Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Diamondback Mission 1 or GT Force 2.0

Okay, I'm looking at these two, and would like your opinions on which one I should take. I want to be as certain as possible before getting an AM bike.
    I'm especially interested in the ruggedness and ride-ability of these two bikes.
    Which one is better? And/or what other options should I consider (Within the respectable price range, which will be up to $1800)
    Any opinions welcome
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Is a tough one. Purely on the frame I prefer the diamondback, with the knucklebox you have a lower center of gravity. On the other hand I prefer the GTs spec and styling.

Flat six
    Feb 2011
    I had a 2011 Force 2.0 for about 4-5 months. It was too beefy for the trails around here, so I swapped it for a stumpjumper, but it was a killer bike while I had it. It always felt really solid and super confident, and handled great. It even pedaled pretty well considering it's 32lb weight.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Can't comment on the DB, but I have an 09 Force 2.0 and it's been an awesome ride.I've upgraded my some and managed to shed some weight on it down to 28lbs flat,I haven't had any creaking problems on mine for the 2 yrs. that I've owned. The Force just looks awesome and rides great !

mtbr member
    The Mission is a great AM bike, however there's nothing exciting on the specs on a M1. Have you tried price shopping? $1800 is M3 on firesale range.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Wow... looks like the Force might be a good option to consider!! Any more details on the frames strength/durability of the I-drive?

Quote Originally Posted by thesacrifice View Post
    The Mission is a great AM bike, however there's nothing exciting on the specs on a M1. Have you tried price shopping? $1800 is M3 on firesale range.
    Whoah!! Will look around! Makes me tingle Do you have any sites that sell the m3 at this price.. cause I haven't found any yet :S
    Last edited by HoskosvanZA; 10-23-2011 at 12:30 PM.

mbtr member
    Well, how about that. I've demo'ed the force and i own a mission. I really really like the mission, and the force feels like a long legged-xc bike, to me. Let's see.

The force is lower, steeper, and better pedalling. It has that feeling that the front wheel is stuck to the ground. The suspension works well, although i'm not very fussy. It climbs techy stuff very very well. Downhill i didn't really care for it. I think it felt kinda high in the BB and you rode the fork rather than sitting on the rear of the bike and guiding the front end around. Efficient cornering at the expense of a smaller margin for error. The one i rode had a 150mm fox 32, which always felt like it could absorb larger hits than it could track through. The rear suspension is firm, but effective. You don't really get to just park your butt on it. It added up to lots of confidence inspiring travel with lots of fun-kill efficient handling. I could see someone who wants to smash XC rides in rugged terrain liking it.

The mission felt like it was part of me right from the get go. Sure, the front end is a tad light on the climbs, it needs a little propedal, and i put my granny ring back on, but it's great fun on the downhill. You're in a more upright position and centered back on the bike much more than on the force. Jumps and freeride type stuff feels pretty natural, you don't have to throw the bike out in front of you, you can just roll back off the lip, and the suspension is more plush than the force. It climbs technical stuff very well also, but the way you go about it is quite different- the mission likes to sit back and spin as you ride the rear wheel up, where the force encourages you to hammer. It's a 6 inch bike for a very different rider; it is fun to do technical climbs on as you cruise to the top so you can rip going down. Mine has an angleset and a RS pike, and i'm happy with it set up like that, although i've never ridden it any other way.

Both frames are nice and stiff, the mission weighed 7.2lbs. I apologize that this isn't a very good review.
    I like cheap stuff that works great and is very sturdy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    Well, how about that. I've demo'ed the force and i own a mission. I really really like the mission, and the force feels like a long legged-xc bike, to me. Let's see.

The force is lower, steeper, and better pedalling. It has that feeling that the front wheel is stuck to the ground. The suspension works well, although i'm not very fussy. It climbs techy stuff very very well. Downhill i didn't really care for it. I think it felt kinda high in the BB and you rode the fork rather than sitting on the rear of the bike and guiding the front end around. Efficient cornering at the expense of a smaller margin for error. The one i rode had a 150mm fox 32, which always felt like it could absorb larger hits than it could track through. The rear suspension is firm, but effective. You don't really get to just park your butt on it. It added up to lots of confidence inspiring travel with lots of fun-kill efficient handling. I could see someone who wants to smash XC rides in rugged terrain liking it.

