Thread: Damn Kids

mtbr member

Damn Kids

but don't tell my wife I said that. We have our fist baby on the way, which I am very excited about, but I just took a pay cut to not travel for work anymore. So I can no longer justify buying lift tickets to ride my Specialized BigHit. I need a more all around bike.

My Choices are an 07 Specialized Enduro Elite (Very little changes from the 06)

An 06 Giant Reign2

Or a Reign frame running a Fox Float RP3 and Marzocchi 66RC2X (or trying to trade that out for an Marzocchi AM something) and built with Hayes Mags 8" rotors front and rear Sun Single track rims, XT rear derailleur LX shifters/front derailleur, Truvativ something cranks with 22-32 bashring thompson stem and seat post and specialized riser bars.

It will see rocky trail riding, occasional lift served days at places like mountain creek in NJ. Not drops larger the 5-6 feet and the occasional table top with a nice tranny. But will be my main trail riding bike.

mtbr member
    Reign. They pedal amazingly well, but soak up anything you can throw at them. Great bikes for a good price.

ride hard take risks
    Yup will have to agree the Reign is a sweet bike but dont for get the Versus Blitz.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Giant and specialized are the brands I can employee purchase so those are my only two options. Some one in another forum suggested Enduro SX trail frame built just like the reign frame would be. so that is also a consideration

ride hard take risks
    Reign it is

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    As long as you don't mind the weight, I like the SX trails. They can be made lighter, and are set up for more abuse. If you are keeping the Big hit, then I would go for the regular Enduro series. I like the Expert, but it is quite a bit more even with EP pricing I would think.

VooDoo user.
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    Yup will have to agree the Reign is a sweet bike but dont for get the Versus Blitz.
    Versus should be paying you some sort of commision. You are always putting out the word.

They do make sick bikes.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by moment
    Versus should be paying you some sort of commision. You are always putting out the word.

They do make sick bikes.
    They went to CrankWorkzthis year & got some awsome feedback from the Canadian FR's.

Ride on
    Jan 2004
    The Enduro is a better frame and rear shock combo IMHO but the Fox Float fork is not a good choice for your needs. The 66 that comes with your custom Reign build is a better fit. I would get the Enduro if I could get a beefier fork. Otherwise the custom Reign looks like the best package.

I have read that the Enduro SX Trail weighs 35-40 pounds. That is on the heavy side for a trail bike. My buddies with 35+ pound bikes really work hard to clean regular trail climbs. If you are in excellent shape and really hit the downhills hard then the Enduro SX is a good fit.

mtbr member
    Aww crap, I was at the Giant rep's 07 shpeal last night and to throw gas on the fire they are coming out with a Reign X, basically the same idea as the Enduro SX trail. The enduro is out, so its either an 06 reign frame (There are very few changes for the 07 frame) or the Enduro SX trail or the Reign X.
    Disclaimer: I no longer fix bikes for a living.
    National Ski Patroller to feed my winter habit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dwnhlldav
    Aww crap, I was at the Giant rep's 07 shpeal last night and to throw gas on the fire they are coming out with a Reign X.

Details man, when, when, when??????

mtbr member
    It's in the 07 line, not sure on availability though. I no we are seeing the low end 07 stuff now in the store from specialized and Giant.
    Disclaimer: I no longer fix bikes for a living.
    National Ski Patroller to feed my winter habit.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Aww crap, I was at the Giant rep's 07 shpeal last night and to throw gas on the fire they are coming out with a Reign X, basically the same idea as the Enduro SX trail. The enduro is out, so its either an 06 reign frame (There are very few changes for the 07 frame) or the Enduro SX trail or the Reign X.

Thats what I was gonna say... wait for the new Reign, I think its supposed to be 6.7" travel and room for a piggyback shock. Not sure when its supposed to come out, though.

Trade the rc2x for a 66 sl for the travel adjust. I'm very happy with my '06 Boxxer Ride, but I'd rather have a 66 sl to save some weight. I could live with the sl set at 150-160 for almost everything, then out to 170 for lift served riding.

The rc2x would look real nice on a Faith if you can keep the weight down enough. Theyre supposed to pedal really well.

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

AussieLostInNyc
    It's in the 07 line, not sure on availability though. I no we are seeing the low end 07 stuff now in the store from specialized and Giant.
    I am in the same boat. I need a do everything bike and had the SX trail in mind until I went to EP and they said they don't have an XL despite the stats being in the 07 book.
    I rode a large enduro expert at Diablo and Platty and hit porch drop and all the others without any problems or wear and tear on the bike and used it for trail riding.. just wanted something a little burlier. I am 180 plus gear 6'4"
    Now I need a bike before end of sept to do Whiteface road trip and other places.
    Was thinking the 07 Bighit 3 because of the EP price and then a second frame for trail riding and 5-6 drops that pedals. Where am I going with this ramble??
    How big are you and can you pedal the bighit around like a trail bike if needed?
    www.nycmtb.com
    .....spreading the love

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The Versus Blitz is a nice frame, but what makes it so expensive? I could be wrong but their site says $1399. Is it lighter or stronger than others? I'm just not sure why some frames are more expensive than others when there seems to be no obvious reason for it. Thanks.
    Last edited by Riz_Aaroni; 08-15-2006 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Typo

29er Geek
    Kids ROCK!

Spent all morning dicing up Mt A in York and then Plunked my son into the trailed and popped down to the beach....

Kids are worth it!

Congrats!!!
    RJ
    unityhandbuilt

Action Sports Trader

I hope so

I hope a versus is as good as you say. I just bought one.

Sam
    eflattenstomach
    The best FREE home fitness workshop!! Get free meal plans, workout plans and more. Click HERE to get ripped.

Action Sports Trader

Expensive?

I hope your not serious. I got a Versus blitz II with a DHX Air shipped to my door for $1400. That is a great price as far as I'm concerened.

Sam
    Quote Originally Posted by Riz_Aaroni
    The Versus Blitz is a nice frame, but what makes it so expensive? I could be wrong but their site says $1399. Is it lighter or stronger than others? I'm just not sure why some frames are more expensive than others when there seems to be no obvious reason for it. Thanks.
    eflattenstomach
    The best FREE home fitness workshop!! Get free meal plans, workout plans and more. Click HERE to get ripped.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I am very serious. I would like to know what makes it $1400. Looks are one thing, but what am I missing? Not to be offensive, but shrinks in your sig is spelled wrong.

Action Sports Trader

High tech

The blitz II is the only bike that is using needle bearings, which are more latterally stiff. They have also incorporated grease post so you can lube up the bike any time. The geometry is spot on, and the standover is very low. This all leads to the perfect bike for me. That's not much considering my 6.6 cost me $2100 and my VP-Free cost me $1800.

SAm
    I am very serious. I would like to know what makes it $1400. Looks are one thing, but what am I missing? Not to be offensive, but shrinks in your sig is spelled wrong.
    eflattenstomach

ride hard take risks
    We allz slpez wrong som timz.

Frames like the Versus, Banshee, Transition, Turner, Yeti, Canfield & the list goes on are priced the way they are because it cost money to do the R&D, testing, fabrication for testing, fabrication, bearings or busings, adds, web sites, customer service, welders once again the list goes on alot of people want to get paid for there labor & parts that make a frame. You can buy a $200 frame if that is what pleases you, it might just be perfect for the riding you do.

Formerly DMR For Life
    get the Giant Reign X and throw a 2007 66 RC2ETA on there and you'll be a happy camper

DMR

the goose is loose!
    reign frame build

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks for the clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by samanderson4
    The blitz II is the only bike that is using needle bearings, which are more latterally stiff. They have also incorporated grease post so you can lube up the bike any time. The geometry is spot on, and the standover is very low. This all leads to the perfect bike for me. That's not much considering my 6.6 cost me $2100 and my VP-Free cost me $1800.

SAm