Infidel

Demoed a new bike and loved it. How much of the awesome feel of the bike was th

I demoed a new Santa Cruz Bronson Carbon and really fell in love with the bike. Or did I? Was it perhaps the exorbitantly expensive Enve Wheels that I loved? I'm seriously considering purchasing this frame and building it up. Will I be disappointed with how it rides with with my Hadley Hubs laced to a Stans Flow or Pacenti rim? If so, what other carbon rim options are out there? I don't want a prebuilt wheel because I love my Hadley hubs. Thanks in advance for your input.

mtbr member
    I don't have any more than a spin around a parking lot on Enve wheels so I'm not really qualified to speak about, but did that ever stop anyone?

I can't see the wheels being the difference between loving a bike and just liking it. Everyone I've talked to that has Evne wheels thought they were worth it, but it takes a certain type of person to spend $1000 on a rim, and I'm not sure that person's sense of values (i.e., what's "worth it") matches up with mine.

I can't imagine I'd be at all disappointed with Hadley hubs and Flow EX rims. Not saying I, or you, couldn't tell a difference vs Enve, but... they are 1/10th the price and I personally would be unable to not think about that. Pacenti would give you width options that Enve does not, I think that would help the overall feel of the bike more than the weight/stiffness of the carbon rims.

over on 29er there is a lengthy thread about light-bicycle.com carbon rims. They are available in 650, only cost $165, and seem like they are getting ok reviews. I'm thinking the next set of wheels I build will use these, unless something better comes around before then.

No Clue Crew
    I don't know what you ride but here in AZ it's a lot of chunky rock we climb and descend on. My buddy just bought a Bronson and put a set of Flows on it and is really liking it. I think he's got Hadley hubs as well but not sure on them; maybe Hopes... But, it's a solid bike for sure so I'm guessing you'll like it fine without the Enve wheels...

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Light-bicycle is the way to go. Super fast shipping for being overseas, and very good customer service with a proven warranty.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Another vote for light-bicycle. I've been riding their 650b rims laced to hadleys for half a year now and I've been very pleased. Not featherweight, but still a respectable 1760g in my case (DT Rev, alloy nips, DH versions of the hubs). For rims stronger than a Flow, lighter than an Arch, and stiff as hell, they're a hard deal to beat for only twice the cost of a Stan's rim.