The mission felt like it was part of me right from the get go. Sure, the front end is a tad light on the climbs, it needs a little propedal, and i put my granny ring back on, but it's great fun on the downhill. You're in a more upright position and centered back on the bike much more than on the force. Jumps and freeride type stuff feels pretty natural, you don't have to throw the bike out in front of you, you can just roll back off the lip, and the suspension is more plush than the force. It climbs technical stuff very well also, but the way you go about it is quite different- the mission likes to sit back and spin as you ride the rear wheel up, where the force encourages you to hammer. It's a 6 inch bike for a very different rider; it is fun to do technical climbs on as you cruise to the top so you can rip going down. Mine has an angleset and a RS pike, and i'm happy with it set up like that, although i've never ridden it any other way.

Both frames are nice and stiff, the mission weighed 7.2lbs. I apologize that this isn't a very good review.
    I think you covered a lot of points and you should congratulate yourself on such fine work.
    This may come down to riding style and trails. For me the GT is going the out pedal the Mission on trails with a lot of up and down flow. The Mission is going the prove a much better fun factor bike on trails with DH>climbs and as scott said the Mission give you the inside the bike ride. I'd go with a Mission, but not the Mission 1, unless the trails you ride the most rely on pedal efficiency for momentum. or get a Reign and have both.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Very good insight into the feel of each bike! Best quick review ever thanks! I would just like to know which model year bikes you rode, thanks man!

mbtr member
    My mission is a 20ll that I built up as a frame,i think the force was a 2010,i rode it late 2oo9.

The reign kinda combine the better attributes of both bikes, they're fun too, but I wouldn't trade. Once you're comparing good designs, it's all about what compromise you want to make.
    Last edited by scottzg; 10-24-2011 at 10:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    My mission is a 20ll that I built up as a frame,i think the force was a 2010,i rode it late 2oo9.

The reign kinda combine the better attributes of both bikes, they're fun too, but I wouldn't trade.
    Do you prefer a reign above both these bikes?
    The stock Mission has a slightly slacker head angle than the Force, combined with the angled headset you used, would the mission still have a lighter feel to it's front end with only a 1 degree difference as stock or is it more attributed to the centre of gravity on the bike?
    Thanks once again

mbtr member
    The seat angle, cs lenght is the key. I like the mission more then the older reign I've ridden, and I don't like how they fudged the new xl reign, but I imagine I could be happy on one and I'm glad I don't own a force. It (the force) isn't right for me and I think a short travel fs 29er does a better job for that rider. I'm totally guessing at this point though, and I'm on my phone so I'm not even gonna look up the specs and pretend. Horses for courses.
    Last edited by scottzg; 10-24-2011 at 11:21 AM.

mbtr member
    My mission has the head angle of the lyric model and the bb height and seat angle of the float 150 model. 1 degree of head angle change is pretty subtle when you can do it without changing anything else.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I apologize if you already know this, but both bikes are on sale at Giantnerd.com for about 1200 bucks. I think they are the 2009 or 2010 models. I personally like the mission but they are both great bikes. good luck!

Wēk Ss
    FWIW, I know 2 guys with GT full suspension bikes (Force, different years). It creaks like crazy as they pedal and they needed to service the bearings regularly. One guy I know, it started creaking about the 4th or 5th ride on it. I haven't had to service my 2009 DB Mission yet, almost a full year of ownership. I do not know if this is normal for GT, but might want to do some research on it. Other than that, I don't know much about it other than specs and bits of suspension design differences.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderboltgreaseslapper View Post
    I apologize if you already know this, but both bikes are on sale at Giantnerd.com for about 1200 bucks. I think they are the 2009 or 2010 models. I personally like the mission but they are both great bikes. good luck!
    Thanks :P I do know about those, appreciate the input. Do you happen to know of any other places to get some deals from? I know about Jenson and Giantnerd for the DB Mission

My mission has the head angle of the lyric model and the bb height and seat angle of the float 150 model. 1 degree of head angle change is pretty subtle when you can do it without changing anything else.
    That's rather interesting! What fork are you running on yours? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    FWIW, I know 2 guys with GT full suspension bikes (Force, different years). It creaks like crazy as they pedal and they needed to service the bearings regularly. One guy I know, it started creaking about the 4th or 5th ride on it. I haven't had to service my 2009 DB Mission yet, almost a full year of ownership. I do not know if this is normal for GT, but might want to do some research on it. Other than that, I don't know much about it other than specs and bits of suspension design differences.
    I read through a few threads about this and their appears to be quite a lot of cases of the "squeeking" going on, but a few guys say they haven't experienced it yet..... I am leaning towards the Mission at this point it seems....

I can afford to go with the Mission 2, but heck then I'll probably wish i could have gone with the Mission 3 I'm still trying to find deals.. but it's kind of hard to do so xD

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

GT for me

I started with a Diamondback as some of us do. Diamondback makes decent bikes but I definitely view it as a beginner brand. Not in the vein of Mongoose really per se, better than that at least. But GT makes some pretty good bikes. Both cheaper and higher end. So for me GT wins out as a better all around bike. I imagine some components are rather comparable but some of GT parts are gonna be better. I think of things like the derailleur, shifters, brakes, etc. The more finely tuned parts.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovamelin View Post
    I started with a Diamondback as some of us do. Diamondback makes decent bikes but I definitely view it as a beginner brand. Not in the vein of Mongoose really per se, better than that at least. But GT makes some pretty good bikes. Both cheaper and higher end. So for me GT wins out as a better all around bike. I imagine some components are rather comparable but some of GT parts are gonna be better. I think of things like the derailleur, shifters, brakes, etc. The more finely tuned parts.
    apart from the components used, why do you see db as a beginner brand i wouldn't have thought so by looking at their bikes
    thanks

Let the good times roll.
    Diamondback isn't a beginner brand. That's crazy talk.

Diamondback and GT both make great stuff. So do Specialized, Trek, Giant, Pivot, Transition... Most current mainstream companies make bikes that perform very well. The main question is what fits your budget and intended use best. I own a Mission, and I like it a lot. It's a great AM bike - one of the best I've ridden even compared to big names like the Trek Remedy and Specialized Enduro. My only complaint is it doesn't seem strong enough for DH and FR. I've cracked a few frames over the past 3 years. Not much of a complaint though since that's not what the bike was designed for. People who ride the Mission like an AM bike (no DH races and 25' gaps) don't seem to have issues with cracking Mission frames made after 2009.

I think the GT Sanction compares better to the Mission. The Force should have geometry more similar to the Sortie.

I hope the Sanction turns out to be a good bike. I just found an irresistable deal on a 2009 frame, and got it out of curiosity I plan to switch between the Sanction and Mission over the winter, and keep the frame I like best for next year. I can't do what I really like (freeride) for a while due to an injury, so I guess I'll have fun with experimenting

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by miniwisejosh View Post
    Diamondback isn't a beginner brand. That's crazy talk.

Diamondback and GT both make great stuff. So do Specialized, Trek, Giant, Pivot, Transition... Most current mainstream companies make bikes that perform very well. The main question is what fits your budget and intended use best. I own a Mission, and I like it a lot. It's a great AM bike - one of the best I've ridden even compared to big names like the Trek Remedy and Specialized Enduro. My only complaint is it doesn't seem strong enough for DH and FR. I've cracked a few frames over the past 3 years. Not much of a complaint though since that's not what the bike was designed for. People who ride the Mission like an AM bike (no DH races and 25' gaps) don't seem to have issues with cracking Mission frames made after 2009.

I think the GT Sanction compares better to the Mission. The Force should have geometry more similar to the Sortie.

I hope the Sanction turns out to be a good bike. I just found an irresistable deal on a 2009 frame, and got it out of curiosity I plan to switch between the Sanction and Mission over the winter, and keep the frame I like best for next year. I can't do what I really like (freeride) for a while due to an injury, so I guess I'll have fun with experimenting
    thanks you just cleared up my doubts, think i'll go for a mission then. is the mission capable of freeride though thanks loads

Let the good times roll.
    I take my Mission on rides like this a few times every week, and it performs like a champ. Doesn't last too long though. That's why I don't recommend making a habit of going that big on a Mission unless you're a really smooth rider. Smaller stuff should be fine, especially if you make a point to land on good transitions.

When I'm healed up completely and back to logging frequent flier points, I plan to get something like the SX Trail or Canfield One. A legit freeride rig that I won't have to worry about as my skills improve.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Diamondback Mission 1 or GT Force 2.0-big-drop-001.jpg  

Diamondback Mission 1 or GT Force 2.0-img_5791.jpg  

Diamondback Mission 1 or GT Force 2.0-new-gap.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2010
    jusr got my mission and i love it

I'm with stupid
    I ride a GT Sanction, the Force's slacker brother. I love the I-Drive pedals great and very plush going down. I put a DHX 5.0 coil on mine and it became a super smooth feeling bike. Get the Force or take a look at the sanction.

Wēk Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by HoskosvanZA View Post
    is the mission capable of freeride though thanks loads
    Diamondback Scapegoat.

mbtr member

That's rather interesting! What fork are you running on yours? thanks
    a pike

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I second the Sanction. Pedals awesomely uphill and down. Takes some big hits and keeps going, but handles everything nicely. It can be built up a bit lighter, but the stock build is pretty nice (I have a 2010 1.0).
    Quote Originally Posted by forkboy
    And don't be scared to walk. Walking is one of the mystical 3 gears of Single Speed.

Sit
    Stand
    Walk.

mtbr member
    I have owned both GT and Diamondback love both - I currently own a 2010 Mission and its been a great bike.

In fact the GT Distortion was really high on my radar until I saw pics of Miniwise launching his Mission on the DB forum.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I take my Mission on rides like this a few times every week, and it performs like a champ. Doesn't last too long though. That's why I don't recommend making a habit of going that big on a Mission unless you're a really smooth rider. Smaller stuff should be fine, especially if you make a point to land on good transitions.

When I'm healed up completely and back to logging frequent flier points, I plan to get something like the SX Trail or Canfield One. A legit freeride rig that I won't have to worry about as my skills improve.
    Well... those the drops you did there... are bigger than I 'll go so I don't think I need much more than the Mission for now

Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    Diamondback Scapegoat.
    Hahah should have seen that answer coming....... All i can say is $$$$$

a pike
    What travel do you have on it oh and hows the Adjustable travel working for you?
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJr View Post
    I second the Sanction. Pedals awesomely uphill and down. Takes some big hits and keeps going, but handles everything nicely. It can be built up a bit lighter, but the stock build is pretty nice (I have a 2010 1.0).
    How well does the sanction handle jumps and drops? Oh and how easily does it bottom out? thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quick Question: Anyone have any Idea where I could get a GT sanction 2.0 from for the best price? Probably the 2010 model, and The same for the Mission 2, I'm 6'2 and The large Diamondback seems to be the right size for me. Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Jenson usa has ths mission two for $1999.00. Check giant nerd and rscycle.com Jenson also has a jamis x-am 1, 2010 for 1499 looks like a nice bike. Not sure what sizes they have. Good luck with your choice and please give us an update when you get a bike. Nothing worse than following a thread and never finding out what bike they got or if they like it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by g.murr View Post
    Jenson usa has ths mission two for $1999.00. Check giant nerd and rscycle.com Jenson also has a jamis x-am 1, 2010 for 1499 looks like a nice bike. Not sure what sizes they have. Good luck with your choice and please give us an update when you get a bike. Nothing worse than following a thread and never finding out what bike they got or if they like it.
    Thanks! I have been watching Jenson, and the Mission 2 kind of inched into what I can afford
    I'm stuck between the Mission 2 and the force 2 but If I could get something similar to a Sanction 2.0 (2010) then I'd probably have my mind made up for me. I've just been having a hard time finding someone that's got a Sanction in stock ,and I will deffo post what I decided on! Don't worry about that!
    My decision is literally between these three, but I favor the Sanction vs Mission:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Diamondback Mission 1 or GT Force 2.0-db-mission-2.jpg  

