Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Do you have more bike than you need?

I know I do. My pitch pro can handle a lot more than I can dish out. I basically just ride xc, no real jumping or DH. I am basically riding stuff I would have done on my rigid trek 800when I was riding at 14 in 1994. I like riding an AM bike though just because I got that extra cushion if I need it, plus it does make the descents/log piles more enjoyable. When it is time to get a new bike, I will probably get another AM bike even though I know that I wont push its limits. So, do you have too much bike or are you really pushing the limits of the one you got?????

usually cranky
    i think i have a little too much bike in my xam. i think a trance or xtc would be perfectly adiquit. but in the same vein i could ride a rigid but it would beat me up a lot. you dont really need the suspension it just makes it nicer.

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    My bike(s) can definitely take more than I can throw at them. But I don't believe I have more bike than I need.

My riding would take a huge step backwards in enjoyment if I was to drop back to an XC bike for my trail bike but my Mojo (heavily) built can definitely do a lot more than I am asking it to do (i.e. I am not a pinch on the likes of Brian Lopes levels of skill).

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Riding is all about the amount of fun you are having. So as long as you're enjoying it, who cares if you have too much bike? Doesn't matter, just ride the thing.

IdontShootPeopleAnyMore
    I can tell you that I prefer to have more bike than I need rather than not have enough...

Worst case scenario with too much bike: "oh no, I have too much bike..." (rides on)

Worst case scenario with not enough bike: "he died doing what he loved..." (said at funeral)
    What mountain bike forum do pirates use? .....

MTB-arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

gravity fighter
    My Trance is like warm porridge, just right. I doubt I'll ever need the full travel (unless I hit something by surprise) but it's nice to have just in case.

wuss
    I probably do, but it's a conscious decision. I hate having to fear for any components breaking, and hope to be riding bigger in the future. My current bike which is "too much" has already made me up the par significantly, and I hope it will continue to do so.

I also hope to get to ride more places where it's not too much bike this coming summer.

Toadfather
    Aug 2010
    I typicaly use 5 inches of travel regularly and my bike has 6.5. I like having the extra though because I plan on hitting parks this summer. But yeah, I think I could easily make due on a 5 Spot with a 150mm fork instead of an RFX with a 160mm fork.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    well, i debate on my parker. its supposed to handle alot, yet sometimes it breaks on a bunny hop, haha. but, the new CS is holding up pretty good. But, I would prefer to have a bike thats more than i need. That way, when i have a wild hair up my ass and see something cool to try, i wont say "i dont want to break my bike". I would rather use the excuse," i dont want to break my ass". Overall, mine is just perfect. Skatepark, done. DH, done. all day trail riding, done.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    For a lot of what I ride the GT Sanction 1 full-squish rig with 6.5" of travel's more than what I typically would need. But I've begun riding some trails that I've never been on before and some of them have had unexpected rough stretches where I was instantly glad to have "more bike".

That said, I'm trying to continue improving my skill set on other trails I am familiar with so as to try not fall into the habit of letting the bike cover for lazy riding.

mtbr member
    I do not do drops or any crazy stuff. Maybe if I was twenty years younger I would be less worried about downtime or worse.
    But I am on a heavier side, and I like that my bike(s) is unlikely to disintegrate if I plow though some rocks with my usual lack of grace. It is all about the margin of safety.

T.W.O.
    Too much bike? may be on the climb, on my 6" bike but never on the descend. If it's easy and not too technical, I'd find way to have more fun and use up my suspension, why not

It just so happen my 6.5" bike is the best climbing bike I own, just a bit heavier than the others that's all

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    My Rune can handle much more than I am currently dishing out. However, I'm over 200 pounds with all my gear, and like technical terrain with the odd drop here and there. Better to be safe than sorry imo.

I have found real world riding differs a lot from what most riders describe on the internet as well. The web reads like this for many AM riders: Hey, I'm an aggressive rider and I'm looking for a bike that can climb and bomb harsh terrain. I won't go bigger than 4 feet on most days but will hit the occasional 8-10 foot drop on my favorite AM loop.

