mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Downhill bike or all mountain?

I was wondering opinions on specialized enduro pro evo. Right now I'm riding a kona king kikapu. But more I ride more jumps drops ect I'm doing. I race MX so pretty much my nature. Any way want a bike that will put up with a lot of abuse I don't really care about weight. 5 grand for a bike just seems like a lot. Any way thanks
    Last edited by Jeffinater224; 04-03-2013 at 10:33 PM.

mtbr member
    I wouldnt buy a Next Bike. They're shitty Walmart bikes
    6'5" 230lbs
    My Build: Vitalmtb - Bike Check

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Lol maybe I should change the title to what bike to buy next. I would just buy a downhill bike. But couldn't really do trails and such with that could you? Living in Nebraska not a whole lot of ski lifts :P

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Test ride. Some bikes dont climb and put damper on the bicycle end of things. My understanding is the evo is one of the beefiest that still considered somthing you can peddle uphill. Im sure u can break anything if you try hard enough. How big do you wanna go.

Let the good times roll.
    No need to spend that much, especially if you aren't sure what you want. Browse the classifieds here, Pinkbike, and other bike forums for a 160-170mm bike in good condition. Then if you don't like it, sell it for a modest loss.

It's hard to recommend a specific bike without knowing your trails and riding style. The Enduro is very versatile, but you may be better off with a light FR bike (e.g. SX Trail, Trek Scratch) if you really want to go big.

If you really want new, I suggest looking at the Titus El Guapo. Same class of bike as the Enduro at a much lower price.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks for the input. i'll look into those bikes. where i live there are no free ride parks and such. pretty much some bluffs with a few 3 or 4 foot drops and a couple little down hill jumps. going down them i on my xc country bike feels like its going to break. seeing as it's not made for that not really a surprise. biggest thing is you have to climb to the top every time. so basically if a 150 160 will put up with a few drops aand little jumps that would fit the bill perfect. thanks for the advice i just started mtb few months ago and have no experience

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I would also look at 650b bikes. It seems like this wheel size is the next big thing for trail/all mountain bikes. One I would recommend is the new Santa Cruz Bronson. I think you will be able to build one for around 3.5k, maybe a little cheaper.

mtbr member
    You want an old school freeride bike... overbuilt for down hill but can still be ridden around. Heavy cheap not your best friend on the climbs but givea up nothing on the down hills great for jumping and crashing

Quiet Professional
    You could check out a giant reign x, giant faith, Knolly Chilcotin, Pivot Firebird, Santa Cruz nomad should be able to handle that. I would look for a used 150 to 170mm bike as you dont have any lift access. All the bikes listed above pedal really well but can handle a lot of abuse.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    5 grand isn't a lot
    when spending on bicycles

but get a trail bike
    and huck it

mtbr member
    if youre only doing 3-4' drops/jumps, an all mountain bike will be fine. for bigger stuff, id look into a freeride bike

id check out the Nomad.. Santa Cruz Bicycles HOME
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    3-4 feet, you can ride something like the stumpy. You could also get an enduro that's a few years old, or another 6" AM bike.
    Just another redneck with a bike

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Normally, if you have to ask, get an am bike.

mtbr member
    I ride a '13 Special-Ed Enduro Evo for XC/AM and plan on using it for DH/Freeride lift runs also.

This Next bike from Walmart rips it on the DH's and I can also peddle to earn my turn.

Not sure what a Enduro Pro is. For 2013 the models available are the Enduro Comp and Enduro Expert. You can get either in the EVO frame. Then there are the Carbon versions as well as a 29er version.

Being in AZ keeps my trail options to pretty much XC, but I also travel to Angel Fire NM and CO for lift assist runs.

So I train for the lift stuff on the XC stuff. Northern AZ also has some shuttle runs for conditioning/skills maintenance, but not near the quality or length of the lift assist resorts.

This bike fits my needs and I am happy with it. Will be even better when I upgrade the less than stellar suspension setup. But I cant complain too much, the bike goes just fine and out riding the bikes setup probably isnt going to happen for most folks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks for the replies! I've been researching a lot on these diff bikes and learned a lot. If I ever get me street bike sold probably going to go with a used medium trail sx2 or enduro, maybe an 08 if a 150 mm travelwould be enough. Or a new enduro evo not the expert. Mainly we have fast xc trails with some rough dh sections and little jumps. A freeriding bike would probably be overkill
    Last edited by Jeffinater224; 04-07-2013 at 11:14 AM.