Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Dropper seat post overload

To much info / claims on the wires. Can any of my brothers and sisters recommend the best bang for the buck when it comes to dropper posts?

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    honestly I think the best bang for buck ones are all made by Gravity Dropper purely because of reliability. all of the ofter ones have a much higher rate of failure, but all the other have some nicer features as well.

only ones to really stay away from it seems like are the crank brother ones.

hope that helps

BTW I don't even have a Gravity dropper, I have been using a Reverb but if I but again I'm pretty sure i will use a gravity dropper next time.

mtbr member
    I've heard good things about Gravity Dropper, but never used one.
    I am currently using a KS Super Natural 150mm, and it's been flawless for the last year after the first service (which improved it compared to stock). I am buying the KS Lev for my next bike. Can't stand riding my bikes that don't have droppers!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    You may be able to limit your search/confusion if you decide on the following: infinite vs. set adjustibility, mechanical vs. hydraulic, seat post size and how much of a drop you want. So, for example, if you know you want infinite adjustment, then Gravity Dropper and Fox (and probably some others) are not an option. Or, if you have a 27.2 seat post, then there are other droppers that are out of the picture.

FWIW, I've had a Gravity Dropper Turbo for 4 years and it has given me no problems. That being said, there are some features that other droppers have that I really like and, at this point, I'd be willing to take a risk on the reliability for the better features

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I bought the Gravity Dropper Turbo last year. I was exactly in your position last year. I wanted a dropper but the more I researched, the more I realized the only one that wouldn't drive me crazy with issues is the Gravity Dropper. I works great but the only con about the post is that it sounds literally like a cheapo spring. The post works great so I haven't really looked into the issue but it sounds cheap.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coxroach View Post
    To much info / claims on the wires. Can any of my brothers and sisters recommend the best bang for the buck when it comes to dropper posts?
    Based on my experience (and the experience on mending stuff for other people).

Gravity Droppers are most reliable, within GD's single position posts are more reliable than multis, which can crack at the extra position holes if you're heavy or a crasher. Very easy to look after.

Xfusion and KS come next. The Xfusion HiLo is cheaper normally and can develop a small shake at the head over time, the KS ones tend to be more solid but cost more. Both pretty reliable, occasionaly they get stuck down and have to be taken apart, both companies are good about returns.

RS Reverb has the most refined action/adjustability around, but can be a bit finicky to set up. Be prepared to bleed-re-bleed one to get it set up just so. They can pop seals and stick down, the remote button can be delicate in a crash too, Rockshox are pretty good on repairs though.

Fox DOSS isn't far from the Reverb but without the bleed issues due to the cable, the lever is big (about the size of a gear shifter) but works fine.

I know nothing about the Thomson one, haven't seen any yet.

Avoid anything with the words Maverick or Crank Brothers on it, life is too short to deal with that BS. Really any brand beside Crankies is worth a look, but my favourites are Gravity Droppers due to the minimal amount of maintenance they need, the pay back being the quite clunky operation.

Chris Bling
    One more vote for the Gravity Dropper. I had one of the original GD's years ago and with I had never sold it. Ended up buying a Reverb last year and its already dead. Going back for warranty.
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Starting to look like gravity dropper is the cat's pajamas. Funny how all the crappy ones are made by the big guys. Clearly, one needs to be careful with this purchase...thanks all

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Yeah, I can also vouch for Gravity Dropper. They know their ****..

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    If you want reliability, I bought a gravity dropper (what is now called the "classic" version) 7-1/2 years ago (one of the earliest years). 1-1/2 years into it, the shaft snapped. They had redesigned the inner shaft since my purchase, and replaced my shaft with the re-designed one at no charge (even though it was out of warranty). 6 years later, it is still working flawlessly, reliably, every time.

I do nothing more than grease it about every other year, and have replaced the cable 2 times in 7 years.

It is not a fancy hydraulic unit. It is not infinitely adjustable. It looks a little clunky. It goes up and down. Every time.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    DSP Racing Bighorn
    DSP-Racing
    Very reliable.

mtbr member
    i have a joplin 3, i got it with a used bike that it came with. It failed me twice, once it blew a seal and all the oil leaked out and the other time the actuation lever jammed and it got stuck in the up position.

after those repairs it works like a champ now and i have had no problems with it for a year.

im not saying go buy a joplin or kronolog, im just filling you in on my past experience with my Joplin.

mtbr member
    thanks...good info

mtbr member
    If I was looking to spend only $150 then the KSETen post would be right up there for a first choice:

Tested: KS ETen Seatpost - Pinkbike

I am more then happy with the performance of the KSi950 I have been using for close to three years now (with no problems - just disassemble/re-lube once a year).

mtbr member
    Was on a KS950i for over two years, other than cable maintenance and one cable replacement no issues. I've bleed my Reverb twice in two months, but it does work sweet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I have had very good luck with my command post blacklight...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    While prospecting a future purchase, I did some testing with my normal post. I first tryed to establish what post height would be absolute optimal for climbing; which is way up. Prospecting the gravity dropper and command post; i dropped it 1 inch, and surprisingly found that a 1 inch drop felt a smidge too low. As if a 1/2 or 3/4 inch would have been enough to get the seat a smidge out of the way but maintain great pedaling leverage. Call me anal but in this case an infinite post seemed ideal.
    As far as gravity, and jumping go; flash back to bmx racing and jumping, dropping it way down, to just below the knees; where you can pinch it with your knees; allows for optimal control and body english. Especially whipping or little flattys. That and it allows you to get way back and get low over your rear tire off ledges and in super steep situations. And any dropper will work or that.

