mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Do you regularly service rockshox?

i am tuning up my new 9 yr old FS bike and noticed the psylo race rockshox are serviceable. The LBS said they are in good shape and functioning properly but i'm wondering if i should tear them down, clean and service or just wait until i have a problem or it becomes necessary. They are 9 yrs old and have 1200 light to med duty miles on them or perhaps 75 hrs. Don't really want to make a project if unecessary and wondered if most of you serviced the shox or maybe yours are always too new.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I service my shocks every year. The amount of use will determine the type of servicing. Even my spare bike get's it shock serviced and it might only get a couple of hundred miles on it each year. I have Reba's and they are pretty easy to service. Not sure how easy/difficult the servicing for the Psylo is but I would definitely look into doing at least a minimal service like changing the oil and maybe even the seals/wipers.

Proudly: A Mexican Rider
    Yes, you should definitely service them.

Here is a link to the manuals. Choose your model:
    Service Resources - RockShox | SRAM

For an excellent new oil ask a motorbike shop for Maxima racing fork oil!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Am i likely to need to order a rebuild kit with new seals and o rings or most likely if the system is working fine, just clean and add new oil? Do i need special grease or is any petroleum based grease ok for o rings and then the fork oil?

mtbr member
    My first full suspension bike had a RS Psylo. That fork took some serious abuse.

I would just order the new seal kit and give it a quick service, especially if it's never been done. Use a little of the Rock Shox oil to lube up the seals and o-rings during reassembly. New seals and oil are the cheapest insurance for any shock or fork.

During the year, between services, I just take a damp cloth and wipe the stanchions down. Then I use Buzz's Slick Honey if things look a little dry. You don't need to use anything "special" per se, but I would stay away from anything industrial. Use lighter bike specific lube, a 4oz tube will last all year.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by tealboy1 View Post
    1200 light to med duty miles on them or perhaps 75 hrs.
    16mph average? That's some spirited riding.

Do service it. At least pull the lowers regularly, and lube foam rings if you have'em. Just soak in some 15wt suspension fluid or so.

Proudly: A Mexican Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by tealboy1 View Post
    Am i likely to need to order a rebuild kit with new seals and o rings or most likely if the system is working fine, just clean and add new oil? Do i need special grease or is any petroleum based grease ok for o rings and then the fork oil?
    Get the rebuild kit.
    Just use the 15wt oil to lube the seals