At the end they say that the internals are the same - so a locked XM180 ist nothing else than a locked XR Carbon shock.

The U.K. Dt Swiss service say that the XR Carbon is a cross country shock, however if one were to take care of it, then the XR carbon should be ok for stony ground, just depends how technical.
    For endurance, they would recommend the XM180 over the XR Carbon.
    ;-)

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

XR Carbon durability

haran,I have posted a reply based on my experience of this shock.There is a lengthy response to another poster.In summary,XR carbon is fragile,Mine was destroyed in 18 months,DT quoting 415 for repairs,customer back up none existent ,DT simply ignoring all my emails,even the ones to SWiss HQ.I am sure there are happy XR owners out there,speaking only for myself,I will never buy DT again,at this stage it's not that I even want them to repair or replace the shock,I just want them to actually answer my e mails,they are completely ignoring me,draw your own conclusions

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Keving61 View Post
    haran,I have posted a reply based on my experience of this shock.There is a lengthy response to another poster.In summary,XR carbon is fragile,Mine was destroyed in 18 months,DT quoting 415 for repairs,customer back up none existent ,DT simply ignoring all my emails,even the ones to SWiss HQ.I am sure there are happy XR owners out there,speaking only for myself,I will never buy DT again,at this stage it's not that I even want them to repair or replace the shock,I just want them to actually answer my e mails,they are completely ignoring me,draw your own conclusions
    Thanks Kevin! I hope XM 180 is better. If not... I'll let you know here.
    I know Dt Swiss customer service is not so good.

Touch wood...