Diamondback Mission 1 or GT Force 2.0-gt-force-2-2011.jpg  

Diamondback Mission 1 or GT Force 2.0-gt-sanction.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    How well does the sanction handle jumps and drops? Oh and how easily does it bottom out? thanks

It handles everything I have thrown at it like a champ. The trails here in the midwest aren't the gnarliest, but it handles them all easily (I bought it planning on moving to the PNW). That being said, I do a lot of urban rides with it and I will regularly jump staircases to flat. The biggest vertical distance to flat I have done was about 6'. The bike handled it very well. Mine has a DHX 5.0 Air and so it has bottom out control, so you can set it up to bottom out easier or harder depending on your preferences. According to my o-ring on the shock, I used all but about a mm of the travel. The small bump compliance is fantastic as well, but it doesn't skimp on big hit compliance either.
    And don't be scared to walk. Walking is one of the mystical 3 gears of Single Speed.

Sit
    Stand
    Walk.

Let the good times roll.
    What travel do you have on it oh and hows the Adjustable travel working for you?
    My Lyrik has U-turn travel adjust. I experimented with it when I moved to the mountains and started doing serious climbing. I could never get used to how the bike handled uphill with less 140mm. It felt too twitchy and low. Not nimble like an XC bike. Just unstable like I was about to stall and crash on every ledge or rock. 150mm handled fine, but didn't get me to the top any faster. I eventually decided to leave the fork at 160mm for everything except rolling XC terrain. Then the quicker handling gives a small improvement in slow corners.

IMO adjustable seatposts are much more useful than travel adjust. Get one if you can

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    It handles everything I have thrown at it like a champ. The trails here in the midwest aren't the gnarliest, but it handles them all easily (I bought it planning on moving to the PNW). That being said, I do a lot of urban rides with it and I will regularly jump staircases to flat. The biggest vertical distance to flat I have done was about 6'. The bike handled it very well. Mine has a DHX 5.0 Air and so it has bottom out control, so you can set it up to bottom out easier or harder depending on your preferences. According to my o-ring on the shock, I used all but about a mm of the travel. The small bump compliance is fantastic as well, but it doesn't skimp on big hit compliance either.
    Well, the kind of riding you do sounds very similar to what I do, It's just really hard to find a 2010 Sanction 2.0 or a Sanction close to that price range My decision now lies between the Mission 2 and Sanction 2.0,I would easily settle on the Sanction 2 though... just need to find one!

My Lyrik has U-turn travel adjust. I experimented with it when I moved to the mountains and started doing serious climbing. I could never get used to how the bike handled uphill with less 140mm. It felt too twitchy and low. Not nimble like an XC bike. Just unstable like I was about to stall and crash on every ledge or rock. 150mm handled fine, but didn't get me to the top any faster. I eventually decided to leave the fork at 160mm for everything except rolling XC terrain. Then the quicker handling gives a small improvement in slow corners.

IMO adjustable seatposts are much more useful than travel adjust. Get one if you can
    Will do, which dropper-post would you recommend? I'm quite uncertain how far it should be able to drop as I have no experience with dropper posts whatsoever
    thanks!

I'm with stupid
    Sanction handles jump very well. I have hit everything at trestle bike park on mine to include rainmaker and be all you can be trails (youtube them to get a idea) If you can find one I would say snatch it up quick, Check to see what LBS around you carries GT stuff and have them call the factory and see what they can do for you. Good luck.

Let the good times roll.
    I'm happy with my Specialized Command Post. I got it second hand, and it turned out out to be busted. My LBS sent it to Specialized for repairs. Since then, it's been very reliable. All I've done so far is change the cable and housing when they get dirty, maybe every couple months. I'll need to change the seals soon. Specialized hasn't publicly released official tech documents for the Command Post (that I know of), but Decline mag has a great guide for overhaul and seal maintenance(decline magazine March 2010). It's on p.30

My post has no noticeable side-to-side or rotational play. There's a bit of up/down play - maybe 2-3mm - but I only feel it when I get on and off the saddle. No movement during seated pedalling. I really like the 3 fixed positions. High for climbing, low for descending or drops, and middle for blitzing though rolling XC that has me in and out of the saddle. My CP is 100mm. I thought that would be more than enough...and it was for a few months. Now I want to get lower for the really steep stuff. 125mm Blacklite is on my shopping list.

I also seriously considered the Reverb. I didn't get it mainly because I've already sliced hydraulic lines on rocky trails. I don't think the Reverb will remain locked in position if the hose gets cut, and it would suck to be in the middle of nowhere with a non-functioning seatpost. The Command Post can be manually adjusted even without the remote or cable. In fact, I really cant think of much that would make a Command Post unable to at least stay in a fixed position except some kind of catastrophic failure.

You should check the new adjustable posts out this year. Giant, X Fusion, Fox, maybe a few others I've forgotten about. User feedback should be popping up on the forums as more people try out the latest goodies.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    Sanction handles jump very well. I have hit everything at trestle bike park on mine to include rainmaker and be all you can be trails (youtube them to get a idea) If you can find one I would say snatch it up quick, Check to see what LBS around you carries GT stuff and have them call the factory and see what they can do for you. Good luck.
    My LBS carries them, they're just quite expensive so if i can find somewhere online it would help, otherwise I'll go with the mission, they both seem like great bikes, would just love to get hold of a Sanction!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Okay here is my Summary of Mission vs Sanction/force thread so far, this is solely based on what you guys have told me so far: I highlighted aspects I like in blue, things I'm not too concerned about in GREEN and aspects that don't appeal to me that much in red

Mission:
    Lighter front end/ slacker
    More Plush Suspension
    More a fun factor bike
    Better descender
    Everyone on here that owns both favours the mission
    Lower centre of gravity
    Might Not be as good a climber as the GT

GT Force:
    Looks
    Looks Like a strong , burly bike
    Handles around 6 foot drops to flat with DHX equippeed
    I-drive is said to work great
    NICE GROUPSET
    Force is more XC oriented
    Will out pedal the mission On trails
    Annoying CREAKING SOUND
    More top heavy- so slightly harder to throw around

I did this comparison to analise what I 've got infront of me, that's just the way I do it. Decided to share with you guys so that you can't correct me where I might have gone wrong
    Last edited by HoskosvanZA; 10-31-2011 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Yellow doesn't make for a good read... thanks Scott and Sanction and force were never suppose to be together on that column, my mistake

I'm with stupid
    The mission is slacker then 66 degrees?
    How do you get more plush suspension design?
    More fun and flickable? ( this based off of what? )

You can talk yourself into either bike that you want I'm ok with that it's not me riding it. But I suggest a test ride of both and see what feels better.

I tapped that

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    The mission is slacker then 66 degrees?
    How do you get more plush suspension design?
    More fun and flickable? ( this based off of what? )

You can talk yourself into either bike that you want I'm ok with that it's not me riding it. But I suggest a test ride of both and see what feels better.

I tapped that
    I'm not saying it IS any of those, if you quickly read through it again you'll realise what I'm intending to do. I based if off of the comparisons made in this thread. Please go read a few from the top down, as I can't be bothered to argue about this, as I'M TRYING TO GET SOMEWHERE.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    hosko- from what you have said it seems the mission would be a great fit, and its avail from jenson for cheap...? and you mentioned the sanction is out of your pice range... what's the hold up against the mission?

im sure the sanction is also a great bike, but what's up with the linkage under the downtube??? it seems like mud/ rocks would do damage on the exposed link. anyone have experience with this??

Let the good times roll.
    Okay here is my Summary of Mission vs Sanction/force thread so far, this is solely based on what you guys have told me so far: I highlighted aspects I like in blue, things I'm not too concerned about in yellow and aspects that don't appeal to me that much in red

Mission:
    Lighter front end/ slacker
    More Plush Suspension
    More a fun factor bike
    Better descender
    Everyone on here that owns both favours the mission
    Lower centre of gravity
    Might Not be as good a climber as the GT

GT Santion/force:
    Looks
    Looks Like a strong , burly bike
    Handles around 6 foot drops to flat with DHX equippeed
    I-drive is said to work great
    NICE GROUPSET
    Force is more XC oriented
    Will out pedal the mission On trails
    Annoying CREAKING SOUND
    More top heavy- so slightly harder to throw around
    Yeah, that pretty much summarizes what has been said so far.

BTW, yellow font is hard to read

mbtr member
    The sanction and force really shouldn't be grouped together, the sanction is a pedal friendly freeride bike and the force is a long travel xc bike. They end up being next to each other, but they got there from opposite directions.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    The sanction and force really shouldn't be grouped together, the sanction is a pedal friendly freeride bike and the force is a long travel xc bike. They end up being next to each other, but they got there from opposite directions.
    Just realised I did that, I was thinking about doing a different type of grouping, but thought that my original comparison was between the two so I kept it Force v Mission, That column only represents the Force, not the sanction, my fault. Not my meaning, as I realise the Sanction is slacker and looks like it has been reinforced around the head tube and is a heavier build over all

Yeah, that pretty much summarizes what has been said so far.

BTW, yellow font is hard to read
    Will keep that in mind

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestAir View Post
    hosko- from what you have said it seems the mission would be a great fit, and its avail from jenson for cheap...? and you mentioned the sanction is out of your pice range... what's the hold up against the mission?

im sure the sanction is also a great bike, but what's up with the linkage under the downtube??? it seems like mud/ rocks would do damage on the exposed link. anyone have experience with this??
    The Sanction is within my price range online, my LBS is waay over priced though but I can't find my size anywhere online.
    So yeah, the Mission seems to grab my vote. And that link does seem quite prominent... wonder if anyone has experienced problems there
    The only thing that's kept me thus far is my Good frame vs Good groupset, and I've read up loads about the bike. Will probably order it within the next week or two. That is if a Sanction doesn't pop up

Let the good times roll.
    My recommendation is to go with the frame you like better. Components can be upgraded over time, and that won't necessarily be expensive if you're good at browsing ebay and forum classifieds.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    My recommendation is to go with the frame you like better. Components can be upgraded over time, and that won't necessarily be expensive if you're good at browsing ebay and forum classifieds.
    Quite true, If I go with the Diamondback i feel as though I've got a very good base to work from. Which is quite comforting in a way Oh and I changed the words that were in yellow to green, hope that makes for better readability Just out of interest what would you upgrade first, let's say if you got a Mission 2 right now? Not immediately though, I'm thinking more towards long run? I was thinking dropper post.. and not much further... just replace what breaks from there on?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    And that link does seem quite prominent... wonder if anyone has experienced problems there
    The link is called a dogbone and on the early (99-03ish) iterations, it was not nearly as beefy and did tend to break a lot (though not on my '00). These new ones are overbuilt to prevent that from happening. I haven't exactly been nice to my sanction but the link is still in great order. Besides a bit of mud, there isn't anything wrong with it. It is tucked up there more than it looks like in pictures and doesn't really present a clearance issue or anything. As far as rocks hitting it, it is a piece of billet aluminum...it's about the same as rocks hitting the downtube or any other part of an aluminum frame.

Sit
    Stand
    Walk.

