Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

dt swiss ex 471 rim anyone?

thinking of getting these put on my hubs instead of new wheels.

looks pretty fine for a light wide option. 25/30mm inner/outer at 471g for 26"

I assume there's nothing out there on them because they are new? i really have no idea how long they've been out but google is not helping

mtbr member
    only other thing i found is that Jared Graves is using them this year for EWS...so it must just be the new hotness from DT. Good enough for me; I'll post up later this summer it/when I have some time on them

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I just laced a wheelset with EX471 rims. DT350 straight pull hubs (28H), Sapim 2-1.8-2 straight pull spokes.
    The rims come with the PHR washers and squorx alloy nipples. It is nice that they give you a couple of extras.

The wheels have been pretty strong in the month that I've used them. No need to retrue. I weigh 190lbs and ride a Pivot Mach 5.7, I consider myself an agressive rider but I take care of my equipment.

I purchased the rims because they were the only "AM" rims in 28H that were wide enough. These are the same rims used in the Spline One EX 1501.

I struggled lacing the wheels due to the squorx nipples. 1) You can't use a nipple driver to start with all the spokes threaded evenly in the nipples. So it is harder to adjust hops. 2) The nipples are very tight as they are the "lock" version so I needed to hold the spokes with pliers to avoid them from twisting. I used WS spoke prep in addition but perhaps it was not needed.

I'm sure I'll be very happy with my wheelset and I would recommend them if you are stuck with 28H. Otherwise I think there are better options for 32H.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    What would you have gone with for 32h rim? I think highly of DT swiss and the price and spec all seem to add up to a pretty sensible option.

Earlier I had been (and still am to some degree) thinking of i9 enduro, but i have had such good experience with both DT and hope in the past...plus it would come in less expensive and hope has new 40 point rear hubs out now

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I would consider Flow EX, WTB i23 or i25. My friends that ride them are super happy and they take abuse. I like the fact that you can use standard brass nipples.

I'm with you on the Hope hubs. They are great for the price now that they come with the 40 points.

I don't want to sound like I don't like the EX471 rims. They are very well made, quality is top notch. I just rather use parts that I can get at any LBS.

I hear the i9 wheels are great, especially the hubs. But I would hate to stop riding for a week or two while I wait for a replacement spoke.

mtbr member
    I hear ya. It's just that the old flows were more than strong enough for me so I figure shaving a hair of wt would be cool instead of adding a hair. Both are wide. I'm not going to build them myself; I'll see what my preferred builder has to say about the nipple situation.

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Look at the wheel he's holding in the end of this, just saying.

Gwin’s Race Run at Leogang | IMB | Free Mountain Bike Magazine Online

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Was about to mention gwin, hardup beat me to it.
    He just rode a dh track including the rock garden racing line on the rim. I think these will be very popular. I know for sure im keen on them.

mtbr member
    are those 471s or FR600s that Gwin's using? Either way, SUPER impressive that a rim can take that kind of abuse.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by charging_rhinos View Post
    are those 471s or FR600s that Gwin's using? Either way, SUPER impressive that a rim can take that kind of abuse.
    He was running ex 471

mtbr member
    Yeah that run was more epic than a wold cup win! Crazy a sub 500g rim coped with that. I thought he was running the 600, too, but definitely the 471. Sucked for Gwin, but DT Swiss couldn't ask for better marketing.

I'm still not on em yet; when I was ready to buy my LBS couldn't get them at the time and haven't checked back in yet

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Anyone else build these up with other spokes?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I was really debating rims for my gravity rig, then found this thread. I ordered the 471s in 28h to go with 350s hubs and Competition straight pull spokes.

I'm currently killing myself over aluminum vs brass nipples. The rims come with the squorx aluminum nipples with washers, so I'm thinking that if DT thinks those are good then they're good, but the brass ones are less than 50g more for a 28h set, so why not?

I'll post pics of the build, but UPS has the kit right now.

SO EXCITED

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    wtb kom is now available in 25mm inner width. Claimed weight of 420g.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by drootang View Post
    wtb kom is now available in 25mm inner width. Claimed weight of 420g.
    I have no appreciation for this in reality, but I would think at that weight there may be a compromise in strength. If they are somehow magically built like a tank and retain that weight, sign me up!

