mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Devinci Dixon Sl Vs Stumpjumper Elite

I need some help folks, when my Camber sells I'll be moving into something with longer travel and I have narrowed it down to the Devinci Dixon Sl (150mm front 145mm rear) and the Specialized Stumpjumper Elite (140mm front and rear). I am wary to leave Specialized as i have had great luck with my Camber but I'm unsure if the Stumpy will be enough of a change from my current ride.

So i turn to the masses, give me some opinions folks

* I should add I have not had a chance to ride the newest generation of stumpjumper frame, and i have tested the devinci

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by allenfstar View Post
    I need some help folks, when my Camber sells I'll be moving into something with longer travel and I have narrowed it down to the Devinci Dixon Sl (150mm front 145mm rear) and the Specialized Stumpjumper Elite (140mm front and rear). I am wary to leave Specialized as i have had great luck with my Camber but I'm unsure if the Stumpy will be enough of a change from my current ride.

* I should add I have not had a chance to ride the newest generation of stumpjumper frame, and i have tested the devinci
    I wonder how much of a difference there is between the camber and the stumpy. 20mm? I bet it will feel very similar. How was the devinci?

mtbr member

Why not a Stumpy Evo with 150mm, slacker geo and some burlier parts?

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by darkslide18 View Post
    Why not a Stumpy Evo with 150mm, slacker geo and some burlier parts?
    thats what i was thinking. you lose the brain and get a slight decrease in drivetrain quality but gain a ta fork for a couple hundred less. id go this route.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    evos are sold out, devinci is nice but doesnt pedal like an fsr

mtbr member
    I've not ridden either, but the craftsmanship on the Dixon is second to none. It looks like a bike that is engineered for years of abuse. I don't trust Spec and their flimsy rocker links...

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Haus Boss View Post
    I've not ridden either, but the craftsmanship on the Dixon is second to none. It looks like a bike that is engineered for years of abuse. I don't trust Spec and their flimsy rocker links...
    Have you ever seen a FSR rocker link break? I have owned three bikes with the FSR rear suspension (03 S-works Epic, 06 S-works Stumpjumper, 12 Stumpjumper Evo), and have never had a problem with the rocker links. I have never even heard of one breaking. They are chunks of forged aluminum. Even if you did find a way to break one, they only cost ~$30 to replace.

The Dixon is a nicer looking frame from a craftsmanship perspective while the Stumpy Evo seems to be better regarded from a ride perspective (every magazine that evaluated them side by side chose the Stumpy). You wouldn't be disappointed with either I am sure.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    to be fair almost every review gives the dixon better control while descending, but im leaning more and more towards the stumpy

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by Haus Boss View Post
    I don't trust Spec and their flimsy rocker links...
    they are just tiny little peices of aluminum.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    devinci

mtbr member
    evos are sold out, devinci is nice but doesnt pedal like an fsr
    Get the bike you really want or you'll regret it.

The EVO is definitely closer to a Dixon than the "regular" Stumpjumper FSR, at least in terms of geometry and probably general handling I assume. It might be worth waiting a bit and trying to find an EVO if that's what you really want.

Personally I'm riding a Dixon RC for the last few weeks and I love it. The Split Pivot is really comfortable IMHO. On the Specialized I tried, I have not been a big fan of the FSR system to start with. But I guess you like that feeling if you're a Specialized fan. That's more a personal choice I guess.
    Guillaume