Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 99
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    30

    Definition of "All Mountain"

    What types of riding does all mountain cover? How is it different from cross country? I'm just new to this trying to sort things out.

  2. #2
    Knomer
    Reputation: Dusty Bottoms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,319
    It's a marketing term for an activity called "mountain biking". As far as I can tell, mountain bikes were originally designed to 'go anywhere', which seems to be the key principle for all-mountain riding. The average mountain bike that is designed to 'go anywhere' usually weighs around 30 pounds, and this rule of thumb has applied in 1992, 2002, and now in 2012. You just get much more technology packed into those 30 pounds these days.

    The name of this market segment may change over time, but the activity will always be general mountain biking.
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    176
    <---- Don't feed them

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    321
    AM is where you put flats on an xc bike and whine about climbing but brag about how high you can jump

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DannyHuynh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    405
    Suspension Travel:
    4inchs = xc
    5inchs = trail
    6inchs = am
    7inchs = mini dh/ Freeride
    8+inchs = DH

  6. #6
    brandisher of chainsaws
    Reputation: chainsawgeoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by Combatcm View Post
    AM is where you put flats on an xc bike and whine about climbing but brag about how high you can jump
    Thanks for pigeonholing me dude!

  7. #7
    Swedetarded
    Reputation: mrbigisbudgood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    521
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms View Post

    The name of this market segment may change over time, but the activity will always be general mountain biking.
    Thank you.

  8. #8
    BLAH BLAH
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    457
    Please Noooooo...
    Whats this line for?

  9. #9
    Swimming thru the Smog
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    305
    This seems like a troll post.


    but

    an AM bike is burly enough for jumps, drops, bike park, DH, etc, but is still able to be pedaled uphill rather decent.

  10. #10
    Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Reputation: In-Yo-Grill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,147
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyHuynh View Post
    Suspension Travel:
    4inchs = xc
    5inchs = trail
    6inchs = am
    7inchs = mini dh/ Freeride
    8+inchs = DH
    What's the difference between "xc" and "trail"...?

  11. #11
    workin' it Administrator
    Reputation: rockcrusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    8,030
    Quote Originally Posted by In-Yo-Grill View Post
    What's the difference between "xc" and "trail"...?
    About 1 inch!

    Thanks, try the Veal and don't forget to tip your Waiters!
    Try this: HTFU

  12. #12
    LightJunction.com
    Reputation: lightjunction's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    774
    The ways companies define the different types of mountain biking and the ways customers define them can differ greatly. In general (and I stress "general"), all-mountain encompasses more types of trails than XC, Freeride, Enduro or whatever else you want to call a type of riding. The idea behind an all-mountain bike is that you can pretty much ride whatever type of trail you want on it. An all-mountain bike won't be the fastest or most efficient bike over most types of terrain, but it will perform fairly well on a wider variety of trails than any other type of mountain bike. An all-mountain bike essentially lets you ride the whole mountain. It's a great option if you're heading to a big trail network with lots of variety, or if you're going someplace new and you're not sure what the terrain will be like.
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    12
    This is my take on it:

    XC = Racing laps around a track.
    Trail = Just going out and riding for the fun of it.
    AM = Similar to trail riding but you are constantly on the look out for technical routes.
    Freeride = Riding Technical lines just to see if it can be done.
    DH = Get down the hill quicker than anyone else.

    I think most mountain bikers fall into the trail/AM categories.

  14. #14
    Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Reputation: In-Yo-Grill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,147
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    About 1 inch!

    Thanks, try the Veal and don't forget to tip your Waiters!
    Sooooo...you're saying that XC bikes are just 1" short of greatness...Bwahahahahhaha!!!!!

  15. #15
    workin' it Administrator
    Reputation: rockcrusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    8,030
    Quote Originally Posted by In-Yo-Grill View Post
    Sooooo...you're saying that XC bikes are just 1" short of greatness...Bwahahahahhaha!!!!!
    I actually have no hand in this argument because my bike has a sum total of 0" of travel anywhere yet I consider myself not a roadie but a hardcore, AM/Light FR rider. I do the occasional XC style ride and 24hr races too all on the same bike. So not sure where 0" fits into that metric but in case anyone notices you missed a criteria in there.

    How about this instead of measuring a genre by how much travel one can buy it goes like this:

    Recreational = shorter bikes, upright position, medium length top tubes, mix of paths, roads and singletrack with minimal or no jumps, drops or technical sections. Bikes can weigh from high 20's to high 30's and are generally lower end components and cost brackets but not limited to that.

    XC = longer bikes, stretched out position, longer top tubes, rides a mix of trails with fast singletrack, long ascents and descents, minimal jumps and drops and technical sections but not limited to that. Bikes can weigh from low teens to ~30lbs.

    AM/Trail= Medium length bikes, more upright position and mid length top tubes, ride a mix of trails with singletrack, long ascents and descents, good amount of jumps and drops and technical sections but not limited to that. Bikes can weigh from low 20's to mid 30's.

    FR=Medium length bikes, very upright position and short top tubes, ride a mix of trails with singletrack, short ascents or lift access and long descents with a lot of jumps, drops, and technical sections but not limited to that. Bikes can weigh from the high 20 to the low 40's.

    DH=Long bikes, very upright position, and short top tubes, ride a mix of trails with singletrack, lift access mainly, long descents with a lot of jumps, drops and technical sections but not limited to that. Bikes can weigh from low 30's to high 40's depending on the course and focus of the terrain.

    Modifiers = RACE added to any genre. Time is goal over length of course, points can be added for tricks. All genres except Recreational.
    Try this: HTFU

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    14
    How can I determine if a bike is an XC, Trail, or All Mountain? I just acquired a 2010 Cannondale F5 last October and wondering where it fits categorically. Would it be the frame, suspension, and/or components that determine the level of riding (jumping, technical level of terrain, ie). Thanks - still learning .

    Edit: Lol! Thanks rockcrusher for the post. I should have waited for you to finish typing.
    Last edited by yaga; 02-10-2012 at 08:04 AM.
    1990 Mongoose IBOC Series Comp - all original
    2010 Cannondale F5

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    30
    Thanks alot for the replys. Rockcrusher your response was very helpful. I feel that I fit in the XC class for my style of riding.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,417
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    I actually have no hand in this argument because my bike has a sum total of 0" of travel anywhere yet I consider myself not a roadie but a hardcore, AM/Light FR rider. I do the occasional XC style ride and 24hr races too all on the same bike. So not sure where 0" fits into that metric but in case anyone notices you missed a criteria in there.

    How about this instead of measuring a genre by how much travel one can buy it goes like this:

    Recreational = shorter bikes, upright position, medium length top tubes, mix of paths, roads and singletrack with minimal or no jumps, drops or technical sections. Bikes can weigh from high 20's to high 30's and are generally lower end components and cost brackets but not limited to that.

    XC = longer bikes, stretched out position, longer top tubes, rides a mix of trails with fast singletrack, long ascents and descents, minimal jumps and drops and technical sections but not limited to that. Bikes can weigh from low teens to ~30lbs.

    AM/Trail= Medium length bikes, more upright position and mid length top tubes, ride a mix of trails with singletrack, long ascents and descents, good amount of jumps and drops and technical sections but not limited to that. Bikes can weigh from low 20's to mid 30's.

    FR=Medium length bikes, very upright position and short top tubes, ride a mix of trails with singletrack, short ascents or lift access and long descents with a lot of jumps, drops, and technical sections but not limited to that. Bikes can weigh from the high 20 to the low 40's.

    DH=Long bikes, very upright position, and short top tubes, ride a mix of trails with singletrack, lift access mainly, long descents with a lot of jumps, drops and technical sections but not limited to that. Bikes can weigh from low 30's to high 40's depending on the course and focus of the terrain.

    Modifiers = RACE added to any genre. Time is goal over length of course, points can be added for tricks. All genres except Recreational.

    This is best description right here.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc
    2014 Surly Pugsley

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 53119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,731
    my "in my 40s" take on this last year..pretty simple without getting marketing/tech babble involved and using just your own chickenskin levels as a your guide.
    xc - xtra careful
    am - ambulance maybe
    dh - definitely hospital
    fr - forget recovery

    on a certain bittersweet day you may experience all
    i really should type less and tread more

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tystevens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,536
    Quote Originally Posted by 53119 View Post
    my "in my 40s" take on this last year..pretty simple without getting marketing/tech babble involved and using just your own chickenskin levels as a your guide.
    xc - xtra careful
    am - ambulance maybe
    dh - definitely hospital
    fr - forget recovery

    on a certain bittersweet day you may experience all
    I like it!

    My definition -- there is no such thing as "all mountain" riding -- it is just riding.

    But an 'all mountain' bike is one you can ride competently and confidently in all circumstances, from an xc ride to downhill runs at the resort. Maybe not the best bike for any circumstance, but one that will get the job done nonetheless.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: riiz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    362
    Quote Originally Posted by Combatcm View Post
    AM is where you put flats on an xc bike and whine about climbing but brag about how high you can jump
    best answer

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    321
    Too much words and letters in those descriptions

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 53119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,731
    Quote Originally Posted by Combatcm View Post
    Too much words and letters in those descriptions
    true but with a lack of skill or skill set. one needs explained excuses for one's informed choices and/or purchases.
    i really should type less and tread more

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    198
    Not sure if this is a troll post, but here's my 2 cents.

    As someone who has been riding mtb for close to 20 years, these latest descriptions come off as pretty moronic, marketing-generated micro-categorizations. The kind of riding people are calling xc, trail and all-mountain was just mountain biking or cross country when I started riding.

    We used to race cross country races because it was fun, and got us out to different trail systems. In those days, xc races were not road races on packed dirt. We loved charging up hills so we could fly down the hills. If there were bumps or jumps that we could catch air on, better. Our bikes were built light, and so were we. We did this all on what people would call xc race bikes today. We didn't make excuses for not doing things because of our equipment - we too busy riding the hell out of everything & having fun.

    The categorization is pretty simple to me.

    1. If you're riding on trails, putting in miles up & down, you're doing cross country. There are a wide range of bikes that can do this. Yes, XC racing today is a different animal, but it's all the same sh*t.

    2. If you are gravity oriented, and tend to hike or chairlift up trails to bomb down, that's downhill. Again, a wide variety of bikes for this.

    There are other specializations like, trials & jumping but whatever.

    Don't believe the hype. It's all about having fun.

  25. #25
    usually cranky
    Reputation: b-kul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    9,927
    all mountain aka xc aka trail aka mountain biking.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •