Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Dawes Roundhouse 2500

A little about me before I talk about the bike. If your bored with the context of my purchase move on!!
    I am 38 yrs old but started riding when I was 25. I ride hard and love everything about mountain biking. The last bike I bought (which was right before I got married) was a DBR XR-4 which cost about $1700 after tax. Not top of the line but not bad. I rode it really hard for about 4 yrs before completely rebuilding it for longer travel (I love air and hit every jump possible that can be encountered in XC). Fast foward to today and the bike is gone and I have four kids. Cant ride as often as I like and I work in Pastoral Ministries which should quickly indicate my lack of funds compared to former days. My wife bought me a wallmart bike $200 Mongoose XR200. She had a big smile when she walked in the door and although I recognized that this bike was a cheapo I appreciated her attempt and kept it. The second light duty ride it saw (gravel road) the entire deraileur ripped of and wound up in the spokes. Back to wallmart and got a refund. I convinced my wife to let me save and a few hundred to the pot which gave me $500. That's right $500!!! That's it!

After some research I realized that I could get a nice used hardtail or take my chances with a new full suspension. I'm sorry but once you get used to a fully you can't go hardtail, especially if you like small trips through the air.

After much research and a lot of itchiness to ride I decided on the Dawes from bikes direct. Got it within four days and plan on riding this friday. THe bike looks well built and has great components for the price. I prefer a beefy frame but this bikes frame is more knife shaped. the top and bottom tube are more oval to egg shaped (looking streight down). Wish it was more width wise but hey it's just different. Paint is flawless and welds are awsome. I'm 5'10.5 and weigh 165. I will post a review next week as it seems it is near impossible to find feedback on this model. maybe I can be of some help!

SPECSFront der. Deore
    Rear der. SLX
    Shifters. Alivio 8spd
    Cranks. Truvativ isoflow compact triple
    BB. Truvativ power spline sealed
    Front forks. Rockshox Dart 2 100mm w lockout
    Rear shock. KS 850lb coil w lockout (Garbage?)
    Rims. WTB speed disc (bomb proof?)
    Hubs. Quando disc sealed (?)
    Headset. Cane Creek Aheadset
    Weight. 34.7lbs but hey not 40lbs

As I got it below

Its got what plants crave
    The frame itself reminds me of a few other Taiwanese kit frames that are bought and sold by other manufacturers like Price Point, KHS, or others. I think if you can save up the scratch to buy a better rear shock it will ride pretty well. In my experience 4 bar bikes are basic and ride well if you can learn to spin efficiently and realize that out of saddle efforts will not be efficient. Anyway, it has a pretty budget 8 speed drivetrain, but at least you've got a solid base to start upgrading from in the future as you break stuff or wear things out.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Thanks

I appreciate the feedback...I know I wont be doing major drops or anyuthing with it so we will wee how it goes. Yeah my last bike was 9speed and I really liked that. Other than that I hope she holds up or I'll be scratching my head saying why didnt I wait another six months and double the spending budget. For now I am happy...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Smile Update

Well, I had a chance to put the bike through its paces this weekend. Nothing extreme though so this will be a developing assessment. So far, the frame seems solid. The bike tracks well and has a nice nimble feel to it! Wish it was 9speed but eight works fine for now. I went through the whole bike and tuned the shifters before riding. The front deraaluer was mounted too high on the seat tube and the rear was totally out of wack! They work flawless now and I also took apart every suspension pivot and greesed them. There wasnt a drop of greese in any of these and I would imagine as such they would wear out quickly. So if any body buys this bike then grease pivots FIRST!!! I also had to adjust the disks too as they rubbed out of the box. I really like the bike and look foward to hitting some jumps to see how it reacts. I will give more feedback then. Oh one thing...all the cables are routed underneath the top tube which is terrible if you have to put the bike on a trunk rack! The rack will push them up against the tube and chaff and possible wear...i dont know. Fork mount no problem!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    First off congratulations on getting back into MT biking. I own several Bike direct bikes and also other brands. Compared to anything Walmart has the Dawes is much better quality, that being said it is also bottom of the line when it comes to FS bikes. So it’s heavy, has rather cheap components, and will not take tons of abuse, but it's also not going to fall apart either.
    The frame appears very solid and will likely hold-up well. Greasing the pivot as you already did about twice a year will help it last. You may also want to grease the BB and headset as they probably were not greased either. The parts that will likely wear out quickly will be wheels and fork, but they may also be just fine depending on your weight and how hard you ride – My wife’s Moto HT300 is still going strong after 4 years, but she is all of 120lbs and doesn’t ride hard.

