mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Different types of Bash Guards..serrated, squared etc.

I posted this in the drive train section, but after 22 views and no responses, I though maybe this would be a better spot.

I have been thinking about getting a bash guard for a while, and after slicing my leg, again, on the rarely used large chain ring, I have decided it is time. I did a search and found a lot of great info on how to install one and which ones don't bend, but didn't find anything on the different styles. Any drawbacks or incentives to the serrated and/or squared off ones over the round bash guards?

mtbr member
    Style, nothing more, nothing less.

BBG has some great, light, inexpensive options, and colors too.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    1. Take of crank ARM

2. Grind teeth on big chainring smooth.

3. ???

4. Profit!

mtbr member
    Well... If you're talking about a bash ring such as like Straitline's, I've heard there's some purpose to its shape. LBS dude mentioned one time that the edging helps you crank over a rock/log if you get stuck; the edges grab into the surface of the obstacle. Not sure how true or effective that is though given that you kind of would want to slide over. I personally find it all mostly for aesthetics. IMO, If you like how the bash guard/ring looks and you know it will do the job, go for it!!

I'm happy with my plain old, nothing special, no-name brand, Round bash guard! Only looking to save the teeth on my crank ring!

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thanks. I had heard the serrated kind were supposed to somehow give you traction over a log etc. but it did not make much sense to me either. Round it is then.

I'd rather be riding!
    Round BBG for me. Serrated teeth make no real sense to. At most you can get only a half stroke before the pedal strikes whatever you are trying to climb over and then the spikes could still dig into the rock/log causing you to stop, and you still have the spikes to gouge your calf. A smooth bash ring will just slide across pretty much anything you encounter.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I actually ended up chucking out my old serrated one. The round smooth ones do a much better job (at least for me) because they "slide" over the log rather than bite into it and lose your momentum.

I got the velcros
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by frankenstein406
    1. Take of crank ARM

3. ???

4. Profit!
    5. wtf?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Alot of guys may not like the serrated bash gaurds, but Straitline's sure look nice.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Hard plastic Like the e13's are waaaay better than any metal bash guard. The reason is because the hard plastic ones glide right over obstacle without getting caught. The metal ones especially aluminum ones actually get caught up on obstacles causing a much higher probability of coming to an unexpected abrupt stop and perhaps even going OTB.

Juss Sayin.

HOLLA!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gomes512
    I actually ended up chucking out my old serrated one. The round smooth ones do a much better job (at least for me) because they "slide" over the log rather than bite into it and lose your momentum.
    My last bike had a serrated bash ring from Salsa. I added it to protect my big chainring. On my cerrent set up, I used a Truativ Stylo AM which has 2 chainrings and a built in smooth bashguard. So I have had experience with both. I can firmly support the above comment. Smooth is much better on the trail and the sliding over logs and rock really does make a difference.

John
    On One Summer Season Single Speed

Blue Pig
    Quote Originally Posted by frankenstein406
    1. Take of crank ARM

3. ???

4. Profit!
    Because we all have time, patience, and a grinder or anything similar.
    I give positive rep all around but then I get negative rep from all the clowns.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bmxking45
    Hard plastic Like the e13's are waaaay better than any metal bash guard. The reason is because the hard plastic ones glide right over obstacle without getting caught. The metal ones especially aluminum ones actually get caught up on obstacles causing a much higher probability of coming to an unexpected abrupt stop and perhaps even going OTB.

Juss Sayin.

HOLLA!!
    I've never noticed my plastic ones "slide" any better then the smooth metal ones. I just noticed they break (it was not an E13)

To the OP: I would go with smooth. I think once you are trying to use the ring as wheel to dig into whatever you are trying to go over, you have lost already. Better to figure out how to move the bike forwards using body english, and the bash being able to slide will make this easier.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

ZEN RIDER!
    Life in every breath

I got the velcros
    Sep 2010
    Gimmick-izing of the bashguard.

Master of the Universe!
    Apr 2008
    I have been using the BBG guards for a while now and the only complaint that I have is once I had a chunk of wood lodge between the second ring and the guard which bent the guard slightly outward. it was not a significant bend and I easily flattened it out when I took it off. The best part was the price!
    Can't a guy get bombed and call his ex at 3 in the morning without it meaning something?!

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by bmxking45

Juss Sayin.

HOLLA!!
    +1. my aluminum gamut, while looking nice and being light likes to hit and stick. also i think a lot has the do with the profile. it is squared whereas something beveled like the race face altas i would imagine goes over stuff easier.

mtbr member
    Dumb question. What will fit an XT Triple and not obstruct the 3rd ring? Can anyone recommend a Gamut Clear one?

mtbr member
    they replace the third ring. There are third ring bashguards, but not as common. I believe Blackspire makes some...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Blksocks
    Because we all have time, patience, and a grinder or anything similar.
    Takes 5 minutes...

If your that cheap go to harbor freight and buy one or call a buddy

mtbr member
    BBG Bashguard..$15 and works great, very light and lifetime warranty,

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    I've had metal and plastic, no real preference, though haven't noticed a difference in them sliding or getting caught one more than the other. Prefer smooth, but purely for aesthetics. Never had any issue with the couple serrated ones I've had.

BBG is nice, but not really if you are hitting stuff hard or a lot. Bent the **** out of a couple. Thicker will last longer.

Blackspire, Gamut, and Goldtooth bashes on the bikes at the moment. They all do the job.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper