mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Derailleur Question

I have a 07 Haro Escape. It has upgraded forks Marz 44 ATA and the bike works great except for the derailleurs. It has the stock Sram 4x and they skip especially after a landing and steep climbs. What is a resonably priced replacement that will work good for XC and AM. I don't do big hits but at 250# every bump is like a big hit. I can't afford alot of $$$$.

Trek Fuel EX 7
    Unless you are going to change your shifters you will need to stick to SRAM. The best deal is the X.9 RD.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/127...lleur-2008.htm

You could go with X.7 but they are only $20 cheaper.

The SX.4 you have are the sporting goods store quality.

Dirt Deviant
    Might be a good call to inspect the chain and cassette as well. Usually when it is skipping under a load, it is a sign of a worn out chain/cassette. If you end up changing out the rear derailluer, you might still have the same problem. If you are going to change the cassette and chain as well, try to save up for some shifters. X.7 shifters and derailluer work great if you don't want to spend $$ on higher end stuff.
    You could go with a PG970 or PG950 cassette, PC950 chain, and X.7 all around and get out the door pretty cheap if you shop around. Look for 2007-2008 closeouts. There are deals to be had.
    Also might want to have a look at the derailluer hanger to make sure it is straight. A slightly bent hanger will cause major skipping under load as well.
    Just food for thought.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

ride hard take risks
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I've run XTR, XT, XO, and X9. The 2007 & 2008 model X9 is my pick. XTR and XT are slow, XO is to much $$$$.

Best bang for the buck is the X9 shifters and X9 RD. I would not suggest changing the rear to X9 unless you already have the X9 shifters. Most likely if you have X4 RD the shifter is probability along the same build quality: since the indexers are in the shifters (not in the RD) you will not be happy with the performance of the X9 RD unless you upgrade the shifters. They do need to match in build quality

I run X9 shifters and RD, XT on FD, XT cassette, and XT hollowtech cranks. I do have on a XTR chain as it the only chain I haven't broken. I never have issues with my drive train.

Last X9 shifter RD combo I picked up cost me $140 shipped.

Hope this helps,

Anti-Outsourcer
    Jan 2007
    +1 for X9 rear mech, but I've always run X9 mechs with X7 shifters. I've never wished I had the X9's, especially after they moved down the X9 features to the X7 a couple seasons back. Plus sometimes it's handy to know what gear you're in without looking down.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CheeseSoda
    +1 for X9 rear mech, but I've always run X9 mechs with X7 shifters. I've never wished I had the X9's, especially after they moved down the X9 features to the X7 a couple seasons back. Plus sometimes it's handy to know what gear you're in without looking down.
    Good to know you like the X7 shifters, I haven't heard much feedback on late model X7 stuff as most peeps buy the X9 combo pack to get the RD... and by default they end up with the X9 shifters. If in the future I blow the shifter I may try the X7 shifter XX9 RD combo and buy beer with the left over loot. LOL

Anti-Outsourcer
    Jan 2007
    Yup. It's crazy how much they mark down "last year's" X7 shifters... I almost felt guilty when I bought my most recent set.

Also note that a LOT of setups can get away with a mid cage X9 instead of a long, which makes all the difference in the world believe it or not. I have a mid on my 22/32/44 by 11-34 Nomad, and have no problems. I'll never buy a long cage mech ever again.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Yup. It's crazy how much they mark down "last year's" X7 shifters... I almost felt guilty when I bought my most recent set.

Also note that a LOT of setups can get away with a mid cage X9 instead of a long, which makes all the difference in the world believe it or not. I have a mid on my 22/32/44 by 11-34 Nomad, and have no problems. I'll never buy a long cage mech ever again.
    You are 100% right it will work. However if you set the chain length so it can't rub on the little little setup it's will put the derailluer under stress if you shift to the big big rings. BUT let me also say that if you shift into the Big Big rings then your need shifting lessons. The reason I say so is that shifting into the Big Big rings = cross -chained. BIG NO NO.

Like you I will never again buy a long cage and if I were to buy a bike with a long installed I would replace it with med. Shifting is much faster and chain drop almost never happens.

Dirt Deviant
    At this moment, all my bikes have medium cage derailluers....either X.9 or X.0. X.9 shifters all the way around, except my commuter which has an X.0 twist shift.
    BTW, the X.7 triggers work great with x.9 as well. And the X.7 rear mech works really well for it's price. If you can't afford X.9 stuff, I'm sure you will be more than happy with an X.7 setup. the only reason I upgraded is I work in a shop, and can get the stuff really cheap. Otherwise, I'd run X.7 shifters, and either an X.7 or X.9 mech.

mtbr member
    You need to get rid of that x4 setup ASAP, that' what they sell on WalMart bikes. No offense to these bikes but they're not made to handle ANY kind of abuse.

x7's will work extremely well for a reasonable price, I suggest you go in that direction

Dirt Deviant
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/128...COMBO-2008.htm

You might be able to find a better deal if you really search around, but this combo is a good deal.

Anti-Outsourcer
    Jan 2007
    The down side with the PricePoint combo is that it's a long cage, and it really isn't a great price for those parts anyhow.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thanks for the help. I'm picking up a X7 medium cage brand new off ebay for $36.00. Found some X7 shifters for $14.00.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    My X7's arrived. And before I slap them on I was wondering if I'll have any problems running my 8 speed cassett? Is there any special set up? Also I found a new set of avid Jucy 3's with 8" disks for $150.00 is that a good deal?
    Last edited by ThorAllMyT; 01-26-2009 at 02:33 PM.

Anti-Outsourcer
    Jan 2007
    If the shifters you purchased are 8 speed shifters, then you're good to go. If you snagged some 9 speeds, you'll need a new cassette which never hurts anyways. Chances are you'll need a new chain as well, because old drivetrain parts never like playing with new drivetrain parts. I'm pretty in love with the SRAM 970 line of parts. They have a good balance of cost, weight, durability, etc.

As for the brakes, I would not buy anything below a Juicy 7, for lack of features over mechanicals. They just increase maintenance, and the risk of popping a fitting on the trail... And that's speaking from both my experience, and some friends that I get suckered into wrenching for haha.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ThorAllMyT
    My X7's arrived. And before I slap them on I was wondering if I'll have any problems running my 8 speed cassett? Is there any special set up? Also I found a new set of avid Jucy 3's with 8" disks for $150.00 is that a good deal?

NO! I sold a complete set of J5's for $150. They were brand new in the box 2008 models.

mtbr member

You got that stuff off ebay really fast! How did you get it so fast? For 9sp shifters you will need a 9sp cassette and chain.

ride hard take risks
    Let the UGI commence.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I have the original Pivot hub that came on the bike. The guy at the bike shop doesn't think a 9 speed cassette will fit on the hub. So now I guess I need a new rear hub as well. Where can I get a decent hub for cheap? I've done alot of upgrades on this bike and now I'm running out a $$$$. I guess I can run the derailleur now untill I find a hub and cassette.At least I'll have a halfway decent setup when I'm done. I hope????

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by stubs179
    You got that stuff off ebay really fast! How did you get it so fast? For 9sp shifters you will need a 9sp cassette and chain.

Picked um up from the guy locally.

mtbr member
    I have the original Pivot hub that came on the bike. The guy at the bike shop doesn't think a 9 speed cassette will fit on the hub. So now I guess I need a new rear hub as well. Where can I get a decent hub for cheap? I've done alot of upgrades on this bike and now I'm running out a $$$$. I guess I can run the derailleur now untill I find a hub and cassette.At least I'll have a halfway decent setup when I'm done. I hope????

You'll get a pretty nice setup when you're done.
    You can find new shimano hubs (xt's and lx's) on ebay for about 10-15 bucks...
    You can also find the Sram cassettes for about 15-20 bucks.

ride hard take risks
    New hub means new spokes $UGI$
    Formotion Products

Dirt Deviant
    According to the sheldon brown website, you should have no problems fitting a 9spd cassette on a 8spd hub. I've done it many times without issue.
    Now, if it was a 7spd hub, you'd have problems.
    BTW, get a new chain when you get the cassette. It is a must!

Anti-Outsourcer
    Jan 2007
    I switch between 8spd and 9sp cassettes all the time... What's the model number of that hub?

mtbr member

Try a different LBS. I bet the guy was just mad you didn't get the parts from him. I think all 8sp and 9sp use the same cassette body. It would be really weird if some did and some didn't. And 9sp chains are thinner so you can't use an 8sp chain on a 9sp cassette. It will not fit on one sproket without getting picked up by the next. It will goast shift bad.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    My rear hub says "Pivit Disk 9"
    So should I be right to assume that it will be compatable with a 9 speed cassette. can't find any info about the hub on the net.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I took it to a different shop and they will put all my new parts on for $25. So the total cost of upgrading to Sram X7 and 9 speed Sram cassette and chain $135.00.he has a set of jucy 7's he will slap on for $200 but I have to wait a month for that. When I'm all done the bike will have cost me $950.00

Escape sport
    Marz 44 ATA forks
    Sram X7
    Jucy 7's (if I go that route)

Lesson learned should have bought the $900.00 bike to start with but I still would have had to upgrade the forks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I switch between 8spd and 9sp cassettes all the time... What's the model number of that hub?

Pivit Disk 9

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I took it to a different shop and they will put all my new parts on for $25. So the total cost of upgrading to Sram X7 and 9 speed Sram cassette and chain $135.00.he has a set of jucy 7's he will slap on for $200 but I have to wait a month for that. When I'm all done the bike will have cost me $950.00

Escape sport
    Marz 44 ATA forks
    Sram X7
    Jucy 7's (if I go that route)

Lesson learned should have bought the $900.00 bike to start with but I still would have had to upgrade the forks.
    Looks like a sweet setup for 950. Got any pics?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by M_S

I'm going To ride my YZ450 this morning then I pick my MTB up this afternoon and I'll go for a quick 10 miler. I have hundreds of miles of loops and trails in my back yard. I'll take a pic today and post it.

I started looking around and I cant find even a hardtail set up with any mid level componants on it for under $1200.00. The Kona bikes in that price range come with Alivio witch is entry level. I would have still had to upgrade the forks as well sending it up to the $1,600.00 range.

I think when it's all said and done I'll have a decent mid level set up for the price. The warrenty upgrade program thru Marzocchi saved me $300.00 on the forks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by M_S
    Here's a pic. The bike is shifting a bit rougher than it use to. Is there a break in time for the new cassette?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Here's a pic. The bike is shifting a bit rougher than it use to. Is there a break in time for the new cassette?

Sweet bike, hope you enjoy.

Going from a shimano shifter to sram you will notice the shifting is stiffer... this will not go away. The shimano is soft and feels smoother, but the sram will be more positive in the shifts and faster. You will get used to the feel and learn to love it. Check out the vid below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZQf1bduGYs

Anti-Outsourcer
    Jan 2007
    If you mean the the shifting feels sort of "grindy" or "clicky" then it may be the chain, cassette, and chainrings all getting used to eachother. If it is indeed that, then it should work in after a few hours of riding. If it just feels stiffer, it's the SRAM setup like Flyag said. Either way, take her out for a few rides and it should start feeling like you want it to.

Members who have read this thread: 0