But as far as rep and dependabilty go, i could live with the gravity dropper's; or command post's 1 inch drop.
    I actually ended up with a used ks i900. Hopefully its got alot of life left in it. I actually like the idea of infinite. Go as low as what gives you confidence and inch it up slightly to find that balance of pedal leverage. Im stoked on it. No more stopping and finagling. Just rock out.
    Last edited by akiracornell; 02-06-2013 at 12:51 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I can vouch for Gravity Dropper. It's bullet proof. However, you can get the parts cheap on their website if you ever need to fix the post. If you can change a tire and follow a diagram you can repair and maintain this post.
    I would hate to be stuck with a fancy hydraulic post when it fails and I have to send it in for service.

mtbr member
    Presently have a CB Kronolog and it is money. However, I got it b/c they hooked me up after so many issues with my Joplin 3 then my Joplin 4. The Kronolog is tricky to initially setup, but that's a one-time gig.

I love that you can lift the bike by the saddle, something other posts (namely hydraulics) have issues with.

Regarding infinite adjustment: personally I don't find it to be a value-add. While my Kronolog has it I only put the post all the way up or all the way down. But that's personal preference.

Another thing to consider is cable placement. Posts where the cable mounts at or near the saddle, and for which the whole cable moves are annoying. I like that the Kronolog's cable stays mounted low in a fixed position.

CB was very easy to work with, but all my kudos about the Kronolog need to be taken in light of nearly 2 yrs swearing about the Joplins. Were those growing pains associated with being early to market, or indicative of the mfctr? Don't know.

mtbr member
    How long you had it?

LCW
    mtbr member

Dropper seat post overload

Rockshox Reverb. I haven't had any bleed issues. Super smooth. Infinite positions. RockShox quality and customer service.
    2011 Yeti 575 - 2015 Fox Float 36 RC2 160 / Fox Float X - 31.3 lbs

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Another vote for reverb. Strongly suggest you buy it at lbs for ease of warranty work. I got mine when it first came out in Aug 2010, bled it 3 - 4 times over next couple years (easy process, kit included). It lost all pressure 22 months later, my lbs sent it to rockshox and they sent me a new post. This new one has not needed to be bled for first six months, see what happens in the future, but I'm satisfied so far.

For actuator, I mount it upside down on opposite side, no issues in crashes so far, and you can still turn your bike on its bars when fixing something on the trail.

dave
    12 sb66c
    08 575

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    How long you had it?
    I take back my praise for my Kronolog. I just got back from Green Mtn. Worked totally fine on the climb. Got to the top, pushed it all the way down, and when got about 1/2 way to the bottom of trail it failed to return to upright. I can pull it up by hand, but won't come up by itself.

Got it home, inspected inner cable: fine. Oiled it: no help. Tried to add air: wouldn't hold. Air pressure was at zero and with every pump I could hear a leak. Took to my LBS who immersed it in water and determined the air leak is from inside the unit, which is not serviceable without being sent back. So now its packed and ready to be sent back.

Incidentally, the shop had a new Gravity Dropper Turbo. It looks like a fine bit of machinery. There was also a customer in there that had an older version on his Santa Cruz Blur and he was raving about GD. So I'm going to send the Kronolog back in, get a replacement one, sell it on CL or eBay and use the funds to buy a GD Turbo.

One positive that has come from this Kronolog failure is that it taught me the importance of a mechanical rather than hydraulic/oil design. The mechanical design enabled me to manipulate the post into a usable position after failure. I couldn't do that when my Joplin 4 failed. That thing became spongy and sank into the low position pretty far out on a ride in Eagle. So at least with a mechanical you can swag a field repair to enable you to enjoy the rest of the ride.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    I have tried 2 so far.
    A joplin 3, blew a seal and they replaced updated stronger seal and it worked flawlessly for 1.5 years and I sold it on the bike..

now have a reverb.. works great so far after 8 months..

Dropper post is the best invention ever..
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    If you want reliability, I bought a gravity dropper (what is now called the "classic" version) 7-1/2 years ago (one of the earliest years). 1-1/2 years into it, the shaft snapped. They had redesigned the inner shaft since my purchase, and replaced my shaft with the re-designed one at no charge (even though it was out of warranty). 6 years later, it is still working flawlessly, reliably, every time.

I do nothing more than grease it about every other year, and have replaced the cable 2 times in 7 years.

It is not a fancy hydraulic unit. It is not infinitely adjustable. It looks a little clunky. It goes up and down. Every time.
    Ditto. Only I got mine after the shaft redesign and have never had a problem with it. Probably 5+ years now. It gets regreased every year or so. I replaced the expandable rubber boot once, because someone gave me a spare.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast