Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

DOSS vs. LEV vs. Reverb

There is SO much info on each of these posts in their own specific threads, but I'm wondering if anyone has used either two or all three of these posts and can make a comparison. My experience is limited - I got a used Reverb off of craigslist which had some sag from the top position once I sat down on it. I got about 5 rides on it and loved its functionality, and can't see using a regular post, but the sag issue is bothering me. There are some good deals to be had on posts this weekend, and I'm seeking opinions...

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Check the pressure in the reverb. It should be 250 psi if I remember right. I have had this issue before with mine and this fixed it. Take the post out and the schraeder valve is on the bottom of the post.
    And IMO the reverb is currently the best on the market...and I say this with having 3 fail under warranty. None of them have great reliability. I hope Thompson did their homework and has a post that will be reliable when it releases..and that my current reverb lasts until then.

mtbr member
    Sag is not normal on the reverb. If you are interested in getting a deal, fixing what you already have is probably going to be cheaper than getting something new.
    Then again, every post on the market has some issues.

mtbr member
    When I checked air pressure, it was up around 270. The guy who I bought it from was a clyde - I'm thinking he raised the pressure to compensate for this problem. I have this service kit on the way to see if I can fix it cheap:

Rock Shox Reverb Seatpost Basic Service Kit from BikeBling.com

If it doesn't fix it, I'm thinking I can still sell it for how much I paid for it - $120 - but with full disclosure on my end. A bit frustrated that he didn't tell me.

Another reason I'd like to get a new post is for warranty coverage. If I can't fix this one, I'll have to buy eventually anyway...

Stand back
    Have you bled it yet?
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Haven't used the Fox, but reviews haven't been great and I have no need of a "mid" position. My buddy has a Reverb and it's nice. I've had three or four different KS posts and all have been superb. I love the small remote that doubles as an inner grip lock. I haven't had issues with any of my KS posts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser View Post
    Have you bled it yet?
    Yep.

What are the differences between the Dropzone, Supernatural, and LEV?
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

dog
    sit! stay!
    what about the "new" gravity dropper turbo LP? they seem to have addressed some of the issues (like the bolting instead of bonding the activator thingy)...

Also, other than the complaints about the large lever on the DOSS, what else are folks not liking? they just dropped the price on it as well i gather.
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

mtbr member
    I'm usually a function over form kind of guy, but the big accordion boot on the Gravity Dropper posts are so damn ugly. Just a preference thing...

mtbr member
    So far, the KS Lev & Gravity Dropper appear to be the most reliable. I personally like the looks and function of the Lev.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Was surprised MTBR didn't put Lev on their "best mountain bike gift ideas" (see this link), especially since they had another in the same price range. I've only ever used a Lev so can't give a comparison to others but can say I've not had any problems and been really happy with the way it works.

mtbr member
    I have a Reverb and a LEV, both are 125mm. REverb is about 1 year old and I have had the LEV for 6 months.
    They both have performed very nicely, but if I was going to buy one now, it would be a LEV. I just like its lever much better. I am also a light rider and the reverb needs an extra push to go down, doesn't engage while just sitting on it.
    LEV doesn't need the butt hop, it goes when the lever is pressed.
    And another plus would be the LEV's non moving cable...
    But the Reverb can be found cheaper...
    Well I would still go for the LEV if I were you.
    No experience with the DOSS here...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Have been running a gravity dropper and just got a Lev. The GD was extremely reliable and I've been very happy with it. The Lev, however, takes functionality and finish to new levels for dropper posts. Finally feels like a post that works as well as the other high end components on my bike.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    I have a Reverb and a LEV, both are 125mm. REverb is about 1 year old and I have had the LEV for 6 months.
    They both have performed very nicely, but if I was going to buy one now, it would be a LEV. I just like its lever much better. I am also a light rider and the reverb needs an extra push to go down, doesn't engage while just sitting on it.
    LEV doesn't need the butt hop, it goes when the lever is pressed.
    And another plus would be the LEV's non moving cable...
    But the Reverb can be found cheaper...
    Well I would still go for the LEV if I were you.
    No experience with the DOSS here...
    The Reverb should not require the extra push. You've got one that needs to go in for service. I have 4 Reverbs at the moment and have run into this exact problem on one. Just an FYI because I'm with you, having to butt hop is super irritating. And yeah, my other Reverbs go down while seated with just the push of the button.

To the OP - Is your Reverb the silver collar version? The "sag" when sitting on it is related to seals failure. This was quite common on the early Reverbs as the walls of the tubes are often not consistent. A full rebuilt will fix it for a while but the sag will typically come back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Err View Post
    The Reverb should not require the extra push. You've got one that needs to go in for service. I have 4 Reverbs at the moment and have run into this exact problem on one. Just an FYI because I'm with you, having to butt hop is super irritating. And yeah, my other Reverbs go down while seated with just the push of the button.

