Thread: DT Swiss EX1750

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

DT Swiss EX1750

Hey all,

I've done various searches without too much luck... I'm looking for some feedback/opinions on the DT Swiss EX1750 wheelset for AM use.

I'm in the 195lb range and would consider myself a fairly smooth rider. The trails up here do involve a range of conditions with the occasional drop/jump, but mostly they are a tanlged mess of rock and root. They would be fitted to my new Trek Remedy. I'm be running them with 2.3-2.4" tires.

I'm looking for that elusive wheelset that will stand BC style trails but be light enough for doing long rides in the Tahoe area and marathon style racing (50+ miles). I may even take in the Ashland Super D this summer. I thinking that for the rougher riding I could just swap in a tougher tire with a DH sidewall.

Thanks,
    Jon.

Desert Rat
    Jul 2005

DT 1750's

I've been riding a pair on my Transition Covert for a little over a year now. This is in Colorado Front Range and Fruita/GJ/Palisade areas. I haven't touched them. My rear has a little wobble, but not much. They've been a maintenance free, good set of wheels. DT is a local company for me (in Grand Junction, CO) so we support them as much as we can. They make nice hardware.

I weigh ~175 - 180 plus stuff, and ride moderate to agressive trail - no huge air for me.

Scott
    RapidCreekCycles

Palisade CO Ride the Palisade Rim Trail
    Niner

COPMOBA

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Jon,

I love these wheels. I'm 195 w/o gear and am going on my third season with my first pair. I've use these for pretty much everything, including some 'light' DH racing and two seasons of Super D style XC events. I've only had to true my older set once since purchasing and replaced the front bearings last fall.

They roll fast, are fairly durable so long as you're not stupid with them as the rims are basically just painted 5.1D's. The rear 'quick release' ratchet system is a bit larger than the standard after market 340's upgrade and adds a ton of stiffness to the rear end. If you ever decide to go the 15QR or 9mm route, you can purchase adapters to convert the front down from 20mm.

I can't imagine owning another wheelset as these have been so good to me. I purchased a second pair last fall and now use them for trail riding. My older set is now set up with 2.5's and will be used for DH use this summer.

Pro's:
    -Fast! These will spin forever.
    -Fairly light for that style of wheel.
    -Pretty much put them on and forget about them.
    -Adds a fair amount of stiffness to the rear end, similar to a thru-bolt hub.
    -Comes with a pair of sweet wheelbags.

Drawbacks:
    -Price.
    -Mounting/unmounting larger tires like 2.5 downhill tires can be a bit of a chore.
    -Mounting/unmounting any tire with the DT Swiss tubeless conversion can be a bit of a chore.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Ah, herein lies a problem I think... will that hub work with the Trek ABP pivot/axle arrangement? The Trek has an over long QR that I'd have to use to account for the extra width of the pivot... if I can't use that QR then this may mean game over for this wheelset.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I think I have found the answer.. I need these: QR conversion widgets

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Another option is the Easton Havoc AM wheelset or build up your own.

I have two sets of wheels for my Reign, one is the Easton Havocs and the other is Hope Pro II hubs (10mm TA and 20mm front) on Syncro DS25. Both wheels sets run in the about 1850 if my memory is correct. Not quite as light as the 1750s but in the same league for strength.

The Havocs are setup with Mountain King 2.2 and the Hope set with and Ardent 2.4 front and 2.25 Advantage for the back. I did try running a 2.35 WTB tire which was very large for 2.35 but it did not roll very well. Fitting larger tires does not seem to be a problem and so far I have not had a tire roll off.

The 1750s are nice, add some bling, but are usually pretty costly.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Well I've answered my own question.. a quick call around here seems that getting my hands on the QR adapter for the hubs won't be easy and as I already have a set of wheels with Hadley hubs I'll stick with them and get the rear wheel rebuilt.

I was just hoping to take advantage of what looked like a screaming deal on some 1750's second hand.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jon_boy
    Well I've answered my own question.. a quick call around here seems that getting my hands on the QR adapter for the hubs won't be easy and as I already have a set of wheels with Hadley hubs I'll stick with them and get the rear wheel rebuilt.

I was just hoping to take advantage of what looked like a screaming deal on some 1750's second hand.
    i got the Crossmax SX and love em, couldnt decide between them and the DT swiss 1750

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    you won´t find a smoother hub than the dt, and the rims a very strong.