• 02-13-2012
    nauc
    do you use a masterlink or a chain cutter
    do you use a masterlink or a chain cutter
  • 02-13-2012
    debaucherous
    Both, can't reply to your poll since it makes me choose.
  • 02-13-2012
    Wishful Tomcat
    Both too, some chains are Shimano some SRAM.
  • 02-13-2012
    zebrahum
    You need a chain tool to install a new chain no matter if you use a master (quick) link or not. That means both for everyone!
  • 02-13-2012
    Fix the Spade
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Trail6 View Post
    Both too, some chains are Shimano some SRAM.

You can use a SRAM (or KMC, Konex etc) link in a Shimano chain, makes life a little easier.
  • 02-13-2012
    unknown-rider
    I prefer masterlinks (sram ftw) but I have a chain tool just in case of a chain break or I decide to do something stupid with my chain...
  • 02-13-2012
    nauc
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    You need a chain tool to install a new chain no matter if you use a master (quick) link or not. That means both for everyone!

its not both for everyone if you dont use a master link :p
  • 02-13-2012
    zebrahum
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nauc View Post
    its not both for everyone if you dont use a master link :p

Well played, sir or madam.
  • 02-13-2012
    electrik
    Ugh.
  • 02-13-2012
    R3demption
    Well I was in the boat of buying a chain tool just to put on a master link. So both...but only once.
  • 02-13-2012
    RaptorTC
    I usually just go without the masterlink. Its the way my dad always did it when I was younger so I just stuck with that. I guess it feels more "secure" without one.
  • 02-14-2012
    Wishful Tomcat
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post
    You can use a SRAM (or KMC, Konex etc) link in a Shimano chain, makes life a little easier.

Thanks for the tip!
  • 02-14-2012
    shiggy
    Master links can be used only on non-derailleur drivetrains.

"Quick" links are a different matter.

• 02-14-2012
    rockcrusher
    Chaintools vs masterlinks: in the older days chain face plates were flat pieces of steel with holes in them, a pin was shoved through the hole and was held in because its OD was slightly larger than the holes ID. As chains evolved to match the width required for increased cassette speed numbers the chains pins began to become riveted. That is where the ID and the OD where still dissimilar but the end of the pin was flared after installation to keep the pin in and resist the bending the chain has when shifting and cross chaining etc. If you press out a flared pin it opens up the hole some and you no longer have an interference fit on the opposing side. When you reinstall that pin you have a weaker side to the pins connection and thus the chain.

This is why shimano and SRAM invented 2 means of working with chains. It keeps you from having the problem where you have a potentially weak link in your chain. In SRAM's case you remove the outer plates and connect the bearing links together, in shimano each time you break the chain you use a new pin that is designed to lock into the chain.

In the field of course you can stitch together a broken chain with a chain tool and it will get you back home no problem but it is a weakened chain and you should pull it apart at that junction as soon as you can and get the appropriate joiner in there. Since the quick links are cheap and reusable you should really just keep a few in your bag for broken chain situations.

Running a current chain on a geared drive train without the proper joining method is just a recipe for a broken chain under power and a lot of pain.
  • 02-14-2012
    lightjunction
    SRAM Powerlinks. I love the convenience of being able to remove my chain for cleaning without buying replacement pins.
  • 02-14-2012
    debaucherous
    Good catch - I assumed the OP was refering to a "quick link". And I call myself a scientist. :madman:
  • 02-14-2012
    GTscoob
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lightjunction View Post
    SRAM Powerlinks. I love the convenience of being able to remove my chain for cleaning without buying replacement pins.

Wippermann Connex links - being able to remove your chain by hand for cleaning without buying replacement pins.

SRAM links always get tight after grit gets into the link and require plyers to brake free.
  • 02-14-2012
    Mike H.
    Wippermann connex link skipped like a school girl in the 11t cog when under power.
    I went back to Sram quick link on my Shimano chain.
  • 02-14-2012
    GTscoob
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike H. View Post
    Wippermann connex link skipped like a school girl in the 11t cog when under power.
    I went back to Sram quick link on my Shimano chain.

They're finicky about which direction they run.

If you look at the bottom run of the chain, the cutout should form a /\ or a letter A if it is oriented properly. Otherwise they will skip on an 11T cog.

I go out of my way to buy separate Connex links to keep on my chains and throw the spare KMC/SRAM quicklinks in my camelbak/commuter bag.
  • 02-14-2012
    ban
    is there any quick link that works with a 10spd SRAM chain??
  • 02-14-2012
    Pauldotcom
    or 10 spd dynasys Shimano?
  • 02-14-2012
    nauc
    Quote:

Originally Posted by debaucherous View Post
    Good catch - I assumed the OP was refering to a "quick link". And I call myself a scientist. :madman:

i was talking about one of these. can you not use these with multispeeds? i used to use them on my BMX bike

• 02-14-2012
    nauc
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    Chaintools vs masterlinks: in the older days chain face plates were flat pieces of steel with holes in them, a pin was shoved through the hole and was held in because its OD was slightly larger than the holes ID. As chains evolved to match the width required for increased cassette speed numbers the chains pins began to become riveted. That is where the ID and the OD where still dissimilar but the end of the pin was flared after installation to keep the pin in and resist the bending the chain has when shifting and cross chaining etc. If you press out a flared pin it opens up the hole some and you no longer have an interference fit on the opposing side. When you reinstall that pin you have a weaker side to the pins connection and thus the chain.

This is why shimano and SRAM invented 2 means of working with chains. It keeps you from having the problem where you have a potentially weak link in your chain. In SRAM's case you remove the outer plates and connect the bearing links together, in shimano each time you break the chain you use a new pin that is designed to lock into the chain.

In the field of course you can stitch together a broken chain with a chain tool and it will get you back home no problem but it is a weakened chain and you should pull it apart at that junction as soon as you can and get the appropriate joiner in there. Since the quick links are cheap and reusable you should really just keep a few in your bag for broken chain situations.

Running a current chain on a geared drive train without the proper joining method is just a recipe for a broken chain under power and a lot of pain.

so youre talking this

vs this, chain wise, not Sram tech vs Shimano tech

what does the Sram connect tech look like. i think my chain is like the second pic but there is a one flat pin like in the first pic

thanks
  • 02-16-2012
    shiggy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nauc View Post
    i was talking about one of these. can you not use these with multispeeds? i used to use them on my BMX bike

No, as I posted earlier, a master link can not be used with a derailleur drivetrain. You need to use a quick/power link.
  • 02-16-2012
    dirtyknobbies
    Yeah if you're running 10spd doesn't matter..are no master links anymore...so guess your poll is obsolete.
  • 02-16-2012
    shiggy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtyknobbies View Post
    Yeah if you're running 10spd doesn't matter..are no master links anymore...so guess your poll is obsolete.

You are still using the wrong term, and there are quick connect links for 10-speed chains, though some are not suppose to be reused.
  • 02-17-2012
    nauc
    is there any other kind of quick connects besides these, and the ones found on single speeds

• 02-17-2012
    Haus Boss
    My fingers hurt just thinking about a masterlink- I hate those things.
  • 10-03-2012
    aressiont27
    masterlink
    i guess it actually depends upon the use. A master link or quick-release link is a bicycle chain accessory that allows convenient removal and reconnection of an installed bicycle chain without the need for a chain tool.

.................................................. .............
  • 10-03-2012
    bear
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ban View Post
    is there any quick link that works with a 10spd SRAM chain??

The PowerLock connector that comes with the sram 10spd chains is reusable...I know sram doesn't say it is, but you can reopen it with a pair of pliers, it's just not as hand-friendly as the 9 spd version.

I plan on using one on the next shimano chain I use.
  • 10-03-2012
    dwt
    Highly recommend IRD Snaplink. Works with Shimano, SRAM, KMC 10 speed. 9 speed version also available. Smooth and easy on and off, without tools. Cleaning lubing dirty link with WD40 recommended prior to removal

http://store.interlocracing.com/10snli.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 10-03-2012
    Wombat
    And I found that if you (mistakenly) mix half a 9 and half an 8 speed SRAM connector they still work very well on an 9 speed chain.

Tim
  • 10-04-2012
    rtsideup
    As a youngster pro bike mechanic, and as a result; broke, I would save the left over links from new chain installs. Late at night my bong and I would stitch these bits-and-pieces into whole chains for my own bike. Never broke one, never paid for one.:thumbsup:
  • 11-23-2012
    brianrey
    well, like most i use a masterlink more often and also keeps a chain cutter in case of some urgent use.
  • 11-24-2012
    playdead
    both, but if i had to go with one I would go with the chain tool.
  • 11-25-2012
    Milagros49
    Yes I always use Chain Cutter.