Enjoy the bike and just upgrade as things break…
    26FS & 29Rigid... best of both worlds

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I'd like to know how this bike is working out for you. I know most people here like HT's for this price range but I really can't see any terrible components on this bike for the price. Honestly I can't find too many HT's with better parts for the same price except for the Forge Sawback 5xx. I'm really starting to lean towards either this one or the Motobecane 600DS.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Great Bike

I really can't complain at all. It is definately worth the price and once tuned shifters and everything work flawless. I am 5' 10.5" and bought a small/medium. A large would have worked fine too but the smaller one feels nimble without feeling cramped but if you are any taller then me I would suggest a large.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Kluckycoocoo
    I really can't complain at all. It is definately worth the price and once tuned shifters and everything work flawless. I am 5' 10.5" and bought a small/medium. A large would have worked fine too but the smaller one feels nimble without feeling cramped but if you are any taller then me I would suggest a large.
    Thanks for the input. From what I've read here, I've been almost talked out of the lower priced DS bikes from BD. They say there's a pogo stick like ride and lack of suspension travel on bikes like the 400-700 series and Dawes DS bikes from BD. Have you noticed any of this?

Blue Pig
    Rear shock. KS 850lb coil w lockout (Garbage?)
    Yes. I rode a Motobecane and it has a stupid 750 lbs spring... **** is stiff and I'm pushing 190 lbs.
    I give positive rep all around but then I get negative rep from all the clowns.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

850lb Spring

The Roundhouse has an 850lb spring and i have not noticed tremendous pogo-sticking! I will say however that the rear shock is nothing to promote. It could definately use an upgrade. A decent shock on the rear would certainly be a plus.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

And...

With that said...I come from a full suspension background and a hardtail just aint for me. I would rather compromize some in a few areas than pedal a hardtail for the very reason the name implies. hardtail...hard landing... hardtail...weak knees... hardtail...i'm getting older... and so on and so on! For the hardtail purists have at it...I can't say one is better than the other. But I can say whats better for me!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Congrats on the new bike.

I have a 2200 which has served it purpose quite well. I use it as a comfort bike to go back and fourth to the gym. I also use it as a loaner bike so my out of town friends have something to ride.

I did upgrade the rear shock with a Fox RP23. Probably more shock than I needed, but for $150 used on ebay it was well worth it. Plus I sold the stock shock on ebay for $25, so the Fox shock ended up costing $125. The KS shock that came with the bike was IMHO was not suited for the bike. It was way too stiff and short. I'm 170lbs and I could barley make the shock move. The RP23 I replaced it with is a 7.5" eye to eye and increased the rear travel to 4.5" which equals the front now.

I may eventually upgrade the front shock as the stock suntour shock doesn't have much of a quality rebound. It's very "springy".

My overall experience with bikesdirect has been great. This was my 2nd bikesdirect purchase (first was a haymaker). The right shifter lever was broken on the Roundhouse right out of the box and bikesdirect had a new shifter shipped out the next day. Their customer support has pretty decent in all my dealings with them. Not sure why they get so much flack on the forums.

Here are some pics with the Fox rear shock

Last edited by Medpilot; 04-06-2011 at 09:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    QUOTE]After much research and a lot of itchiness to ride I decided on the Dawes from bikes direct.[/QUOTE]

congrats on the new bike. i myself purchased one off BD. the roundhouse 2200. my first "real" mtb so to say i'm 27 now and had wally world bikes while i was growing up (thanks mom). and i must say its like night and day compared to what i had. love everything about it. there will be future upgrades happening so yes.. please keep me informed. i will mention tho.. while a buddy of mine was going through the bike he noticed a shimano mega 9 derailuer when the cassette is an 8 ring (future 9 spd cassette upgrade??) and the rear tire was installed backwards. might wanna check those things out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Still love it!!!

I took the bike out on some nice trails over the weekend and cant complain at all. tracks nice and no pogoing up and down. Cought some air a few times and no bottoming out! Climbs nice too....