To the OP - Is your Reverb the silver collar version? The "sag" when sitting on it is related to seals failure. This was quite common on the early Reverbs as the walls of the tubes are often not consistent. A full rebuilt will fix it for a while but the sag will typically come back.
    Yeah - silver collar here.

I'm leaning towards the Lev for its cable cleanliness and cable actuation. I don't want to have to deal with bleeding, and the performance, from all I've read, seems pretty comparable.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It really depends on what's important to you. There is currently no perfect post on the market. Some features to choose from:

- Cable mounted at post base vs post head
    - Mechanical actuation: easy to move between bikes, don't need to mess with bleeding
    - Hydraulic actuation: smooth action, no need to maintain cables
    - Mechanical locking mechanism: if the spring ever blows you can set the post to any position manually and ride out. Allows having a trail setting
    - Hydraulic locking mechanism: allows infinite adjustability (Kronolog is the only mech post that allows this)
    - Lever: totally subjective. How ergonomic is it, how durable?
    - Reliability: how good is the track record?
    - Customer support: these thing are notoriously temperamental, how easy is the manufacturer to work with?

mtbr member
    I thought the LEV had infinite adjustability.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It does. The Lev uses a hydraulic locking mechanism and mechanical actuation.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I love my DOSS. I had a Reverb, but broke it. My DOSS really feels sturdy. The sound if it hitting it's desired height just sounds like it's made to last. I've read complaints about the lever. I think it looks fine (once you get used to it) and it works great. You don't need the second lever but it does help in the right situation. I've also read complaints about the lever being hard to actuate. If you just slightly unweight the seat it's super easy to push. I never worry about it, It's really not ever very hard to push (even the inner black lever). Whenever I read those comments, I can't help but think people just like to complain. I mean, we're riding mountain bikes! An inherently difficult sport. So what if you have to push a little harder on the lever. It's the last thing I think about when I go for it in "panic" situations. Usually at that time my mind has much more important things to think about. The size of the lever is great when you need to hit it in a hurry. Kinda hard to miss! I love the cable actuation. It makes cable routing and trimming a snap. The hose on the Reverb really sucks for the same reason. I am very curious about the Thompson, but I'll wait to hear how it performs first...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by scvkurt03 View Post

I'm leaning towards the Lev for its cable cleanliness and cable actuation. I don't want to have to deal with bleeding, and the performance, from all I've read, seems pretty comparable.
    Get the Reverb with the black one. or have your Reverb updated - I think you can get the updated parts/bits from your LBS.

I use a reverb - really happy with it. I had that sag problem but I just bled the thing and it went back to normal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scvkurt03 View Post

Have your LBS call Rockshox, they will probably warranty it. I was in the same boat as you, bought it used then developed the sag problem after about 6 months. I took into my shop to have it sent back and repaired, which I was planning on paying for. When the shop called Rockshox they gave them the serial number off of the post, and RS said no problem we will put a new one in the mail tomorrow. The new one works much better than the old one ever did.
    Last edited by denjen; 11-25-2012 at 03:09 PM.

Perpetual Hack
    Quote Originally Posted by denjen View Post
    Have your LBS call Rockshox, they will probably warranty it. I was in the same boat as you, bought it used then developed the sag problem after about 6 months. I took into my shop to have it sent back and repaired, which I was planning on paying for. When the shop called Rockshox they gave them the serial number off of the post, and RS said no problem we will put a now one in the mail tomorrow. The now one works much better than the old one ever did.

Interesting bit of info there - filed for just in case. Thank you.
    I have a silver collared Reverb - Very early version - as in early first batch.
    So far it has been good. I have had a couple of crashes, one bent the hose barb at the remote, the other pulled the hose clean off. A new hose and barb, and a thorough bleed and we are good to go yet again.

Keeping fingers crossed that I didn't jus put teh evil eye on meself....

michael
    A Dirtbag since 1969.
    A Knomer since 2007.

Knolly Podium V.2
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Delirium-T
    RM Slayer . . .

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    + 1 on having the psi checked. But yea, I would stay with Reverb

think
    Jul 2008
    I have a DOSS. It's been working very well and I personally find the large lever easy to use under duress. Mine is only about three months old but function has been flawless thus far. After trouble with my own reverb and seeing them give others hassle, the DOSS is the only post I would consider if for some reason I was against buying another Gravity Dropper. I still believe the Gravity Dropper is the post to beat in terms of value and durability. Run it without the boot if you need to keep things stylish.

mtbr member
    I'va had the chance to run the Reverb for about a year and loved it, reliable and only bleeded it when new. Only had developed a little play.

But then tried the LEV and won't go back. LEV is so smooth and rock solid, the mechanical cable is much easier than the Reverb and lighter if I can recall, plus the actuator is crazy ergonomic. Beware I've been using the LEV for about 2 months and long term results are still to come.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast