mtbr member
    Apr 2010

does 1.5 degrees head tube angle make big difference

i have a jamis xam ll it has a 68.5 head tube angle,
    and looking for something with more slack...

carbon nomad has 67
    and foes bike rs7 has 66

but does the foes rs7 pedal good,

this is a do it all bike.... will the 67 nomad make that much difference?
    Last edited by bhigdon101; 11-19-2010 at 02:26 PM.

usually cranky
    hard to say for me. i changed ha about 1 degree steeper on my current ride and dont really notice much of a difference.

mtbr member
    yes! forks for that cheaper for 30%
    I'm from Ukraine, Kiev
    I'm graphics and web designer
    Follow me on Behance

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by d.n.s
    yes! forks for that cheaper for 30%
    Yeah, what he said!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Put a 650 B front wheel and tall 650B tire and you will be there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I con't figure out the above post about forks being cheaper. Might be referring to some of the bargains on 1.5 steer tube forks lately???

I can feel a significant difference in my bike's handling when dialing down the fork even 25mm. I think what you will find is that it isn't just the HTA change that you will notice. The HTA coupled with the STA is the key. Changing HTA with the same STA will feel different than changing both, ala new bike. Only way to find out for YOU is to ride them.

mtbr member

Agree

Quote Originally Posted by mnigro
    I ... it isn't just the HTA change that you will notice. The HTA coupled with the STA is the key. Changing HTA with the same STA will feel different than changing both, ala new bike. .
    I think this is really the most crucial factor, HTA in relation to the STA.

Slacken the HTA but steepen the STA to get back into a more climb friendly geom.
    Problem is that the this combo of slack HTA and steep STA tends to shorten the reach
    and makes bike feels smaller forcing rider into a more upright position as well. Some may like it though.

Let the good times roll.
    It is a noticeable difference, but only if everything else stays the same. It's not practical to compare 2 bikes just on head angle. There are so many other factors like wheelbase, BB height, chainstay length, suspension setup, and so on. Just as examples, the Diamondback Sortie is listed as having a HA of 70, but it feels more stable and planted than many bikes I've ridden with 69-68 angles. On the other side of the spectrum, the Specialized Enduro climbs a whole lot better than any bike with a 66.5 HA ought to.

I don't know much about the Foes, but the RS7 is listed as being a DH race frame. That's usually a red flag if you're shopping for an all mountain bike. The FXR is probably a better comparison for the Nomad. I may be wrong though. Like I said, I don't know much abour the RS7 beyond the description. Some DH frames actually make decent heavy duty AM rigs (emphasis on heavy duty).

If you want a slack and low AM bike, I'd recommend the Specialized Enduro and Trek Scratch (in the slack setting). I've ridden both, and they really rip on the trail. Especially the Enduro. The steep seat angle helps with climbing, and the slack HA helps with descending. It's a really sweet combination. I'm sure the Nomad is quite nice also, but I haven't ridden one yet. And of course there's the Diamondback Mission. Mine handles like a dream.