mtbr member

New question here. Disc brake adapter for Avid Juicy 5

Does anyone know which adapter I need to use to convert rear Hayes Sole hydraulic disc brake to Avid Juicy 5 on 2006 GT I-Drive 5 3.0? I went to a bike shop and they have 5 different adapters but without bringing the bike in to the shop they can't tell me

Before hauling my bike in to the shop I thought I check to see if anyone knows

Thanks!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonMTB View Post
    Does anyone know which adapter I need to use to convert rear Hayes Sole hydraulic disc brake to Avid Juicy 5 on 2006 GT I-Drive 5 3.0? I went to a bike shop and they have 5 different adapters but without bringing the bike in to the shop they can't tell me

Before hauling my bike in to the shop I thought I check to see if anyone knows

Thanks!
    The mounting bracket needed depends on the rotor size and frame mount type.

Likely that the correct bracket is already on the Juicy caliper, if you bought a "rear" setup.

This is not a conversion, just a replacement.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    The mounting bracket needed depends on the rotor size and frame mount type.

Likely that the correct bracket is already on the Juicy caliper, if you bought a "rear" setup.

This is not a conversion, just a replacement.
    Rotor that I am using is 160mm and Juicy 5 that I have is bought off someone and did not come with the bracket on the caliper.....your statement will be correct if I am going from Juicy 5 to another Juicy 5 as replacement but from Hayes Sole to Juicy 5 is definitely a conversion

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The Sole was a post mount caliper. The Juicy is also a post mount caliper. Most likely the adapter that was on the Sole "should" work with the Juicy.

Rotor that I am using is 160mm and Juicy 5 that I have is bought off someone and did not come with the bracket on the caliper.....your statement will be correct if I am going from Juicy 5 to another Juicy 5 as replacement but from Hayes Sole to Juicy 5 is definitely a conversion
    If the frame uses IS tabs the Hayes bracket will work.
    If the frame is post mount, the Avid caliper will bolt straight on.

No matter what, you do need the Avid CPS washer stack.

You are just replacing the Sole with the Juicy, not converting a Hayes into an Avid or from one brake type to another (such as rim brake to disc).
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    The Sole was a post mount caliper. The Juicy is also a post mount caliper. Most likely the adapter that was on the Sole "should" work with the Juicy.
    The only mount is on the bike which is part of the bike and caliper bolts directly to it horizontal coming in from the wheel side and Juicy bolts on vertically from top down therefore I will need an adapter bracket which mounts to the frame bracket horizontally then caliper mounts to adapter bracket vertically.....I hope I am explaining correctly And there are so many adapter brackets and without actually trying one by one on the bike it'll be hard to tell which one will fit......maybe my only option is to take the bike to the shop to find the right one for my bike.

I need one like this...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    It sounds to me that you need a 160mm R / 180mm F "IS" to post mount adapter from any manufacturer, but without pictures of your frame and the brake calipers, I don't feel comfortable telling you with absolute certainty.
    Last edited by BShow; 10-08-2012 at 08:54 AM.

The only mount is on the bike which is part of the bike and caliper bolts directly to it horizontal coming in from the wheel side and Juicy bolts on vertically from top down therefore I will need an adapter bracket which mounts to the frame bracket horizontally then caliper mounts to adapter bracket vertically.....I hope I am explaining correctly And there are so many adapter brackets and without actually trying one by one on the bike it'll be hard to tell which one will fit......maybe my only option is to take the bike to the shop to find the right one for my bike.

I need one like this...
    Yes, which are the type I linked to.

A good LBS would have you sorted in minutes.
    mtbtires.com

Quote Originally Posted by BShow View Post
    It sounds to me that you need a 160mm R / 140mm F "IS" to post mount adapter from any manufacturer, but without pictures of your frame and the brake calipers, I don't feel comfortable telling you with absolute certainty.
    You have that backwards.

An IS 160 rear is a 180 front.
    Front IS tabs are 10mm further from the axle than the rear IS tabs.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone......I will make a trip out to lbs with my bike so I can get the right adapter to work on my bike.....one of the lbs has sales every Tuesday so I will do this tomorrow.....:

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    You have that backwards.

An IS 160 rear is a 180 front.
    Front IS tabs are 10mm further from the axle than the rear IS tabs.
    You're right. I had my rotor sizes reversed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Please help me bike gurus! I'll just hijack this thread instead of starting a new one. Don't laugh, but this is the dreaded Votec Porsche bike FS single pivot frame. Well go ahead and laugh, but please help if you can. I'm switching parts over from another cheapo mtb. Anyway the rear brake caliper mounting holes are not 51mm IS, but 40mm on center. I want to mount Tektro post mount Io caliper with 160mm rear rotor. I don't have the original caliper mount adapter. Do I need to fab a mount or is there something I can buy? Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Disc brake adapter for Avid Juicy 5-img-20121010-00805.jpg  

Disc brake adapter for Avid Juicy 5-img-20121008-00793m.jpg  

Last edited by cyclhed; 10-12-2012 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclhed View Post
    Please help me bike gurus! I'll just hijack this thread instead of starting a new one. Don't laugh, but this is the dreaded Votec Porsche bike FS single pivot frame. Well go ahead and laugh, but please help if you can. I'm switching parts over from another cheapo mtb. Anyway the rear brake caliper mounting holes are not 51mm IS, but 40mm on center. I want to mount Tektro post mount Io caliper with 160mm rear rotor. I don't have the original caliper mount adapter. Do I need to fab a mount or is there something I can buy? Thanks!
    Those are the mounting holes for the brake mount. The caliper then bolts to the mount.

You need to find the original mount or fabricate a new one.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thank you Shiggy! I'll try to find the part or make one. I have a photo of it i found online.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Disc brake adapter for Avid Juicy 5-fs-rear-brake.jpg  

Last edited by cyclhed; 10-12-2012 at 04:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Hey guys I'm trying to put a Juicy Seven on a Manitou Minute (post) with a 160mm rotor. I can't seem to find a chart that shows this. I know 180 front = 160 back, but which mount works for 160 on the front?
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rideabike06 View Post
    Hey guys I'm trying to put a Juicy Seven on a Manitou Minute (post) with a 160mm rotor. I can't seem to find a chart that shows this. I know 180 front = 160 back, but which mount works for 160 on the front?
    Thanks!
    I believe the caliper will bolt directly to the fork. You still need to keep the CPS bolt and washer stack.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I thought so but without the wheel and rotor (on order) the caliper looks awful close to my thru axle. Thanks much.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclhed View Post
    Thank you Shiggy! I'll try to find the part or make one. I have a photo of it i found online.
    I finally fabricated a caliper mount from 11 gauge AL plate and a couple 10mm spacers.

The front derailleur is a Sachs, so I need to rig a Shimano to this mount somehow. Any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you bike gurus.
    Attached Images Attached Images