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    thank you for the review! i have been trying to decide between this model and the gravity fsx 3.0
    i had somewhat strayed away from considering a BD bike, but this has brought me back to them!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    thanks for the reviews guys, i think i'm going to get the same :-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blksocks
    Yes. I rode a Motobecane and it has a stupid 750 lbs spring... **** is stiff and I'm pushing 190 lbs.
    I'm thinking about buying a 2200 model and I have also been worried about an overly stiff spring. I noticed in the close-up photos that there appear to be two sets of holes to choose from when mounting the shock at the top. The holes it comes mounted in look like they would result in a stiffer ride. Moving it back to the holes closer to the seat tube would (I think) make the ride noticeably softer. Can anyone who has one confirm that this is possible? I've only seen the pictures, but it looks like they give you different mounting options as a way of accommodating different riders and riding styles.

You could also swap the 850lb shock for a 750lb or lower. Or you could get a cheap Rock Shox Bar air shock from Ebay. I have one on another bike and it's great. The advantage of the coil is that it has lockout at an entry-level price and its petty unlikely to fail in a way that would make the bike more difficult to ride (like an air shock).

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for the reviews!!! I am trying to decide between the Roundhouse and a Scott Aspect 30 (I too like FS better and would rather stick with another FS than switch to the HT Aspect but I am still really if-y on the Roundhouse) So i will be sure to check back for another updated review before making the final decision! Ps does the Roundhouse feel bulky at all? I know you said it feels nimble, but it does look like a somewhat heavy bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    im very satisfied with my dawes 2200. im 5'6 so i bought the 17in frame. note that the 17in frame does not have the upper triangle seat post gusset or the second hole for rear shock positioning. i've had the bike for almost 3 months now and didnt noticed any stiffness or pogo effect from the rear shock. it is a 850lb rate spring thinking it would be stiff as hell right? i weigh 140 and been doing some fast pace trail riding and landing on the bike with this spring i.m.o.o. is very plush. i removed the rear shock and checked stiffness there and its pretty firm also. i made my decision to stay with the rear shock til its time for a new one now as for the suntour fork im not very impressed. lockouts cool but when it comes to function and reliability it fails in this department. it tends to bottom out. when riding through some rough rock gardens the fork compresses fine but when returning to "rest" position it makes a popping noise. i thought adjusting preload would make a differance but no change there. didnt even notice a change in stifness. weight wise well.. it aint carbon fiber light but it also doesnt weigh a ton. i would say its fairly moderate. still controlable through the trails. it can be weighed down with lighter components to your liking but as for a bone stock bike its pretty good. climbing with dawes kinda sucks tho. with a 11-30 8spd cassette i recommend swapping it out. some inclines are managable thans others but overall the gearing could use some work. i have a hard time tracking the bike on the trails sometimes. i've tried different tire pressures and some days are better than others. overall i think the dawes FS is a great bike and for what it is as it stands. like with any bike, any build, and any up grade, a bike will be better fit than others. with some attention to low points on the dawes like a different drive train, a different fork, and some low rolling resistant tires it can be an awesome FS bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

my dawes 2200 17in frame

mtbr member
    That was very helpful rayray808! I weigh almost 180 so I don't think I'd have any trouble with the rear shock being too stiff.

Good to know about the Suntour being a POS. I kinda thought so. I'll be bringing a used Dart 3 home with me from China this summer so I'll probably swap it out. The Dart sucks bad in the winer (goes totally rigid in the cold) but it's fine in the summer, especially now that it's broken in well. I'll only be riding the Dawes in the summers. Maybe I can take the Suntour back to China with me and use it on a black loaner bike I have that needs a fork.

Interesting observations on the gearing. you experienced exactly what I thought I'd find. Here's what I planned to do about it. I have an extra 34T cog lying around from a worn cassette I took apart. The 11-30T 8 speed has all of the same gears as a 9 speed 11-34T except for the 34T cog. I'm going to take apart the 8 speed cassette, chunk the 11T first position cog and the 13T middle position cog and add the 34T from the 9 speed and a 13T first position from ebay. That should give me the same as a 11-34T 9 speed without the 11T high gear. I think that's a good option for you too if you can find someone who has an old 34T cog they can part with. Unfortunately that seems to be about the only size you can't buy individually from Shimano. Never found one anyway.

You don't like the tires? I've never had those, but I think lots of people like the Velociraptors. I have a set of Conti. Speed King 2.3's I was planing on putting on and selling the new Velociraptors on Craigs List.

