mtbr member
    Jun 2017

Diamondback Mission Pro or Release 3 (2017)? Help me choose!

I've been going back and forth for a couple of weeks debating on which one I want to get. Any advice would be great appreciated! (I'm sticking with diamondback due to discount)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The Mission Pro

Short-Change-Hero
    Relevant links.....
    Mission Pro
    Release 3

Personally I like the spec on the Release 3... but I am more a SRAM fan than Shimano. Main difference between the two is that the Release 3 is more of a "trail" bike by today's standards where as the Mission is a AM/Enduro bike with more travel all around. Depending on what you will be riding is which I would gear towards. Both have nice setups, good droppers (stock) and wheels. The Release is a little more "future proof" with the Boost front/rear setup which may allow you to run wider tires in the future.
    Seth, from Seth's Bike Hacks runs the Release 3 and he seems to love it. Mission pro is also about 2lbs heavier than the Release for same spec.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Thanks for the input! I'm leaning towards the Release 3 since it seems to be a little more versatile than the Mission Pro.

Short-Change-Hero
    What is your regular terrain and riding style? That will tell you more than anything which bike you should go for. Both will be very capable but if you plan on doing more "enduro" style riding or bike parks then you will want the extra travel of the Mission, the extra travel will serve you well in that situation.

mtbr member
    I dont mean to bump this up, but which one would you recommend for single track? Tight, twisty, steep but short up hill climbs. But all of the downhill stuff is loaded with rollers and burmed turns.

I currently ride a Framed Marquette Carbon hardtail and love it! But I get a bit beat up on the really rooted up stuff. Im currently looking at a Mission 2, but interested to hear what you guys think!

Short-Change-Hero
    If you are taking rollers and bermed turns you dont need a lot of suspension for that. These bikes here are more trail and park type bikes, you could do what you're talking about in a modern XC full squish. Like I said above, of those two bikes the Release is the more "trail oriented" bike and will probably play nicer with what you are wanting.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I agree with gregnash, the release will handle the climbing portions way better than the mission. The level link suspension nullifies almost all peddle bob while climbing. Diamondback acquired the patent from Santa Cruzes VPP suspension system when the patent ran out. Made it better and renamed it.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    If anyone is interested in the 2017 Mission Pro, its going for $2,719.00 on Aventuron.com. Thats the lowest price I've seen for Mission Pro.

Then 2017 Mission 2 is going for $1,899.00 on Jensonusa.com.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I've been a rider of trail bikes like Trek Fuel for a long time, and I recently purchased a Mission Pro. I always loved the down hills best and have just started going to lift-assisted parks like Snow Summit. I expected the Mission Pro to be great on the downhills but a bit of a dog on flatter trail rides. But I was so surprised! This bike is awesome as a trail bike and unbelievable on the downhills. I believe the geometry has been the same on the Diamondback Mission since about 2015 while a lot of the other Enduro bike brands have updated their geometry more recently. However, the main difference is that the Mission has a slightly higher bottom bracket, steeper head tube, and shorter reach than for example a Santa Cruz Nomad 3. I believe these newer features found on the other bikes would tend to help on fast down hill but would actually hurt the trail riding qualities of the Mission. In my mind, the Mission geometry is not only awesome on downhills but is also real good for balanced trail riding which honestly is the majority of my riding at this time. Can't say how much I am happy with this bike and the price is unbelievable. Also, this seems to be just a matter of personal preference and there are awesome riders who feel otherwise, but I prefer the firm feel of the XT brakes compared to SRAM's softer lever.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony7 View Post
    If anyone is interested in the 2017 Mission Pro, its going for $2,719.00 on Aventuron.com. Thats the lowest price I've seen for Mission Pro.

Then 2017 Mission 2 is going for $1,899.00 on Jensonusa.com.

I just logged onto the diamondback website which I once signed up for using some corporate discount portal (one I think anyone can access) and the mission pro is now selling for an astoundingly low price of 2199.99, which is kind of ridiculous given the specs.

mtbr member
    Ebates will give you an additional 2% cash back and I think Active Junkie is doing 3%.

Not a lot but still an extra $44/$66 dollars in your pocket.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1