mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Down to a few picks

I have an older early 90's Cannondale Delta V 1000 front suspension hardtail that I want to replace with a full suspension bike.

I am 5'11" at about 190 lbs.
    I am in good shape physically and cardiovascularly

I ride in the deserts and mountains of UT. Riding consists of trails strewn with gravel to stones to rocks jutting out of the ground, with ruts, wash outs and wash board. These are hit on the way up and again on the way down.

A lot of climbing with an equal number of downs. I do like to pick up the speed on the downs sometimes, within reason. At 49 one does look at his own mortality different than a 29 year old.

My past bike rides have been anywhere from one to three hours in duration. Of course with a better bike they will probably become longer.

My top price point is 3K

My top pics are:

Cannondale Rize 3 ($2700?) or Rize 4 ($2300)
    68.5 deg HA
    F travel Rize 3 130 mm Rize 4 140 mm
    R travel ?

Giant Reign 1 ($2900)
    68 deg HA
    F travel 140 mm
    R travel 6"

Giant Trance X 2 ($2800)
    69.5 deg HA
    F travel 120 mm
    R travel 5"

Rocky Mountain Slayer 50 ($3200) a bit higher than I want to spend
    68 deg HA
    F travel 160 mm
    R travel ?

----------

In talking with the bike shop about the Giants, he recommended the Trance over the Reign citing the Trance is 50 % ascending 50 % descending, the Reign is 40 % asending 60 % descending.

In talking with the bike shop about the Cannondales, I said that I really did not like the look of the Lefty "fork", It looks funky and I think it would be annoying visually while riding. I am also concerned that the front hub would not be double sheared like on a normal fork. He said it is an awesome shock. From what I have read here and elsewhwere, most who have ridden with them love them.

----------

I have beaten my older Cannondale hard over the years and I can attest to the durability and longevity of the Cannondale frame and major components. That being said, I am not going to get hung up with "brand loyalty" if a better value for the money can be had.

----------

Any opinions, feedback, pros and cons of each pick?

Thanks.
    Last edited by UTmntnbkr; 10-29-2008 at 08:41 AM.

Dirt Deviant
    Toss up between the Giants.
    I'd sit down and think really hard about what type of riding you see yourself doing, then go out and test ride the hell out of both of them and get whichever one feels best.
    Thats really the only way to know which bike is best for you.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    From what you describe Im with Savagemann. Trance sounds like a great step up for what you want to do.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I got to look at and test ride the Trance X2 and the Rize this weekend, took them both around the parking lot, around the block, and going up and down a few curbs.

Both bikes the large seems to be the best fit. Both bikes I felt comfortable.

The X2 was a large, the Rize 3 was a medium, the Rize 5 was a large. When the dealer gets a large Rize 3 in he will call me and let me test that one since the Rize 3 is my bike of choice in the Rize series.

Both bikes have the same rear shock, the Fox Float RP2, both have propedal.

The Rize does have a bit more rear travel.

The X2 does have shifters that I am more familiar with, thumb and finger.

The Rize 3 has thumb shifters.

The X2 front shock is the Fox F120 RL, 120 mm.

The Rize 3 front shock is the Lefty Max w/PBR, 130 mm.
    The Lefty is a modern reconfigured Head shock.

The Rize 3 has a bit more front travel.

The X2 has their Maestro rear susp design.

The Rize 3 has their modified single pivot rear susp design.

The Rize 3 design seems less complicated.

Aesthetically the Rize looks better.

Bottom line:

I have 17 years experience with my older Cannondale Delta V 1000 and the original Head shock. Only one blown seal on the shock and one actual breakage of the shock, and also not one crack in the frame or any frame warpage.

With that track record I will purchase the Rize 3 over the Giant Trance X, a few hundred dollars more for peace of mind and American Cannondale craftsmanship.