mtbr member

dt swiss ex 471 rim anyone?

thinking of getting these put on my hubs instead of new wheels.

looks pretty fine for a light wide option. 25/30mm inner/outer at 471g for 26"

I assume there's nothing out there on them because they are new? i really have no idea how long they've been out but google is not helping

mtbr member
    only other thing i found is that Jared Graves is using them this year for EWS...so it must just be the new hotness from DT. Good enough for me; I'll post up later this summer it/when I have some time on them

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I just laced a wheelset with EX471 rims. DT350 straight pull hubs (28H), Sapim 2-1.8-2 straight pull spokes.
    The rims come with the PHR washers and squorx alloy nipples. It is nice that they give you a couple of extras.

The wheels have been pretty strong in the month that I've used them. No need to retrue. I weigh 190lbs and ride a Pivot Mach 5.7, I consider myself an agressive rider but I take care of my equipment.

I purchased the rims because they were the only "AM" rims in 28H that were wide enough. These are the same rims used in the Spline One EX 1501.

I struggled lacing the wheels due to the squorx nipples. 1) You can't use a nipple driver to start with all the spokes threaded evenly in the nipples. So it is harder to adjust hops. 2) The nipples are very tight as they are the "lock" version so I needed to hold the spokes with pliers to avoid them from twisting. I used WS spoke prep in addition but perhaps it was not needed.

I'm sure I'll be very happy with my wheelset and I would recommend them if you are stuck with 28H. Otherwise I think there are better options for 32H.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    What would you have gone with for 32h rim? I think highly of DT swiss and the price and spec all seem to add up to a pretty sensible option.

Earlier I had been (and still am to some degree) thinking of i9 enduro, but i have had such good experience with both DT and hope in the past...plus it would come in less expensive and hope has new 40 point rear hubs out now

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I would consider Flow EX, WTB i23 or i25. My friends that ride them are super happy and they take abuse. I like the fact that you can use standard brass nipples.

I'm with you on the Hope hubs. They are great for the price now that they come with the 40 points.

I don't want to sound like I don't like the EX471 rims. They are very well made, quality is top notch. I just rather use parts that I can get at any LBS.

I hear the i9 wheels are great, especially the hubs. But I would hate to stop riding for a week or two while I wait for a replacement spoke.

mtbr member
    I hear ya. It's just that the old flows were more than strong enough for me so I figure shaving a hair of wt would be cool instead of adding a hair. Both are wide. I'm not going to build them myself; I'll see what my preferred builder has to say about the nipple situation.

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Look at the wheel he's holding in the end of this, just saying.

Gwin’s Race Run at Leogang | IMB | Free Mountain Bike Magazine Online

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Was about to mention gwin, hardup beat me to it.
    He just rode a dh track including the rock garden racing line on the rim. I think these will be very popular. I know for sure im keen on them.

mtbr member
    are those 471s or FR600s that Gwin's using? Either way, SUPER impressive that a rim can take that kind of abuse.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by charging_rhinos View Post
    are those 471s or FR600s that Gwin's using? Either way, SUPER impressive that a rim can take that kind of abuse.
    He was running ex 471

mtbr member
    Yeah that run was more epic than a wold cup win! Crazy a sub 500g rim coped with that. I thought he was running the 600, too, but definitely the 471. Sucked for Gwin, but DT Swiss couldn't ask for better marketing.

I'm still not on em yet; when I was ready to buy my LBS couldn't get them at the time and haven't checked back in yet