Mike, why did you go 28h vs. 32? I would think for gravity, 32 would be the thing to do. I'm not saying you should have done 32, I was just curious. If you could get away with the 28 and still be stiff enough for DH, that'd be freaking awesome! Also, which Comps did you go with, the 1.8 or 2.0? There's a pretty decent weight difference between the two.

Please post up when you get them set up! I'm really surprised there hasn't been more buzz about these rims after the Gwin thing and knowing Jared Graves uses them on his EWS rig.
    I don't want to be a total lemming and use the logic that "Celebrity X uses it, so I should to." That being said, those 2 dudes ride harder than I ever will. It would seem if it's tough enough for them, it'd be a rim that should last me a good while with more pedestrian AM riding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tokarsky268 View Post
    I have no appreciation for this in reality, but I would think at that weight there may be a compromise in strength. If they are somehow magically built like a tank and retain that weight, sign me up!

Mike, why did you go 28h vs. 32? I would think for gravity, 32 would be the thing to do. I'm not saying you should have done 32, I was just curious. If you could get away with the 28 and still be stiff enough for DH, that'd be freaking awesome! Also, which Comps did you go with, the 1.8 or 2.0? There's a pretty decent weight difference between the two.
    WTB claims the KOM is a super slick alloy that allows them to use less material.

In my experience as a mechanical engineer, I'm thinking it's probably more of a heat treatment thing, but probably a little of both.

I went 28 because I really wanted to use straight spokes (not j-bend). I don't know anyone who makes a 32-hole straight pull hub. I went with the double butted competition straight-pull 2.0:1.8. So they are 1.8 in the middle.

I'm about to order the brass squorx nipples, but I have a whole bin of normal brass non-squorx nipples. Does anyone have experience using normal nipples with these rims? Washers? They come with supposedly fancy washers and spherical interface squorx nipples, not sure if it's snake oil or a real requirement for the rim drilling.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    The squorx nipples are already included with the rim and they are mandatory to use because of the interface with the washers and rim

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Hmm

They include aluminum squorx, but offer brass. Anyone have thoughts?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Look on wheelbuilder.com. They have a variety of choices including brass( also colors if you care).

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I would never use aluminium nipples on a wheel.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebowyer View Post
    I'm currently killing myself over aluminum vs brass nipples. The rims come with the squorx aluminum nipples with washers, so I'm thinking that if DT thinks those are good then they're good, but the brass ones are less than 50g more for a 28h set, so why not?

I'll post pics of the build, but UPS has the kit right now.

SO EXCITED
    so much for this BS. I just received the rims. They came with the alloy nipples, but no washers. The documentation that comes with them says you must use the supplied washers, but they were not supplied. Each rim was in a sealed dt box with instructions and nipples, and a warning to build them only with the washers.

This sucks. I emailed dt but don't expect an answer during the weekend. Hoped to have wheels by now. Nope.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebowyer View Post
    so much for this BS. I just received the rims. They came with the alloy nipples, but no washers. The documentation that comes with them says you must use the supplied washers, but they were not supplied. Each rim was in a sealed dt box with instructions and nipples, and a warning to build them only with the washers.

This sucks. I emailed dt but don't expect an answer during the weekend. Hoped to have wheels by now. Nope.

Boo!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Why dont you contact the shop, they should help you out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyvG View Post
    Why dont you contact the shop, they should help you out.
    I am the shop fortunately/unfortunately. Family owned by my family.

Just had had an obvious idea, does anyone have details or specs or pictures of these washers? I can't even find them for sale anywhere!

If they're just standard steel or brass washers I can make it happen, but dt even prints it ON THE RIM that you have to use them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    then I would expect you to have a agent/representative at DT swiss that you could call/mail about the missing washers. you sure they aren't in the bag with the nipples or taped somewhere in the box or whatever?

The washers are curved and perhaps shaped even more to fit the nipples and rims
    dt swiss ex 471 rim anyone?-20130419-104159.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dt swiss ex 471 rim anyone?-dtswiss_spline1_phr_sqourx.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast