Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Dropper post for cold temperature?

I have a Reverb on my FS bike and I'm thinking or buying another one for my HT, which I mainly use as an early winter bike. I will ride at temperatures down to -10*C or so. I found out last year that the Reverb is useless for these temperatures and I read that the KS LEV isn't much better.

I need a 27.2mm diameter and I'm thinking that the GravityDropper should work well for that application. The Thomson should be good also (when available), as it seems they engineered it to be usable at very cold temperatures.

Are there other good options I should consider?

Any good points for or against the GD? I read that the lever is awkward... How will I like it compared to the Reverb? Is the mechanical operation still a good option compared to the newest offerings?

Any Thomson users? I own several Thomson products and I am a fan, but the dropper is fairly new and I didn't see much feedback about it.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I'd go mechanical. Every hydraulic post I've had (reverb, KS, and Joplin) has had issues in cold weather. I think I'm going to put on a regular straight post this winter. ..... If I can stand it. If not I'll be shopping for an old GD.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    If not I'll be shopping for an old GD.
    PM me if your interested in mine
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    '14 rocky mountain altitude, rally edition
    '11 transition blindside

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I rode one of the KS Lev mechanical posts in the spring in Colorado with snow on the ground routinely and had zero issues. Not sure if it's as cold as Quebec, but there was no issue at all down to -4 C or so.

mtbr member
    I've used my Specialized Commandpost in temps down to about 25* F, and it worked just fine.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    The Command Post supposidly has a "cold weather tune" DIY option which from what I understand just involves using a lighter viscosity grease internally. Google it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tystevens View Post
    I've used my Specialized Commandpost in temps down to about 25* F, and it worked just fine.
    My buddy's new one started locking up around 5c last year.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the feedback!

So it seems nobody has anything bad to say about the GD...I guess that's good! The Rase seems heavy at >600g, and my lbs doesn't carry Specialized products, so that's making the Command a bit less interesting.

Another question on the GD: I have a front derailleur on the HT...is it possible to use a RH remote on the left, along with a SRAM front shifter and Juicy brake (I have a Matchmaker, if that matters)? I have this setup with my Reverb (RH remote on the left), but I don't have a front derailleur on that bike, so it fits quite nicely.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I have a GD Turbo LP and it works flawless thus far, granted only 3 months or so of use. Regarding the lever - I definitely see where it can be improved but it's not THAT bad...it works every time that I press it. I got a right hand lever with the intention of running it upside down on the left (in the place of my front shifter eventually). Currently there is no way that I could cram the GD lever in there on the left side with a FD shifter. I don't have matchmakers but I just don't see how you could fit the GD lever under there with the shift levers. Hopefully someone can chime in with real world experience about that though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just found that:

I wonder if the actuation is still good with the lever in this position. Maybe you actuate the lever downward with the side of the thumb. Is there a lot of resistence with the GD lever?

Braugh Bro.
    You can get Rh or Lh levers for GD posts.
    I've had one for about 8 months or so and have had zero problems. I have a LH lever, and am using the 5inch dual position one.

Keep on Rockin...
    GD is as bombproof as any dropper gets.

The Spec Blacklite is my favorite but gets sticky on the rise if too cold.

Never had a Reverb.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    My KS i950 was great this past winter in 10 degree weather. No issues once I started moving, either.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    You can buy a left sided switch arm and body from Gravity Dropper for $18. That is all you need to convert it from right to left.
    They are excellent posts and will work in any conditions. You can rebuild it yourself in 30 minutes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    For your information, I have the same problem with my Reverb and I plan to change the oil for an other one with a smaller viscosity. For nwo I just know that the oil used now is a 2.5WT.

I need to find a silicon oil with a neutral pH. It's just a matter of time before I solve the problem, I let you know.

EDR
    My KSi950r gets sticky in cold weather. I ride in Phoenix so by 'cold' weather I mean anything under 60 degrees, especially if it's rainy.

Once started Burro Down in Moab at +11k feet and ~45 degrees and rainy. My adjustable post was useless up there but by the time we were down in elevation and the temp was up into the 80's and dry it worked fine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    60F ??? You're kidding?!?!? sunday it was 50F and we ride until the ski begins for real... so... 27-28F

The pleasure of being canadian....

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Breaking news!!! I just bled my dropper with stock oil and it fixed the problem.

At the bikeshop, I heard that I wasn't the first to have this problem. Try it and keep me posted

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I have a reverb and KS Lev, and both have worked very well in temperatures around 28 F.
    Originally posted by bucksaw87
    I still fail to see how mustaches, fixies, and PBR are ironic.

Lord of the Chain Rings
    Seems now that it's low 30s, my KS Lev won't stay locked at the top position. Real pain in the butt.
    Uzzi

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by orastreet View Post
    Seems now that it's low 30s, my KS Lev won't stay locked at the top position. Real pain in the butt.
    have you been to the bikeshop? if not, stop whinning and GO!

mtbr member
    My KS eTen worked well today 23-28degree's during our ride. It did get a bit slower but is did work well still.
    13 Banshee Rune, Pushed Fox 36Float RC2, I9 Blunt35's

T1 barcode, pitchfork's, Hazard light's and profile's

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I have a GD, the nice thing is that is has a coil spring instead of compressed air. Air pressure drops as temps go down, so the air actuated posts(pretty much every other one out there) lose power for the rise, then the seals get stiff, the oil gets stiff and you are left with not much to go on.
    My command post was lacking in return rate around 10 F /-15c or so.
    The GD has two problems in cold weather.
    1 the boot gets stiff
    2 the grease internally gets more viscous, so it's harder to lock in the middle position, if you have that option.

Last night at -5F/-20c those were the only issues.

The lever is ok, not great but not horrible at all. Nice and long too, so easy to feel with thick gloves.

mtbr member
    My Lev worked but its movements were very sluggish during this weekends ride (-8c)

It did not have any problems with locking out though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast