mtbr member
    Dec 2017

Curious about depreciation on bicycles

I have enough money in my bank to buy this bike that was recommended for me. Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Gravity 29Point4 29er Mountain Bikes

Lets say 2 years down the road, I'm ready for a new mountain bike. And lets say I kept this bike in good condition I always serviced the parts when its needed, and kept it mostly free of rust. How much could I sell this for?

I am really thinking about buying this, but I also was thinking of possibly looking around for a used bike thats a good deal then after I've had my fun over the year or more then re sell it for maybe $20 less than what I paid or so.

Trying to make the best decision possible since this is all the money I have.

Bikesexual
    For what I've learned, bikes depreciate very quickly, I think in 2 yrs you might get $400.00 tops?

Don't over think it, that is a solid ride for a few years, and you can make it yours along the way.

Plus, is always good to have a back up bike. ....in a few years.

mtbr member
    I think it's best not to think about it.

Keep you old bike for a friend to use and you never have to worry about it.

IN REALITY, the stuff wears out so fast if used regularly, it's more "worn out" than "depreciated". A 2 yr old bikes needs all new parts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by John445 View Post
    I have enough money in my bank to buy this bike that was recommended for me. Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Gravity 29Point4 29er Mountain Bikes

Lets say 2 years down the road, I'm ready for a new mountain bike. And lets say I kept this bike in good condition I always serviced the parts when its needed, and kept it mostly free of rust. How much could I sell this for?

I am really thinking about buying this, but I also was thinking of possibly looking around for a used bike thats a good deal then after I've had my fun over the year or more then re sell it for maybe $20 less than what I paid or so.

It's a good deal on a bike that may last some time and to get into the sport.

Not knowing what style or kind of riding you will be doing.

But in 2 years it won't be worth much. No clue on to if that company will still be up and growing or if they have a sale again like you are getting now.
    Lot's of factors to take in for it
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I'm stuck between trails, and enduro.

mtbr member

Stuff from bikes duh rect is worth 50% of what you paid once you sign the receiving papers from the delivery company.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Buy used. Tons of silly good deals out there. Resale will hurt. Take advantage of that fact and be the guy on the best end of that deal.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Is this Atroz comp 2016 used a good deal for $700? its a 30 minute drive from me, and he is only taking $700 for it.

mtbr member
    After spending a crap load of money on a bike with no warranty, and only lasted 6yrs of racing.(Broke frame in four places) I had custom bikes built in titanium with rolloff hubs. Both have lifetime warranties. already know I will never need another bike. My daughter will inherit some nice bikes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    The whole bike has a lifetime warranty? I'd definitely invest into one of those when I'm finished with school and working.

mtbr member
    Fames have lifetime warranty....Its been ten yrs and just replace tires and chains, change the oil in hub. Oh and I got new pulleys for chain tensioner. Rode all three bikes this week, CX, road, and mtb. I did replace berings in ti BB that I bought in 1995.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by ladljon View Post
    already know I will never need another bike.
    Wish I had a nickel for every time Iíve said that.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You would be lucky to sell that bike for $400 after a year. Very lucky.

The list price they have on that is total BS. No way it could ever sell for $2k.

Where are you located, how tall are you & what do you want to spend on a used bike?

With a little patience used or slightly used can be the best deal, or closeouts/Demo bikes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I can fit on small and medium frames. I am 5'7'' now, but I don't see myself getting any taller maybe an extra inch or so. I prefer small frames with wheels closer to me since it just feels more maneuverable but I can fair with having a longer frame giving me more stability.

I'd actually like to spend $400, since I don't have much money. But $400 just seems to get me XC bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eshew View Post

The list price they have on that is total BS. No way it could ever sell for $2k.

Their joke of marketing is all about false advertising.

They even mention comparing it to a Gary Fisher. Best of my knowledge Gary Fisher has not made a bike since around 2010.

You get decent parts spec for the price, but the bike as a whole aint worth looking at.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    But for a Atroz Comp 2016 for $700 would that be a good deal with re sale value at the end?

Has tubeless tires as an extra upgrade. Frame is my size.

the half breed devil
    But for a Atroz Comp 2016 for $700 would that be a good deal with re sale value at the end?

Has tubeless tires as an extra upgrade. Frame is my size.
    resale "value" and a $700 mail order mountain bike just don't add up in my humble opinion.

but at any rate, to get an idea:

https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/

good luck.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Maybe if I can possibly get him down to $600 would it be worth it?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rocky-Mount...kAAOSwyP5aGLmN

I like this one better. Even used

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Curious about depreciation on bicycles
    It's horrific. It's only slightly less horrific as you get closer the end of the alphabet (Specialized, Santa Cruz, Trek).

/end lesson

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    Stuff from bikes duh rect is worth 50% of what you paid once you sign the receiving papers from the delivery company.
    Yup, and it's not much different when buying at a bike shop either.
    MTBs depreciate like crazy, regardless of how well you care for them or how many parts you swap out as 'upgrades'.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Are you going to school for accounting?

I was gifted for my birthday a couple years ago a Framed MN 2.2 which I rode for the winter season that involved some commuting and "trail" riding. The price including tax was 1100 I believe and I got a year warranty, which I definitely used. I sold it, almost exactly a year later, with some new parts: stem, handlebars, grips, tires, OG unused crankset and rings and OG pedals. The buyer also got all the OG parts not attached to the bike and a decent stand I'd made from PVC. I also got the bike checked out at the LBS prior to listing it. I got 600 for it. Framed is a bit like BD, some of their advertising is misleading. A bike is worth more than the monetary sum and is worth more than the sum of its parts. A bike is quality of life, it's adventure, it's freedom... think of it in terms of what you can do with it and not what it costs and you will find the bike to be worth more than than the money you spent on it. In fact, it already will be, it will the time you took to earn the money that you spent on the bike. That varies unfortunately with some of us getting more for our time than others. Keep your eye on the trail, not on your wallet. It's a losing monetary proposition, but it helps you feel like you won in life!
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Buy somebody else's 2 year old bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I flip used bikes on craigslist. In general it seems to be that a bike depreciates about 1/3 of its purchase price as soon as it leaves the sales floor. After 3-4 years of riding, it's down to about half its purchase price. These are really rough numbers and don't take into account the desirability/condition of the bike plus how many are listed on ebay/craigslist at the time of sale. What season it is where you live also plays a big role in the resale value and length of time before sale of a bike.

In my experience, certain brands hold their value well because they have widespread acclaim and are small enough to be exotic, but aren't too niche to be unknown. The most notable examples of this are Santa Cruz, Yeti, and Ibis. Every bike from these on craigslist has an inflated value compared to similar bikes from the bigger companies - Specialized, Giant, Trek etc. A Specialized Stumpjumper that cost $3000 originally will be $1500 after 3-4 years while a $3000 Santa Cruz Bronson will be closer to $2000 all because of the Nomad's reputation and the perceived superiority of Santa Cruz (whether this is real or not is up to you).

If you want a bike that holds its value, buy a used Santa Cruz, Yeti, Ibis, etc. Meet the owner at a bike shop and get it assessed to see if there are issues with it before buying. The bike that is going to hold its value next best is a used bike from a big but not 'boutique' manufacturer like Trek, Giant, or Specialized etc.