If you want a low rolling resistance tire you might want to look at Maxxis Crossmarks. I have a set on my China bike and they're great for rolling resistance. You loose a little in traction though, but that's the way it goes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Shimano-Ultegra-...item27b6adbd46

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I was a little nervous about purchasing a FS MB from bikesdirect after reading posts and blogs from this site and others. I compared ($499 with free shipping) to other bikes with the same components, and they were all way more money. I am a beginner mountain biker, so I couldn't justify spending $1000plus on my first bike. I "took a chance" on the Dawes Roundhouse 2500 from bikesdirect.com about 2 weeks ago and couldn't be happier. On the 50ish miles I have ridden my new bike, it has shown me I'm not in as good of shape as I thought I was, but the bike has been flawless. The bike took about a week to get to me. Once it arrived, it took me about 2 hours to put it together and tune it up. Like the original poster Kluckycoocoo, my back tire was on backwards also, the front and rear derailleurs were way out of adjustment, but the youtube video links they send you walk you right through the adjustments. The front and rear brakes calipers were not centered and the pads rubbed pretty bad, but easy to adjust following the directions provided in the box. The rear shock is a bit stiff and I plan to upgrade as soon as I figure out which shocks will fit (any suggestions?) I like the lock out when riding on the road, then flip a lever and full suspension for the trails...best of both worlds if you ask me. The pedals suck and hurt my feet, so I have already upgraded to some CrankBrothers 50 50's.... way better. I love this bike, for the price, my riding level, and the quality components that come on the bike, I couldn't be more pleased with my purchase. I had no issues with bikesdirect. I'm sure with the 1000's of bikes they sell, there are going to be a few unhappy customers. Now, after reading this thread, I guess I should grease the rear suspension pivots. L8r

mtbr member

Shock suggestions

Look at your bike and the photo I have attached here. See if your bike has the hole I have circled on the photo. I've only seen pics of the bike, but it looks from the pics like you could move the shock's top mount position back to this other hole. I think that would soften the ride a lot. If your bike has that hole try it and see what happens and let us know.

You can also adjust the preload on the shock by unscrewing the big adjusting nut, but you've probably already tried that.

Lots of cheap bikes use similar springs and a bike shop or someone else may have another spring you can try. 750lbs is one of the more common types and yours is an 850lb. If you can find one to swap it with (and many are interchangeable) then that would help. By swapping the spring I mean taking the shock apart and replacing the coil spring only. You'd keep your lockout.

Another option is to get an air shock. I have a Rock Shox Bar 2.1. I was really suspicious of it when I bought the bike, but it has been flawless and is like riding on a sofa. You can adjust the rebound but there's no lockout/propedal stuff. I have it set pretty soft but I still don't get noticeable pedal bob as long as I'm seated. I have a Kona Four which has suspension geometry that is similar to yours. You can get a Bar 2.1 on ebay for under $100, sometimes even under $50 used. Just make sure you get the right size.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dawes Roundhouse 2500-img_4096.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Suggestions?

I too have been checking out roundhouse 2500. I have a 29'r hardtail that works great for most rides, but I want to get a 2nd bike with FS for the tighter switchbacks (26" wheels) & some resort riding. Price is a big factor for me too; I'd like to keep it in the $500 range if possible. I'm 6' and 195 lbs so I'd take the large but I definatly don't want a pogo stick. I have a hard enough time getting to the top as it is (thats why I ride a hardtail) so I'm interested to hear how efficient this is for climbing (or any other suggestions for a good FS all mountain bike).

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Any suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by SLCBKR22 View Post
    I too have been checking out roundhouse 2500. I have a 29'r hardtail that works great for most rides, but I want to get a 2nd bike with FS for the tighter switchbacks (26" wheels) & some resort riding. Price is a big factor for me too; I'd like to keep it in the $500 range if possible. I'm 6' and 195 lbs so I'd take the large but I definatly don't want a pogo stick. I have a hard enough time getting to the top as it is (thats why I ride a hardtail) so I'm interested to hear how efficient this is for climbing (or any other suggestions for a good FS all mountain bike).

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
    I am new to biking, but I am 6' and 220 lbs. I got the 19" and it is almost too big (1" standover). As far as it pogoing uphills, it doesn't. The rear shock is so stiff, it almost feels like a hard tail unless you hit some big bumps. Plus both front and rear have "lock out" that works awesome. I have replaced the rear shock with an air shock (with pro pedal) and it is a little cushier. For a $500 FS bike, you can't go wrong with this one.Get it and you won't be disapointed, but be prepared for the extra FS weight (about 33 lbs).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast