Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 53
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    39

    Diamondback Mission 1 or GT Force 2.0

    Okay, I'm looking at these two, and would like your opinions on which one I should take. I want to be as certain as possible before getting an AM bike.
    I'm especially interested in the ruggedness and ride-ability of these two bikes.
    Which one is better? And/or what other options should I consider (Within the respectable price range, which will be up to $1800)
    Any opinions welcome
    Thanks

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: lew242's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    505
    Is a tough one. Purely on the frame I prefer the diamondback, with the knucklebox you have a lower center of gravity. On the other hand I prefer the GTs spec and styling.

  3. #3
    Flat six
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    74
    I had a 2011 Force 2.0 for about 4-5 months. It was too beefy for the trails around here, so I swapped it for a stumpjumper, but it was a killer bike while I had it. It always felt really solid and super confident, and handled great. It even pedaled pretty well considering it's 32lb weight.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    13
    Can't comment on the DB, but I have an 09 Force 2.0 and it's been an awesome ride.I've upgraded my some and managed to shed some weight on it down to 28lbs flat,I haven't had any creaking problems on mine for the 2 yrs. that I've owned. The Force just looks awesome and rides great !

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thesacrifice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    395
    The Mission is a great AM bike, however there's nothing exciting on the specs on a M1. Have you tried price shopping? $1800 is M3 on firesale range.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    39
    Wow... looks like the Force might be a good option to consider!! Any more details on the frames strength/durability of the I-drive?

    Quote Originally Posted by thesacrifice View Post
    The Mission is a great AM bike, however there's nothing exciting on the specs on a M1. Have you tried price shopping? $1800 is M3 on firesale range.
    Whoah!! Will look around! Makes me tingle Do you have any sites that sell the m3 at this price.. cause I haven't found any yet :S
    Last edited by HoskosvanZA; 10-23-2011 at 11:30 AM.

  7. #7
    mbtr member
    Reputation: scottzg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,748
    Well, how about that. I've demo'ed the force and i own a mission. I really really like the mission, and the force feels like a long legged-xc bike, to me. Let's see.

    The force is lower, steeper, and better pedalling. It has that feeling that the front wheel is stuck to the ground. The suspension works well, although i'm not very fussy. It climbs techy stuff very very well. Downhill i didn't really care for it. I think it felt kinda high in the BB and you rode the fork rather than sitting on the rear of the bike and guiding the front end around. Efficient cornering at the expense of a smaller margin for error. The one i rode had a 150mm fox 32, which always felt like it could absorb larger hits than it could track through. The rear suspension is firm, but effective. You don't really get to just park your butt on it. It added up to lots of confidence inspiring travel with lots of fun-kill efficient handling. I could see someone who wants to smash XC rides in rugged terrain liking it.

    The mission felt like it was part of me right from the get go. Sure, the front end is a tad light on the climbs, it needs a little propedal, and i put my granny ring back on, but it's great fun on the downhill. You're in a more upright position and centered back on the bike much more than on the force. Jumps and freeride type stuff feels pretty natural, you don't have to throw the bike out in front of you, you can just roll back off the lip, and the suspension is more plush than the force. It climbs technical stuff very well also, but the way you go about it is quite different- the mission likes to sit back and spin as you ride the rear wheel up, where the force encourages you to hammer. It's a 6 inch bike for a very different rider; it is fun to do technical climbs on as you cruise to the top so you can rip going down. Mine has an angleset and a RS pike, and i'm happy with it set up like that, although i've never ridden it any other way.

    Both frames are nice and stiff, the mission weighed 7.2lbs. I apologize that this isn't a very good review.
    .

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Drth Vadr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    781
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    Well, how about that. I've demo'ed the force and i own a mission. I really really like the mission, and the force feels like a long legged-xc bike, to me. Let's see.

    The force is lower, steeper, and better pedalling. It has that feeling that the front wheel is stuck to the ground. The suspension works well, although i'm not very fussy. It climbs techy stuff very very well. Downhill i didn't really care for it. I think it felt kinda high in the BB and you rode the fork rather than sitting on the rear of the bike and guiding the front end around. Efficient cornering at the expense of a smaller margin for error. The one i rode had a 150mm fox 32, which always felt like it could absorb larger hits than it could track through. The rear suspension is firm, but effective. You don't really get to just park your butt on it. It added up to lots of confidence inspiring travel with lots of fun-kill efficient handling. I could see someone who wants to smash XC rides in rugged terrain liking it.