Real world translation for certain folk: I'm looking for a bike that I will rarely ride and I drop ledges that are 6" to 1 foot high. If I'm feeling it, I will hit a four footer to smooth tranny at a resort

Let the good times roll.
    Nope. I have a 6" bike, and I feel like I'm riding reasonably close to its full potential. I routinely take it off 10+ foot gaps and 4+ foot drops. And if I overshoot the tranny on some of those drops (which I do often enough) they become more like 8-10' to flat. Next year, I plan to use my bike for a couple downhill races in the easiest class and hit some of the freeride stuff while I'm the resort. Like I said...nope.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by miniwisejosh
    Nope. I have a 6" bike, and I feel like I'm riding reasonably close to its full potential. I routinely take it off 10+ foot gaps and 4+ foot drops. And if I overshoot the tranny on some of those drops (which I do often enough) they become more like 8-10' to flat. Next year, I plan to use my bike for a couple downhill races in the easiest class and hit some of the freeride stuff while I'm the resort. Like I said...nope.
    You do that with a big ring on?

usually cranky
    just something interesting to think about but fully utilizing a bike in a mechanical sense is a very fine line. cross that threshold and you have two halves of a bike instead of one bike. maybe im making no sense but, like, if you were pushing your bike to the max wouldnt it be beneficle to step up to a more capable ride? eg: if you are railing your trance downhill and off drops and off jumps and the trance can take it but its at its upmost limits wouldnt a reign be better to give you some breathing room?

Let the good times roll.
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    You do that with a big ring on?
    :shudder: No way. I ditched that a while ago. Rarely used it, and I was tired of slicing my legs or pants if I got careless. I'm running the 22/36T SLX with stock bash. I may go 1x10 with a 32T chainring on my next bike. I just need to get a little bit stronger for the climbs.

Edit: Are you looking at the bike in my profile pic? No way in hell I'd take jumps like that on a QR Float 32. Once I get my Command Post soon, everything on my bike when that shot was taken will have been upgraded except for the headset. I guess I should update the pic...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by miniwisejosh
    :shudder: No way. I ditched that a while ago. Rarely used it, and I was tired of slicing my legs or pants if I got careless. I'm running the 22/36T SLX with stock bash. I may go 1x10 with a 32T chainring on my next bike. I just need to get a little bit stronger for the climbs.

Edit: Are you looking at the bike in my profile pic? No way in hell I'd take jumps like that on a QR Float 32. Once I get my Command Post soon, everything on my bike when that shot was taken will have been upgraded except for the headset. I guess I should update the pic...
    Ah.. I looked at your profile bike photo and got worried.. I think many people do not realize how badly one can main himself with a 44.

mtbr member
    I personally don't think I have too much bike, if anything sometimes I have too little bike for some of the rides I do. I often venture over to the DH trails with my 5.5inch Prophet and watch my bike bottom out every drop and get kicked around underneath me through the rock gardens. However I also think that I have just enough bike for everything around here locally. Just enough for me to have fun on the hard trails and still get a little scared. I could use a 160 fork up front though.....that 32 Talas QR is flexing a bit more then I like.

However I do wish I had a 29er for my other trail riding at times, I definitely dont have too much bike for some of the things I ride locally, but often times I find myself on a trail where I wish I could have a more efficient and lighter bike.

Ah.. I looked at your profile bike photo and got worried.. I think many people do not realize how badly one can main himself with a 44.
    I use to do stuff like that with my big ring! Now its just a 38 with no bash. Also I do drops and gaps with my QR talas...........

Picture Unrelated
    Doesn't matter how much travel you have; as long as you feel like you have more travel than you need then you always get to push your boundaries. It's a nice feeling not to have the thought cross your mind that your equipment is holding you back in some way. I would always rather have more travel than less travel either way. I find you get a nice slack bike if you tend toward the longer travel bikes which is also a plus.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2clue
    I use to do stuff like that with my big ring! Now its just a 38 with no bash. Also I do drops and gaps with my QR talas...........
    Single ring is not as bad, as you always have chain on it.

I am sure you do fine with a QR, we all did. It works. .. but it is all about the margin of safety. I would not get a new fork without a through axle, just like I would not buy another car with electronic stability control. For that one time when your skills and attention decide to take a nap..

Let the good times roll.
    Oh yeah... I found that out the hard way when I dropped my bike awkwardly after carrying it for a while and sliced my shin right to the bone. That wasn't much fun.

new pics.

banned
    I have two bike,one for travel,one for daily riding

The White Jeff W
    I had a 4" XC full susser and was using all the travel front and rear and hanging on for dear life on the downs. I replaced her with a Yeti 575 and haven't found it's limits yet but I'll keep looking

Built a 650B hardtail for the rides where the Yeti is too much bike.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    thats why is good to have two bikes, one all mountain 160mm travel and one hardtail whit 120-130 travel, you take the all mountain one or two days and do your regular trails (climbing, singletracks, jumps etc) and other day take the hardtail do the same trails is gone be harder goin down and the jumps, but if you can do it fine you now that having a more bike than you need at the end is gona make you a better rider and a happy guy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast