mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Do you counter steer?

Do you push with your left hand to turn left?

mtbr member
    I bet a lot of ppl do it with out really knowing that is what is going on

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I was pushing with my right to turn left, and I was told that was wrong. Checked it with various sources, and push left to turn left is apparently the correct way.

mtbr member
    Speed will play a factor is counter steer, the faster your going the more it will affect your bike handling

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Although getting that road bike lean angle on loose over hardpack will result in a washout - but yes, the same principle applies...
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

Merendon Junkie
    Everybody counter steers, you just cant turn a two wheeled vehicle without it. But it doesnt work exactly how you describe. You counter steer intially, for the first brief momentos of the turn in order to put the bike off balance, then the steering input shifts to the direction of the turn once the bike is off balance thus balancing the system again. Most people counter steer instinctively so they dont know they are actually doing it. Drifting is a different story and there you will see the bikes front wheel pointed in strange directions, but that is not actually counter steering.

Cheers

mtbr member
    This is one of those threads that will pop into my head on my next ride and I will either realize I am doing it or not.
    2011 Trance x1

All good things in all good time

usually cranky
    if i gotta.

mtbr member
    It depends on what you mean by pushing with your left hand to turn left, and when you do it. If you're fast and you STEER right (push FORWARD with your left hand, as was mentioned, it will tilt the bike over to the left for the turn. Once in the turn the left hand should be lower than the right hand (as in pushing DOWN with the left hand).

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    It helps with bite on the inside edge of the tire to push through the outside pedal at the same time you are pushing the inside grip to initiate the turn.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Yup. At least, that's the way it was taught in my MSF course. Just don't confuse the left hand brake lever as the clutch. Poor results.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Do you counter steer?

No clue if I do it on my bikes, but absolutely on my motorcycles. It is hard to tell because a bike's steering is so light.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    What the f are you guys taking about. Push left to turn left? Counter steer? Well if the rear comes around why wouldn't you? Do you mean like if you snap your turn? Would depend on how you see the line through the corner? I'm lost here.?????? Like in an s turn?
    I tend to cut the apex and drift and bank the outside exit line if the turn let's me. Not sure if I'm doin right. But I suppose it depends how the turn is laid out. And everyone sees it differently.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Oh I get it now..... you mean whip the bike into the bank?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    And do a quick back pedal when you snap it to keep your outside foot down per lean?
    like Olly in this video just pumping and killing it.. DMR BOLT FRAME --RIDER TESTING - YouTube

Merendon Junkie
    Countersteering 101 v1.1 - YouTube, put your doubts to rest.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by abelfonseca View Post
    Countersteering 101 v1.1 - YouTube, put your doubts to rest.
    that was some serious technical enlightenment. now I will forever do it consciously which is kind of cool actually. I do use it exaggeratedly so,

Level 5 Rider!
    Nice.. thanks for that.. might actually help me out... or I might do something dumb, but then again sometimes that is the only way to learn. lol.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    No, I pull up with my right

Cool video
    Want a one of a kind bike? Message me for a one of a kind paint job.

The internet is a tough place to ride

loves me some carbon
    You all countersteer to some degree if you go around corners, but you don't really need to think about it on push bike because you turn the bike by leaning, and the bike is super easy to lean, even with the wheels moving at high speed.
    A motorbike is a different kettle of fish altogether, as it has a whole bunch more mass, and you've got three very big gyroscopes in the form of the two wheels and the crankshaft. When you try to use your body weight to lean a motorbike it doesn't really work as the gyroscopic effects of the wheels and crankshaft are relatively unaffected by your body weight, and the faster you are going(and the higher the revs), the more this is the case. To make a motorbike turn you have to push the front wheel out from under the centre line of the bike which forces it to lean over and it will then turn. Hence, if you want to turn left, you push the left bar to push the front wheel to the right and the bike leans over the left. And you don't hold the bar there.... you just push it to initiate the turn, and then let it correct itself. The front wheel will automatically adjust itself to the amount of lean and keep the bike turning until you initiate another movement.... either more lean or standing the bike up again. (This action of setting the lean angle and then allowing the front wheel to track accordingly applies equally to pushbikes. If you are stiff on the bars you won't be able to turn as effectively as someone who puts all their weight on the pedals and lets the front end track properly.)

Just to help clarify why the crankshaft makes so much difference, (and why an inline four is harder to turn than a V4 or twin) hold an 8kg dumb bell out in front of you, and tilt it from side to side. It has a certain amount off inertia that resists rotation, but you can do it. Now try the same with an 8kg barbell. It's the same weight, but the extra length makes it much harder to rotate (and incidentally much harder to then stop). Now imagine that barbell is rotating forwards at upwards of 12,000 rpm and you can understand why it is so hard to get it to lean.

So, to recap:
    Motorbike: You move body weight and bike stays upright and goes straight ahead.
    Pushbike: You move body weight and bike leans and goes round corner.
    Posting on the basis that ignorance shared is ignorance doubled.

Airborne Flight Crew
    I might countersteer, but it's an automatic thing, not something I think about doing. Not sure that I do it or not, it feels more like I just carve in to turns. I'll pay attention tomorrow. Cool video, btw...
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    exaggerate it with some speed and youre carving!