    The mission felt like it was part of me right from the get go. Sure, the front end is a tad light on the climbs, it needs a little propedal, and i put my granny ring back on, but it's great fun on the downhill. You're in a more upright position and centered back on the bike much more than on the force. Jumps and freeride type stuff feels pretty natural, you don't have to throw the bike out in front of you, you can just roll back off the lip, and the suspension is more plush than the force. It climbs technical stuff very well also, but the way you go about it is quite different- the mission likes to sit back and spin as you ride the rear wheel up, where the force encourages you to hammer. It's a 6 inch bike for a very different rider; it is fun to do technical climbs on as you cruise to the top so you can rip going down. Mine has an angleset and a RS pike, and i'm happy with it set up like that, although i've never ridden it any other way.

    Both frames are nice and stiff, the mission weighed 7.2lbs. I apologize that this isn't a very good review.
    I think you covered a lot of points and you should congratulate yourself on such fine work.
    This may come down to riding style and trails. For me the GT is going the out pedal the Mission on trails with a lot of up and down flow. The Mission is going the prove a much better fun factor bike on trails with DH>climbs and as scott said the Mission give you the inside the bike ride. I'd go with a Mission, but not the Mission 1, unless the trails you ride the most rely on pedal efficiency for momentum. or get a Reign and have both.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    Well, how about that. I've demo'ed the force and i own a mission. I really really like the mission, and the force feels like a long legged-xc bike, to me. Let's see.

    The force is lower, steeper, and better pedalling. It has that feeling that the front wheel is stuck to the ground. The suspension works well, although i'm not very fussy. It climbs techy stuff very very well. Downhill i didn't really care for it. I think it felt kinda high in the BB and you rode the fork rather than sitting on the rear of the bike and guiding the front end around. Efficient cornering at the expense of a smaller margin for error. The one i rode had a 150mm fox 32, which always felt like it could absorb larger hits than it could track through. The rear suspension is firm, but effective. You don't really get to just park your butt on it. It added up to lots of confidence inspiring travel with lots of fun-kill efficient handling. I could see someone who wants to smash XC rides in rugged terrain liking it.

    The mission felt like it was part of me right from the get go. Sure, the front end is a tad light on the climbs, it needs a little propedal, and i put my granny ring back on, but it's great fun on the downhill. You're in a more upright position and centered back on the bike much more than on the force. Jumps and freeride type stuff feels pretty natural, you don't have to throw the bike out in front of you, you can just roll back off the lip, and the suspension is more plush than the force. It climbs technical stuff very well also, but the way you go about it is quite different- the mission likes to sit back and spin as you ride the rear wheel up, where the force encourages you to hammer. It's a 6 inch bike for a very different rider; it is fun to do technical climbs on as you cruise to the top so you can rip going down. Mine has an angleset and a RS pike, and i'm happy with it set up like that, although i've never ridden it any other way.

    Both frames are nice and stiff, the mission weighed 7.2lbs. I apologize that this isn't a very good review.
    Very good insight into the feel of each bike! Best quick review ever thanks! I would just like to know which model year bikes you rode, thanks man!

  10. #10
    mbtr member
    Reputation: scottzg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,748
    My mission is a 20ll that I built up as a frame,i think the force was a 2010,i rode it late 2oo9.

    The reign kinda combine the better attributes of both bikes, they're fun too, but I wouldn't trade. Once you're comparing good designs, it's all about what compromise you want to make.
    Last edited by scottzg; 10-24-2011 at 09:47 AM.
    .

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    My mission is a 20ll that I built up as a frame,i think the force was a 2010,i rode it late 2oo9.