Let the good times roll.
    Quite true, If I go with the Diamondback i feel as though I've got a very good base to work from. Which is quite comforting in a way Oh and I changed the words that were in yellow to green, hope that makes for better readability Just out of interest what would you upgrade first, let's say if you got a Mission 2 right now? Not immediately though, I'm thinking more towards long run? I was thinking dropper post.. and not much further... just replace what breaks from there on?
    lol. I upgraded all the stock components on my '07 M2 in about 2 years. . The most noticeable changes were the dropper post, Lyrik, wheels, cranks, and Monarch shock.

That wasn't necessary though. Just UGI and me trying to turn my bike into a mini freerider. The Mission 2 with stock parts is an excellent bike that will meet most riders' needs. Dropper post is the only upgrade it really needs IMO.

The main thing is to set the cockpit up right. Make sure you have the right stem, saddle, handlebar, pedals, and grips to keep you comfortable and avoid injuries caused by poor fit. If you buy at a LBS, they will probably help you do that for minimal cost. Depending on your local terrain, you may also want to get different tires.

After that, it all depends on your riding style and how picky you are. Ride the bike, see what you think of the parts, and then consider upgrading whatever you think would make riding more enjoyable.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I thought the Force is categorized (at least by GT) as an AM bike. The Sensor (categorized by GT as Trail) might be GT's long travel XC bike. Now if AM and long travel XC means the same, then please ignore. Either way, I agree, the Force and Sanction shouldn't be grouped together. The Sanction indeed is categorized by GT as a Freeride/Enduro bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Mission 2 on order, waiting for it to ship
    The link is called a dogbone and on the early (99-03ish) iterations, it was not nearly as beefy and did tend to break a lot (though not on my '00). These new ones are overbuilt to prevent that from happening. I haven't exactly been nice to my sanction but the link is still in great order. Besides a bit of mud, there isn't anything wrong with it. It is tucked up there more than it looks like in pictures and doesn't really present a clearance issue or anything. As far as rocks hitting it, it is a piece of billet aluminum...it's about the same as rocks hitting the downtube or any other part of an aluminum frame.
    It does look quite exposed in pictures, never noticed it at my LBS though, so yeah... probably not that much of a concern Plus if you've got a bash guard there, probably wont ever touch anything. Bet it might even be stronger than the down tube then seeing that it's a piece of billet Al?

lol. I upgraded all the stock components on my '07 M2 in about 2 years. . The most noticeable changes were the dropper post, Lyrik, wheels, cranks, and Monarch shock.

That wasn't necessary though. Just UGI and me trying to turn my bike into a mini freerider. The Mission 2 with stock parts is an excellent bike that will meet most riders' needs. Dropper post is the only upgrade it really needs IMO.

The main thing is to set the cockpit up right. Make sure you have the right stem, saddle, handlebar, pedals, and grips to keep you comfortable and avoid injuries caused by poor fit. If you buy at a LBS, they will probably help you do that for minimal cost. Depending on your local terrain, you may also want to get different tires.

After that, it all depends on your riding style and how picky you are. Ride the bike, see what you think of the parts, and then consider upgrading whatever you think would make riding more enjoyable.
    How did the mini freerider idea work out though? Sounds like an interesting take on the mission, I bet it could be upgradeed to a freeride bike quite easily, (to scapegoat stats in any case ) Oh and here we have a wide range of conditions including sand, rocks, gravel and urban so please suggest a good tread The current tread on it looks to be alright, will se when it arrives

Quote Originally Posted by mtngt View Post
    I thought the Force is categorized (at least by GT) as an AM bike. The Sensor (categorized by GT as Trail) might be GT's long travel XC bike. Now if AM and long travel XC means the same, then please ignore. Either way, I agree, the Force and Sanction shouldn't be grouped together. The Sanction indeed is categorized by GT as a Freeride/Enduro bike.
    Well, we were talking more along the lines of how it rides/feels if that helps Scottzg said it's front wheel feels planted to the ground more, and that it's more of a pedaler. No doubt it is an AM bike, mayebe leaned more towards a neutral AM bike and is more capable over a broad range (thus more xc oriented than the mission), while the Mission is a bit more descent oriented (less xc oriented) I don't think the intention is to Label it a XC bike Hope it helps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast