Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Different types of Bash Guards..serrated, squared etc.

2K views 21 replies 19 participants last post by  scrublover 
#1 ·
I posted this in the drive train section, but after 22 views and no responses, I though maybe this would be a better spot.:madman:

I have been thinking about getting a bash guard for a while, and after slicing my leg, again, on the rarely used large chain ring, I have decided it is time. I did a search and found a lot of great info on how to install one and which ones don't bend, but didn't find anything on the different styles. Any drawbacks or incentives to the serrated and/or squared off ones over the round bash guards?

#4 ·
Well... If you're talking about a bash ring such as like Straitline's, I've heard there's some purpose to its shape. LBS dude mentioned one time that the edging helps you crank over a rock/log if you get stuck; the edges grab into the surface of the obstacle. Not sure how true or effective that is though given that you kind of would want to slide over. I personally find it all mostly for aesthetics. IMO, If you like how the bash guard/ring looks and you know it will do the job, go for it!!

I'm happy with my plain old, nothing special, no-name brand, Round bash guard! Only looking to save the teeth on my crank ring!

Hope this helps.

#6 ·
Round BBG for me. Serrated teeth make no real sense to. At most you can get only a half stroke before the pedal strikes whatever you are trying to climb over and then the spikes could still dig into the rock/log causing you to stop, and you still have the spikes to gouge your calf. A smooth bash ring will just slide across pretty much anything you encounter.

#10 ·
Hard plastic Like the e13's are waaaay better than any metal bash guard. The reason is because the hard plastic ones glide right over obstacle without getting caught. The metal ones especially aluminum ones actually get caught up on obstacles causing a much higher probability of coming to an unexpected abrupt stop and perhaps even going OTB.

Juss Sayin.

HOLLA!!

#11 ·
gomes512 said:
I actually ended up chucking out my old serrated one. The round smooth ones do a much better job (at least for me) because they "slide" over the log rather than bite into it and lose your momentum.
My last bike had a serrated bash ring from Salsa. I added it to protect my big chainring. On my cerrent set up, I used a Truativ Stylo AM which has 2 chainrings and a built in smooth bashguard. So I have had experience with both. I can firmly support the above comment. Smooth is much better on the trail and the sliding over logs and rock really does make a difference.

John

#13 ·
bmxking45 said:
Hard plastic Like the e13's are waaaay better than any metal bash guard. The reason is because the hard plastic ones glide right over obstacle without getting caught. The metal ones especially aluminum ones actually get caught up on obstacles causing a much higher probability of coming to an unexpected abrupt stop and perhaps even going OTB.

Juss Sayin.

HOLLA!!
I've never noticed my plastic ones "slide" any better then the smooth metal ones. I just noticed they break (it was not an E13)

To the OP: I would go with smooth. I think once you are trying to use the ring as wheel to dig into whatever you are trying to go over, you have lost already. Better to figure out how to move the bike forwards using body english, and the bash being able to slide will make this easier.

#16 ·
I have been using the BBG guards for a while now and the only complaint that I have is once I had a chunk of wood lodge between the second ring and the guard which bent the guard slightly outward. it was not a significant bend and I easily flattened it out when I took it off. The best part was the price!

#17 ·
bmxking45 said:

Juss Sayin.

HOLLA!!
+1. my aluminum gamut, while looking nice and being light likes to hit and stick. also i think a lot has the do with the profile. it is squared whereas something beveled like the race face altas i would imagine goes over stuff easier.

#22 ·
I've had metal and plastic, no real preference, though haven't noticed a difference in them sliding or getting caught one more than the other. Prefer smooth, but purely for aesthetics. Never had any issue with the couple serrated ones I've had.

BBG is nice, but not really if you are hitting stuff hard or a lot. Bent the **** out of a couple. Thicker will last longer.

Blackspire, Gamut, and Goldtooth bashes on the bikes at the moment. They all do the job.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.