Diamondback bikes

Printable View

• 04-25-2006
    rdline
    Diamondback bikes
    :p What are the pros and cons to this brand of bike???

Thanks,
    rdline
  • 04-25-2006
    Judd97
    Depends on what you're looking for...
    It really depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking for an all mountain bike, I might shy away from them a little bit, but if you're on a tight budget, it might be a good option.

My friend has a Diamondback from... 2001 I think. Its an ok bike. Its a step up from the department store bikes, definitely, but its not up to par with alot of bikes and he's looking to upgrade it (though I tell him itmight be cheaper to buy a new bike). I ride pretty hard and he has a tough time keeping up with me, and I think alot of it is because of our bike difference; mine being a 2002 Enduro and his being the 2001 hardtail diamondback. He doesn't take great care of it either, so that might be a factor.

What bike in particular are you looking at (if any)? Check out the reviews of them on this site. Good luck!
  • 04-25-2006
    XSL_WiLL
    I rode a 2005 Diamondback XSL frame for a bit over a year. I loved that bike. I beat the sh!t out of it too, my riding definitely didn't match it's intended purpose. It was a bit flexy though, that's my main complaint. They're high end stuff is pretty nice. The frames are well built, and their CS is pretty good.
  • 04-25-2006
    cameronm_99
    I ride an 98 Diamondback Topanga Comp HT and have had no issues. I've upgraded just about everything when I've broken it or had the money to burn. I try to take good care of it since I can't afford to replace it. I've beat the crap out of this bike and it just keeps going and I have a problem keeping up on rides, but that's not the bikes fault. I ride almost everything my buddies ride on their FS bikes with little to no problem. For the money I don't think you can go wrong w/ a DB. I'm actually eyeing the XSL frame @ wheelworld as a relatively inexpensive way to get a FS bike.

Cameron
  • 04-26-2006
    Call_me_Clyde
    What to consider
    I could be wrong on this, so bear with me. I believe that Diamondback/Raleigh markets two different lines of bikes. One line they sell to LBS, the other they sell to sporting goods stores. The bikes they sell via the LBS will be bona-fide mountain bikes that are trail worthy. They are a pretty good value from what I've seen. I would be wary of the bikes they sell through sporting goods stores. They will tend to have lower end and even sub-par components that won't withstand the rigors of off road usage.

Again, I could be way off on this, but I think I'm pretty much on target. Check for yourself and make the call based on what you see. I would also go to the Diamnodback/raleigh forum here and speak to a guy named Mellow Yellow. He's probably the best resource on this site regarding these bikes, and a straight shooter.

Bob
  • 04-27-2006
    cameronm_99
    I've seen some of diamondback's lower-end bikes in both the LBS and a sporting goods store. The bikes where identical as far as I could see. Frames aren't to bad but they had Alivio or Altus drive trains which aren't generally cut out for much abuse.

Cameron
  • 04-27-2006
    joncmack
    I can't comment on Diamondback's new stuff....but this is from 1999 and is still an amazing frame (especially with a 2005 Romic rear shock). It's for sale for $250 by the way.

http://forum.bikemag.com/photopost/d...m/CIMG0421.JPG

http://forum.bikemag.com/photopost/d...m/CIMG0424.JPG

http://forum.bikemag.com/photopost/d...m/CIMG0422.JPG