10 9.90%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

do you use a masterlink or a chain cutter

do you use a masterlink or a chain cutter
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Both, can't reply to your poll since it makes me choose.
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

mtbr member
    Both too, some chains are Shimano some SRAM.

Picture Unrelated
    You need a chain tool to install a new chain no matter if you use a master (quick) link or not. That means both for everyone!
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail6 View Post
    Both too, some chains are Shimano some SRAM.
    You can use a SRAM (or KMC, Konex etc) link in a Shimano chain, makes life a little easier.

mtbr member
    I prefer masterlinks (sram ftw) but I have a chain tool just in case of a chain break or I decide to do something stupid with my chain...
    Buy a f-ing bike maybe you wouldn't be fat

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    You need a chain tool to install a new chain no matter if you use a master (quick) link or not. That means both for everyone!
    its not both for everyone if you dont use a master link
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by nauc View Post
    its not both for everyone if you dont use a master link
    Well played, sir or madam.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

namagomi
    Ugh.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Well I was in the boat of buying a chain tool just to put on a master link. So both...but only once.

Michigan Wolverine
    I usually just go without the masterlink. Its the way my dad always did it when I was younger so I just stuck with that. I guess it feels more "secure" without one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post
    You can use a SRAM (or KMC, Konex etc) link in a Shimano chain, makes life a little easier.
    Thanks for the tip!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Master links can be used only on non-derailleur drivetrains.

"Quick" links are a different matter.

mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

workin' it Administrator
    Chaintools vs masterlinks: in the older days chain face plates were flat pieces of steel with holes in them, a pin was shoved through the hole and was held in because its OD was slightly larger than the holes ID. As chains evolved to match the width required for increased cassette speed numbers the chains pins began to become riveted. That is where the ID and the OD where still dissimilar but the end of the pin was flared after installation to keep the pin in and resist the bending the chain has when shifting and cross chaining etc. If you press out a flared pin it opens up the hole some and you no longer have an interference fit on the opposing side. When you reinstall that pin you have a weaker side to the pins connection and thus the chain.

This is why shimano and SRAM invented 2 means of working with chains. It keeps you from having the problem where you have a potentially weak link in your chain. In SRAM's case you remove the outer plates and connect the bearing links together, in shimano each time you break the chain you use a new pin that is designed to lock into the chain.

In the field of course you can stitch together a broken chain with a chain tool and it will get you back home no problem but it is a weakened chain and you should pull it apart at that junction as soon as you can and get the appropriate joiner in there. Since the quick links are cheap and reusable you should really just keep a few in your bag for broken chain situations.

Running a current chain on a geared drive train without the proper joining method is just a recipe for a broken chain under power and a lot of pain.
    Try this: HTFU

LightJunction.com
    SRAM Powerlinks. I love the convenience of being able to remove my chain for cleaning without buying replacement pins.
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Good catch - I assumed the OP was refering to a "quick link". And I call myself a scientist.
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lightjunction View Post
    SRAM Powerlinks. I love the convenience of being able to remove my chain for cleaning without buying replacement pins.
    Wippermann Connex links - being able to remove your chain by hand for cleaning without buying replacement pins.

SRAM links always get tight after grit gets into the link and require plyers to brake free.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Wippermann connex link skipped like a school girl in the 11t cog when under power.
    I went back to Sram quick link on my Shimano chain.
    My bikes, Slayer 70 and Switch 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike H. View Post
    Wippermann connex link skipped like a school girl in the 11t cog when under power.
    I went back to Sram quick link on my Shimano chain.
    They're finicky about which direction they run.

If you look at the bottom run of the chain, the cutout should form a /\ or a letter A if it is oriented properly. Otherwise they will skip on an 11T cog.

I go out of my way to buy separate Connex links to keep on my chains and throw the spare KMC/SRAM quicklinks in my camelbak/commuter bag.

ban
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    is there any quick link that works with a 10spd SRAM chain??

mtbr member
    or 10 spd dynasys Shimano?
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by debaucherous View Post
    Good catch - I assumed the OP was refering to a "quick link". And I call myself a scientist.
    i was talking about one of these. can you not use these with multispeeds? i used to use them on my BMX bike

2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    Chaintools vs masterlinks: in the older days chain face plates were flat pieces of steel with holes in them, a pin was shoved through the hole and was held in because its OD was slightly larger than the holes ID. As chains evolved to match the width required for increased cassette speed numbers the chains pins began to become riveted. That is where the ID and the OD where still dissimilar but the end of the pin was flared after installation to keep the pin in and resist the bending the chain has when shifting and cross chaining etc. If you press out a flared pin it opens up the hole some and you no longer have an interference fit on the opposing side. When you reinstall that pin you have a weaker side to the pins connection and thus the chain.

This is why shimano and SRAM invented 2 means of working with chains. It keeps you from having the problem where you have a potentially weak link in your chain. In SRAM's case you remove the outer plates and connect the bearing links together, in shimano each time you break the chain you use a new pin that is designed to lock into the chain.

In the field of course you can stitch together a broken chain with a chain tool and it will get you back home no problem but it is a weakened chain and you should pull it apart at that junction as soon as you can and get the appropriate joiner in there. Since the quick links are cheap and reusable you should really just keep a few in your bag for broken chain situations.

Running a current chain on a geared drive train without the proper joining method is just a recipe for a broken chain under power and a lot of pain.
    so youre talking this

vs this, chain wise, not Sram tech vs Shimano tech

what does the Sram connect tech look like. i think my chain is like the second pic but there is a one flat pin like in the first pic

thanks
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by nauc View Post
    i was talking about one of these. can you not use these with multispeeds? i used to use them on my BMX bike

No, as I posted earlier, a master link can not be used with a derailleur drivetrain. You need to use a quick/power link.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Dirt is Fun
    Apr 2011
    Yeah if you're running 10spd doesn't matter..are no master links anymore...so guess your poll is obsolete.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast