mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Custom 12mm stepdown to 10mm axle for my stumpy ?

So i am getting a new frame which isnt 12mm axle like my hub (hadley sdh) and i dont really want to get rid of it so i was wondering if i where get a new axle made that went from 12mm to 10mm would that work ?

ps i have looked at getting conversions but they are quite expensive and you need special tools to disassemble the hadley hub *sigh*

Many thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Is your hub a 12mm through-axle? You should be able to use any 12mm to 10mm step-down axle, they are like $30 or so. I have one from Azonic, Hadley makes one too. You can call Hadley and ask, they are supposed to be super helpful with customer service.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    awesome thanks but unfortunately getting one in the uk is proving to be problematic

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Azonic Momentum Axle 12mm X 135mm | Azonic

Shipping from US will be expensive for sure but it's an option at least.

This is the first time I have looked for something at Chain Reaction UK and not found it! Not even Superstar has one, and they make the things. Good luck-

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    I have a few ideas... What is the exact spec of the Hadley hub (12mm x ???) and what is the spec of the frame you are getting?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Its a hadley 12x135mm and its going on an 2009 stumpy but i have found a nukeproof axle which is basically the same as the azonic but in the UK

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudolf Böhmer View Post
    Its a hadley 12x135mm and its going on an 2009 stumpy but i have found a nukeproof axle which is basically the same as the azonic but in the UK
    So the stumpy is a QR rear then? Something like this would work, but the seller is in the US:

Mountain Bike 12mm thru Axle to Standard 5mm Quick Release Wheel Adapter | eBay

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Nope, you don't *need* the Hadley tools. I've had Hadleys for years, have done many axle swaps without their tools.

A decent pin spanner will work, and the oddball 21mm wrench is easy - I picked up a cheapy 20mm somewhere years ago and ground it open to 21mm.

And you'll be much happier in the long run if you get the actual Hadley bits - these guys have always been great when I've needed parts.

Hadley SDH Rear Conversion Kits & Parts ? Balle Racing Mountain Bike Parts & Tools
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Scrublover im sure i will be happier but i just dont have the money for actual hadley parts right now

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kwarwick View Post
    So the stumpy is a QR rear then? Something like this would work, but the seller is in the US:

Mountain Bike 12mm thru Axle to Standard 5mm Quick Release Wheel Adapter | eBay
    He can ship to UK though for just $9.45...