    The reign kinda combine the better attributes of both bikes, they're fun too, but I wouldn't trade.
    Do you prefer a reign above both these bikes?
    The stock Mission has a slightly slacker head angle than the Force, combined with the angled headset you used, would the mission still have a lighter feel to it's front end with only a 1 degree difference as stock or is it more attributed to the centre of gravity on the bike?
    Thanks once again

  12. #12
    mbtr member
    Reputation: scottzg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,748
    The seat angle, cs lenght is the key. I like the mission more then the older reign I've ridden, and I don't like how they fudged the new xl reign, but I imagine I could be happy on one and I'm glad I don't own a force. It (the force) isn't right for me and I think a short travel fs 29er does a better job for that rider. I'm totally guessing at this point though, and I'm on my phone so I'm not even gonna look up the specs and pretend. Horses for courses.
    Last edited by scottzg; 10-24-2011 at 10:21 AM.
    .

  13. #13
    mbtr member
    Reputation: scottzg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,748
    My mission has the head angle of the lyric model and the bb height and seat angle of the float 150 model. 1 degree of head angle change is pretty subtle when you can do it without changing anything else.
    .

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    168
    I apologize if you already know this, but both bikes are on sale at Giantnerd.com for about 1200 bucks. I think they are the 2009 or 2010 models. I personally like the mission but they are both great bikes. good luck!

  15. #15
    Wēk Ss
    Reputation: IAmHolland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,532
    FWIW, I know 2 guys with GT full suspension bikes (Force, different years). It creaks like crazy as they pedal and they needed to service the bearings regularly. One guy I know, it started creaking about the 4th or 5th ride on it. I haven't had to service my 2009 DB Mission yet, almost a full year of ownership. I do not know if this is normal for GT, but might want to do some research on it. Other than that, I don't know much about it other than specs and bits of suspension design differences.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderboltgreaseslapper View Post
    I apologize if you already know this, but both bikes are on sale at Giantnerd.com for about 1200 bucks. I think they are the 2009 or 2010 models. I personally like the mission but they are both great bikes. good luck!
    Thanks :P I do know about those, appreciate the input. Do you happen to know of any other places to get some deals from? I know about Jenson and Giantnerd for the DB Mission

    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    My mission has the head angle of the lyric model and the bb height and seat angle of the float 150 model. 1 degree of head angle change is pretty subtle when you can do it without changing anything else.
    That's rather interesting! What fork are you running on yours? thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    FWIW, I know 2 guys with GT full suspension bikes (Force, different years). It creaks like crazy as they pedal and they needed to service the bearings regularly. One guy I know, it started creaking about the 4th or 5th ride on it. I haven't had to service my 2009 DB Mission yet, almost a full year of ownership. I do not know if this is normal for GT, but might want to do some research on it. Other than that, I don't know much about it other than specs and bits of suspension design differences.
    I read through a few threads about this and their appears to be quite a lot of cases of the "squeeking" going on, but a few guys say they haven't experienced it yet..... I am leaning towards the Mission at this point it seems....

    I can afford to go with the Mission 2, but heck then I'll probably wish i could have gone with the Mission 3 I'm still trying to find deals.. but it's kind of hard to do so xD

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    8

    GT for me

    I started with a Diamondback as some of us do. Diamondback makes decent bikes but I definitely view it as a beginner brand. Not in the vein of Mongoose really per se, better than that at least. But GT makes some pretty good bikes. Both cheaper and higher end. So for me GT wins out as a better all around bike. I imagine some components are rather comparable but some of GT parts are gonna be better. I think of things like the derailleur, shifters, brakes, etc. The more finely tuned parts.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovamelin View Post
    I started with a Diamondback as some of us do. Diamondback makes decent bikes but I definitely view it as a beginner brand. Not in the vein of Mongoose really per se, better than that at least. But GT makes some pretty good bikes. Both cheaper and higher end. So for me GT wins out as a better all around bike. I imagine some components are rather comparable but some of GT parts are gonna be better. I think of things like the derailleur, shifters, brakes, etc. The more finely tuned parts.
    apart from the components used, why do you see db as a beginner brand i wouldn't have thought so by looking at their bikes
    thanks

  19. #19
    Let the good times roll.
    Reputation: miniwisejosh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,158
    Diamondback isn't a beginner brand. That's crazy talk.

    Diamondback and GT both make great stuff. So do Specialized, Trek, Giant, Pivot, Transition... Most current mainstream companies make bikes that perform very well. The main question is what fits your budget and intended use best. I own a Mission, and I like it a lot. It's a great AM bike - one of the best I've ridden even compared to big names like the Trek Remedy and Specialized Enduro. My only complaint is it doesn't seem strong enough for DH and FR. I've cracked a few frames over the past 3 years. Not much of a complaint though since that's not what the bike was designed for. People who ride the Mission like an AM bike (no DH races and 25' gaps) don't seem to have issues with cracking Mission frames made after 2009.

    I think the GT Sanction compares better to the Mission. The Force should have geometry more similar to the Sortie.

    I hope the Sanction turns out to be a good bike. I just found an irresistable deal on a 2009 frame, and got it out of curiosity I plan to switch between the Sanction and Mission over the winter, and keep the frame I like best for next year. I can't do what I really like (freeride) for a while due to an injury, so I guess I'll have fun with experimenting

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by miniwisejosh View Post
    Diamondback isn't a beginner brand. That's crazy talk.

    Diamondback and GT both make great stuff. So do Specialized, Trek, Giant, Pivot, Transition... Most current mainstream companies make bikes that perform very well. The main question is what fits your budget and intended use best. I own a Mission, and I like it a lot. It's a great AM bike - one of the best I've ridden even compared to big names like the Trek Remedy and Specialized Enduro. My only complaint is it doesn't seem strong enough for DH and FR. I've cracked a few frames over the past 3 years. Not much of a complaint though since that's not what the bike was designed for. People who ride the Mission like an AM bike (no DH races and 25' gaps) don't seem to have issues with cracking Mission frames made after 2009.

    I think the GT Sanction compares better to the Mission. The Force should have geometry more similar to the Sortie.

    I hope the Sanction turns out to be a good bike. I just found an irresistable deal on a 2009 frame, and got it out of curiosity I plan to switch between the Sanction and Mission over the winter, and keep the frame I like best for next year. I can't do what I really like (freeride) for a while due to an injury, so I guess I'll have fun with experimenting
    thanks you just cleared up my doubts, think i'll go for a mission then. is the mission capable of freeride though thanks loads

  21. #21
    Let the good times roll.
    Reputation: miniwisejosh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,158
    I take my Mission on rides like this a few times every week, and it performs like a champ. Doesn't last too long though. That's why I don't recommend making a habit of going that big on a Mission unless you're a really smooth rider. Smaller stuff should be fine, especially if you make a point to land on good transitions.

    When I'm healed up completely and back to logging frequent flier points, I plan to get something like the SX Trail or Canfield One. A legit freeride rig that I won't have to worry about as my skills improve.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Diamondback Mission 1 or GT Force 2.0-big-drop-001.jpg  

    Diamondback Mission 1 or GT Force 2.0-img_5791.jpg  

    Diamondback Mission 1 or GT Force 2.0-new-gap.jpg  


  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    51
    jusr got my mission and i love it

  23. #23
    I'm with stupid
    Reputation: hitechredneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,002
    I ride a GT Sanction, the Force's slacker brother. I love the I-Drive pedals great and very plush going down. I put a DHX 5.0 coil on mine and it became a super smooth feeling bike. Get the Force or take a look at the sanction.

  24. #24
    Wēk Ss
    Reputation: IAmHolland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,532
    Quote Originally Posted by HoskosvanZA View Post
    is the mission capable of freeride though thanks loads
    Diamondback Scapegoat.

  25. #25
    mbtr member
    Reputation: scottzg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,748
    Quote Originally Posted by HoskosvanZA View Post

    That's rather interesting! What fork are you running on yours? thanks
    a pike
    .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 07 diamondback mission 2 for first MTB
    By joefosho315 in forum Diamondback
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-23-2010, 05:56 AM
  2. Diamondback Mission 2
    By btothep in forum Where are the Best Deals?
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-24-2010, 02:53 PM
  3. Diamondback mission
    By SoCaliStinky in forum Diamondback
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-05-2009, 08:26 PM
  4. Diamondback mission
    By SoCaliStinky in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-23-2009, 01:18 PM
  5. Diamondback Mission 1
    By rarroyo in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 01-16-2009, 08:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •