spec4life???..smh...

Decisions, Decisions

Well folks I know there has been a lot of these which bike threads on here lately but here it goes anyway.

So im looking to do my first build and want to do an AM bike. However, I need a bike that climbs as well as it descends. To steal mavics words, a Cross-Mountain bike.

Anyway Iv been looking at a few bikes and have narrowed it down to the ol faithful heckler or the Enduro SL. I want to slap a talas 36 on either one so i can extend it out for the rough stuff or down for climbing. I know the heckler has a bit steeper HA than the Enduro but the 09 enduro expert claims 27 lbs .

So which one will give me the climbing ability as well as downhill performance. Thanks for the help guys.

There's no app for this.

No answer here but

the Enduro comes w/ a Talas 150mm now, and the 32 has the new 15mm front axle, so not sure why one would want to sell that off or trade at purchase for a 36 Talas 20mm axle which is likely not a whole lot stiffer, and has only 10mm more travel but weighs in at 2/3 of a pound more? Mind you, then you'd only be at 27.8 lb. The Heckler you can build up or chose that fork at build.

I can't tell you one way or the other, but unless you're doing serious DH/FR then the stock Talas should do you fine on the Enduro, IMHO.

Can you get your hands on a test Enduro? Specialized has test rides here and there, check their website for test centres.

I've always loved the Heckler, and also the Enduro as I've had both in the past; they are both such good choices I think only a good solid ride on each one will help you really decide.

Good luck, Jim

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Well, those are two completely different bikes. While I've never been on a Heckler, I've rode a little on an 08 Enduro SL. I wasn't that impressed, but that may have had more to do with the Spesh fork than anything. I really can't elaborate, as I just didn't spend that much time on it.
    Are you open to other options? There's plenty of other bikes that may be better suited to what you want. What's your price ceiling?

spec4life???..smh...
    Sorry I wasnt clear enough. If I go the enduro route I would be buying a year or so old frame to build up myself.

Also im planning to do a used build and wait for good bargains on stuff on ebay or something. So i was hopeing to keep it under 2500

thanks guys