Thread: Custom Wheelset

Paste eater

Custom Wheelset

Been shopping around for a new wheel set and this what I came up with at Universal Cycles... Just wanted to get some feedback from some folks that are little more knowledgeable about hardware application and performance.

At any rate, I'm ~180llbs and most of riding would be classified as "trailriding" i suppose -- bumps and jumps are fun but I'm really not a freerider. The wheelset is for my Jamis XLT.

Paste eater
    Front - DT Swiss EX 5.1d Rim-26"
    Shimano HB-M765 XT Center Lock Front Disc Hub

Rear - DT Swiss EX 5.1d Rim-26"
    Shimano FH-M765 XT Rear Disc Hub

DT Swiss Revolution Butted Spokes - 2.0-1.5mm Silver
    Alloy Nipples - Blue 12mm

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind
    Been shopping around for a new wheel set and this what I came up with at Universal Cycles... Just wanted to get some feedback from some folks that are little more knowledgeable about hardware application and performance.

At any rate, I'm ~180llbs and most of riding would be classified as "trailriding" i suppose -- bumps and jumps are fun but I'm really not a freerider. The wheelset is for my Jamis XLT.
    Question is really how much you looking to spend? I suppose you are looking at a custom built wheelset... but not quite sure if you meant to have some link or more info in your post. In general, the guys at Universal Cycles are fairly good to do business with and wheelset build are good from what I've heard.

-sus13

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by sus13
    Question is really how much you looking to spend?

-sus13
    ya, sorry took me a bit to get the build posted...

Oh, So Interesting!
    You could go with a front hub that converts to 20mm if you forsee a fork upgrade...

I'd spend more on a rear hub, the engagement on XTs does not feel as good as others...

I just built my first wheel, it survived a good thrashing yestersday...

If you want to save $, look at Mavic F519s. I saw 'em for $29 recently online, they are non-UST, same weight as the 819s. They have great reviews on this site. I'm almost 200 lbs, the front stays true, the rear needs a little tweaking now and then. The DTs are (I think) a little wider, so it depends on what size tires you prefer. I've had the F519s for a while, running 2.4 Mutanos, and I'd prefer a slightly wider rim.
    Last edited by davec113; 06-19-2006 at 09:34 AM.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by davec113
    You could go with a front hub that converts to 20mm if you forsee a fork upgrade...

I'd spend more on a rear hub, the engagement on XTs does not feel as good as others...

I just built my first wheel, it survived a good thrashing yestersday...
    No on the For upgrade. I'm Happy with my Vanilla RLC. I would be intersted in spending a little more on rear hub per noticeable performance. Any recommendations?

I've also been thinking about go the Mavic XM819 UST route instead of the DT's...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind
    Front - DT Swiss EX 5.1d Rim-26"
    Shimano HB-M765 XT Center Lock Front Disc Hub

Rear - DT Swiss EX 5.1d Rim-26"
    Shimano FH-M765 XT Rear Disc Hub

DT Swiss Revolution Butted Spokes - 2.0-1.5mm Silver
    Alloy Nipples - Blue 12mm

Ooops... there it is.

Good choice of rims... but go for heavier spokes/nippes and lighter hubs.

For your weight and intended purpose, I would recommend DT Competition (2.0/1.8/2.0) spokes with brass nipples. Revolution spokes are too flexy and alloy nipples are not very strong, though they come in cool colors.

If you are going with a custom wheelbuild, don't sell yourself short with those XT boat anchors. Go for something like Hope Pro2 hubs which use cartridge sealed bearings, convertible front hub, and are much lighter and superior performance-wise compared to XT hubs.

-sus13

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Jenson Usa.

They have HOPE XC hubs (from experience these have WAY better engagement than the XTs, and are sealed bearing, and they are lighter.)

Jenson sells the 5.1s, and they have the HopeXC hubs in blue. I echo the recommendation for a milder double butting on the spokes (actually recommend straight guage, they stay true longer) and brass nips. Jenson doesn;t charge for the build itself, and they were right on for questions, and quality.

I got Hope XC to 5.1d w/ straight guage black spokes and black brass nips. Cost was around $430. (COULD GET IT AROUND $400 W/ SILVER STRAIGHT SPOKES AND SILVER NIPS).

Check them out before you pull the trigger. Mine came in around 2100g for straight guage spokes, and brass nips. (with alloy nips which they do have, and doublebutted spokes you can get them around 2000g +/- 25 grams)

BTW, I am also riding an XLT.
    Last edited by mp29k; 06-19-2006 at 12:09 PM.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by mp29k
    They have HOPE XC hubs (from experience these have WAY better engagement than the XTs, and are sealed bearing, and they are lighter.)

Jenson sells the 5.1s, and they have the HopeXC hubs in blue. I echo the recommendation for a milder double butting on the spokes (actually recommend straight guage, they stay true longer) and brass nips. Jenson doesn;t charge for the build itself, and they were right on for questions, and quality.

I got Hope XC to 5.1d w/ straight guage black spokes and black brass nips. Cost was around $430. (COULD GET IT AROUND $400 W/ SILVER STRAIGHT SPOKES AND SILVER NIPS).

Check them out before you pull the trigger. Mine came in around 2100g for straight guage spokes, and brass nips. (with alloy nips which they do have, and doublebutted spokes you can get them around 2000g +/- 25 grams)

With:
    XM819's
    Hope XC's
    Brass nips (UST)
    DT Swiss Competition Butted Spokes

or

DT Swiss EX 5.1d
    Hope XC's
    Brass nips
    DT Swiss Competition Butted Spokes

I don't want to spend more than 500 bucks...

Oh, So Interesting!
    The dts are 5mm wider (28mm). I guess it depends on what tires you want to run... I'd prefer a wider rim than the 819s, the 823s are a good option, but a bit heavier, and are 30mm wide. dt might be the way to go if you don't want UST. Otherwise I'd go 823 and sacrafice weight for stregnth and width...

As far as hubs, I have an xt rear (24 ratchet points), and would not re-use it if I build myself a new rear. I'm not sure whats good with mid-priced hubs, I'm planning on investing in a Hadley rear when the time comes (108 ratchet points!!!). Hadley/823 combo, mmmmm....

The Hadley rear is a bit over $200, I think its a good investment. I did not buy an expensive front hub when I built my new front wheel a few days ago. Maybe thats a good compromise if you want to keep to a budget....

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by davec113

As far as hubs, I have an xt rear (24 ratchet points), and would not re-use it if I build myself a new rear. I'm not sure whats good with mid-priced hubs, I'm planning on investing in a Hadley rear when the time comes (108 ratchet points!!!). Hadley/823 combo, mmmmm....

The Hadley rear is a bit over $200, I think its a good investment. I did not buy an expensive front hub when I built my new front wheel a few days ago. Maybe thats a good compromise if you want to keep to a budget....

Replace the rear hub with a "Hadley 108 Point Engagement QR Disc Rear Hub"

and I get $546.97 and somehow I'm still thinking about it...