mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Disc brake & wheel upgrade advice

Hey there. I'm getting back into riding after about a decade off, and I think a couple of key upgrades are in order. So, looking for advice on...

Upgrading my 2002 Santa Cruz Superlight to hydraulic disc brakes. Frame & front shock have the bosses for discs - old school two-hole jobbers.

I'm not a weight weenie & don't want to spend a ton of money, so don't need the latest, lightest fantasy components.

Thanks in advance for helping an old fart out...

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    one thing to think about is your current brakes and shifters - are they an integrated unit, if so then to upgrade your brakes will require new shifters as well. Also, I am not sure if the sizes of calipers have changed since 2002, but that could be something to watch for.

as for brakes, it seems that shimano is the general prefferrred brake, although some will vote for the other manufacturers. Go XT if you can afford it (~$140 x 2), otherwise SLX is a reasonably priced alternative (~$100 x 2), icetech rotors (~$45 x 2).

Hubs and wheelsets, lots of options out there, personally, I am partial to Race Face stuff for my rig, but that is just me. I'll leave it to others to offer up thier specific thoughts on a set up.

This has the potential to run $1,000 easily, are you sure you want to put that much into a bike that is alreay 12 yrs old? To me, any major upgrade (like this) has the potential to become much more expensive than was originally planned.

mtbr member
    BB7...cheap and reliable.

One by Nine is Fine
    Quote Originally Posted by bgfthntr View Post
    BB7...cheap and reliable.
    ...and probably usable with the brake levers you already have. Do upgrade the brake cables though, to Jagwire (low-compression) or something similar.

Wheels/hubs, much bigger investment... go for something highly convertible, like from QR skewer to 15mm and 142/12, so you'll be able to move them to a newer frame in a year or two if your renewed interest in MTBing continues.

mtbr member
    x2 on Shimano brakes. im probably going to get the SLXs soon.

wheels.. depends on what kind of riding you want to do. WTB, DT Swiss, RaceFace all make nice stuff
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert